Modelling the UFOdreadnought

PaulJay

Hi people, after refreshing some of the most essential blender skills, I am going to model the UFOdreadnought. Unfortunately there is only a single image available showing a dreadnought from above, so the rest of its surface remains undefined (this will require some imagination, of course). It is also not clear, how many entries the dreadnought should have (I thing it should have at least three entries like UFOcarrier, UFOcruiser or UFObattleship). Ideas from other members are always welcome.

For me the UFOdreadnought looks more like a classical UFO.

There is another reference avalailable on web:

http://ignusdei.deviantart.com/art/Xenonauts-Mothership-514468827

Edited by PaulJay
broken link

I would like to see that like original X-Com battleships.

http://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/ufo-battleship.html here you can see it. I think it's simple but nice design.

You can ask chris for UFO models of the game. If he has them, i think he can share them with you.

Note: Try to make one post, with editing the first one if you need to add something. Max_Caine will hunt you down for this, sooner or later :P..

Edited by drages

I would like to see that like original X-Com battleships.

I totally agree, its layout suits realy well with the Dreadnought's form. When I recognize it properly the X-COM battleship has 4 entries?

Try to make one post, with editing the first one if you need to add something. Max_Caine will hunt you down for this, sooner or later :P..
I agree again. Edited by PaulJay

Drakes, do you know whether the UFO ships have got any thrusters. They seem to not to be really noticeable on the images.

For Xenonauts they are all at backside. This is about game engine which every plane/ufo got direction which needs to turn.. They cant move like standard ufos for every direction.. so dreadnought needs trusters at back too..

Guys, I've finally started modelling :) . I've decided to model each enclosing plate of the hull indiviually - which will allow us to remove them/or raplace by damaged parts later or just make some holes.

Ok, what I am not sure about it, is how much detail should I add to it - this is not so important at the moment anyway. I'll post some results when I think there is need to discuss some details.

Edited by PaulJay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It were interesting to fight assault missions on this type of UFO in space or somewhere in stratosphere with the space ambiente in the background. We could make this UFO a really huge one -- maybe as large as the base in vanilla game. What do you think about it, drages?

However it would require manufacturing a spacecraft to get the xenonauts/x-division soldiers to the space.

Edited by PaulJay

We think about it with Kabill at old days. Making a "map" special for dreadnought rather then UFO itself. It would save tons of work. You only need a place from dropship. BUT even you make the map with full of alien UFO tiles, you need to make a "UFO" and command room for it.. because like dropship, game engine needs a UFO for it too.. the player will see the map as an ufo interrior like a base but one part of it will be UFO coded and a command room will be inside it..

This is a solution for ground missions. But assaulting to an ufo at air should need some core coding. Maybe crazy Solver can handle it..