Xenonauts 2 - Update

Chris

Well, I don't think the genre is "saturated". Xenonauts and the new X-Com series by Firaxis are very different. They may have a similar theme, but that's about it. It's kind of like saying the ground combat space is full because we have ARMA III and Modern Combat 5 and COD:Black Ops 3.

I dont think 3D engine in Xenonaus 2 game is good idea. I love Xenonauts for oldschool 2D this is the essence of this game thats why i supported u on Kicstarter. I dont whant to play another clone of XCOM Enemy Uknown. I love oldschool style with 2D graphic with beautifully hand drawn backgrounds. Im thinking also im not gonna buy this game if u gonna do graphic similar us XCOM Enemy Uknown.

Well you could just as well argue that turn-based strategies could become the next craze, similar to this recent surge in popularity of indie "roguelike-likes" such as FTL, Spelunky, Convoy, etc.

EDIT: On second thought, just call it a rogue-like and it should sell well, regardless.

Edited by lemm

Well you could just as well argue that turn-based strategies could become the next craze, similar to this recent surge in popularity of indie "roguelike-likes" such as FTL, Spelunky, Convoy, etc.

EDIT: On second thought, just call it a rogue-like and it should sell well, regardless.

three words 'Xenonauts-Rogue like'

lol, just kidding.

I much prefer the 2d stlye art myself, but I also realize it is a dying art much like Cel animation. Cel Shaded 3d graphics might work almost as well, but man, its disappointing.

Looking forward to what this turns into. Please not the same time period though. We did the 60's/70's, Lets do the 80's now. Cell phones as big as bricks baby!

Hi everyone,

I just registered to this forums to post my interest about Xenonauts 2. I really enjoyed the 1st one, found it quite refreshing and a really fun alternative to new XCOMs. I would be more than super happy to see a 2nd game one day.

I like better Xenonauts' "realistic" design and its grim atmosphere (art style, music, etc), compared to XCOM. I think it would be wise to improve Xenonauts' aspects which make the game different and unique. I'm talking about the art, the aircraft combat, and last but not the least, the multiple bases management (which is very fun).

You've already been working on the 2st two, which is great news!

About the combat, hexagons or improvement of the current 8 direction-tiles is IMO essential; XCOM's 4 side is annoying, really.

Thank you for your hard work and for giving us the opportunity to play a sweet and unique game (though quite hard, which is why it's so fun :)

Please, keep up the good work

I still have to manage my first playthrough in Xenonauts. I bought it recentry with Humblebundle, just before I played X-Com EU/EW, which was a sad experience because I liked the game, but hated the bugs. Another squad unit game I played recently was the Shadowrun Returns game, which I liked very much, too, but it was too short and maybe I played it on a too easy difficulty.

Xenonauts is great and I really love the 2D isometric combat. It is clear, I can see everything. I would like more to have a good 2D engine than a 3D engine where I lose oversight. (I didn't like X-Com for that matter, I always missed a wall or an opening and got surprised by enemy Forces. I never got when a wall is visible or transparent.) If you get a 3D engine done which feels like 2D isometric, that would be perfect. Important Thing for me would be that you can not only see some tiles like in other squad unit games, but a huge field like in Xenonauts.

As I understand, your next game will be squad unit combat, but not necessarily Xenonauts 2? So I have to be honest, I don't need to have another Alien defence Simulation if you can make another tactical squad unit game with another Story. I really would like some SWAT game in New York, for example. Or Shooting Aliens in Cardiff. (How great would be a Torchwood licence for a squad unit game? Rhetorical question.)

3D Art Style: The image posted above is NOT our final art style. Our biggest concern regarding Xenonauts 2 is whether we can create a workable 3D art style - this not only has to look good in 3D but ideally will also reference the 2D sprite style of Xenonauts 1.

The image shows the sort of quality we think we can reasonably generate in a mission using a standard realistic art style (admittedly we're cheating a bit with the placement of some of the wooden pallets). We've deliberately recreated some assets from Xenonauts 1 to allow us to test and compare it more effectively.

Now we have some decent-quality assets in the engine, we're going to run some tests over the next few weeks on how we can try to make the art style look a bit more 2D and hand-painted. A very important element of this could be creating an outline shader for the game that adds a thin black outline to all of the objects; this was actually something we used extensively in Xenonauts 1 and it played a large part in making props and units "pop" from the background. Unfortunately it's much harder to do in 3D than it is in 2D, but we'll spend some time on it and see if we can make it work.

Oh wow Chris, I'm so glad to hear you say all this. When I heard Xenonauts 2 would be full 3D I thought "but but but the beautiful art work!!!". The clean lines that make your spacecraft POP are just fantastic. I'm no art critic, but I think Xenonauts 1 is a gorgeous game and somehow less "cartoony" than XCOM 2012 despite being literal drawings.

You've won me over :) Where do I pre-order (again)?

I really loved playing Xenonauts 1 because it had the time-units you could use to meticulously plan your path (faithful to X-COM 1). The only thing I didn't really like were the graphics.

If you would keep the same core gameplay, but with improved graphics (2d is fine, 3d is also good) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Must say I would have LOVED a Xenonauts-style game with an original world, original lore and original villains, rather than yet another XCOM reimagining...

...but Xenonauts is my favorite game in years, so I'm gonna put my trust in the good folks at Goldhawk and look forward to this all the same.

Can't tell you how much I love Xenonauts. I've missed ye olde "UFO: Enemy Unknown" for such a long time. You guys have done a great job! So, for Xenonauts 2, you guys are making underwater gameplay available, right? Like in "X-COM: Terror from the Deep". Yes? :)

Must say I would have LOVED a Xenonauts-style game with an original world, original lore and original villains, rather than yet another XCOM reimagining...

...but Xenonauts is my favorite game in years, so I'm gonna put my trust in the good folks at Goldhawk and look forward to this all the same.

The premise might be a tale as old as time, (Aliens attack earth, the heroes fight back, the humans adapt the technology and prevail.) but I have to say that the writers pulled it off with style.

I often point to the Xenonauts tech-explaination as a fine example of consistency in-fiction.

How do plasma weapons overcome the bloom problem? Tech from the established anti gravity.

Is singularity weaponry vyable? Yes, but we needed to design an inhibitor for it.

Won't the aliens just call another fleet once we destroy this one? Yes. Our plan involves creating a warp-inhibitor to prevent future invasions.

The premise might be a tale as old as time; but if Goldhawk is telling it, it's a tale I would like to hear again.

(Edit* Though maybe we get to space this time? I can still dream.)

the 3d pic looks very good.

I for one don't mind it being 3d. especially if it is cheaper for you and thus makes you able to get more stuff done (I seem to recall an old post by you guys explaining that the 2d route ended up costing more money than if you had gone 3d, as the assets were created in 3d and then transformed to 2d by hand or something).

There are games already showing that you can do 3d in different artistic styles, so I don't see it as a limiter in which style can be used.