[X:CE 0.33HF2] freeze on alien turn in or near cruiser with wraith enemies

mamkablam

Took me a while to realize that when there are wraiths during a ground mission, I always get an alien turn that never ends.

This only occurs when 1) there are wraith enemies and 2) when my team is near or entering the grounded cruiser. My team fights it's why up to the cruiser during the mission with no problem, even encountering and killing a wraith or two away from the ship.

I can only guess that the issue is related to a wraith trying and failing to teleport. I hear doors slide, sometimes the psionic attack sound (typical alien turn sounds), but the alien turn never ends.

As my own personal workaround, if I discover a wraith on a ground mission, I reload to an earlier save (after the aerial battle but before engaging the ground mission), and then airstrike the site rather than intercept. Because it ALWAYS eventually happens when I get near the ship. If no wraiths, then I can engage and complete the ground mission.

It's always been a cruiser, but I have not encountered larger ships yet, so it may occur on those as well.

I use a few mods that I will list in order below. Maybe they are related to the problem. I also play through Steam.

Delux Geoscape Cheat Mod (yes, I am a wimp at games)

Enhanced Crash Sites

Khall's More Portraits

Steel Gonad's Names of the World

Lore +

Instant Grenades

Khall's Tundra Tilesets

and of course the three parts of the X:CE .33HF2 mods

Odd. I just completed a ground mission with wraiths forr the first time. Killed two while clearing the map. Two more telepoted outside the cruiser as I approached. The fifth was still in the cruiser cockpit. I kept expecting the alien turn to lock up as usual but... for the first time it did not. I had been saving the game between turns in case I needed reload and then abort.

The only difference between this mission and the previous attempts was that it took place after I finally encountered, shot down, and cleared a "massive' ship, a carrier.

Don't see how the carrier would "fix' the wraith turn freeze.

I'll let you know if it happens again.

The above successful mission was a fluke. The wraiths are locking up the enemy turn again. This time I watched it happen thrice.

Approached the cruiser. On the enemy turn, the door slides open and a ceasan throws a grenade. Then the wraith behind him teleports. Or tries to. I see the static ring when the wraith disappears... but it never reappears and the turn locks up.

I reload. Ceasan throws grenade. Wraith just stands there. Alien turn freezes.

I reload. Ceasan throws greande. Wraith actually teleports out to my team. Alien turn locks up.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a save just before the enemy turn. A wraith is about to open a door and take reaction fire. Then the redshirt alien will move. Then you will hear a teleport sound - from an unseen wraith. Then the alien turn locks up.

stupid wraiths.sav

stupid wraiths.sav

stupid wraiths.sav

Here are another 2 saved games. In the first save, during the alien turn, one of the three wraiths shoot, another just repositions but doesn't move nor fire, and then the screen centers on number three, who tries to teleport (I'm guessing) and locks up the alien turn.

In the second save (same battle), I manage to kill the three wraiths, as I see them (so they don't get a turn). But on my next turn I spot a wraith behind a wall/fence and cannot insta-kill it. Then the screen centers on that one during the alien turn and the game locks up.

3 wraiths visible.sav

killed 3, one behind fence.sav

3 wraiths visible.sav

3 wraiths visible.sav

Please try 0.34 . If I load any of the saves and just end the turn, the game doesn't freeze for any of them.

Got 0.34, and the mods in the XCE modpack, but alien turn still freezes when there are wraiths on the battlefield.

I've finally started getting battleships to be able to collect a preator, but since there seems to be wraiths aboard every battleship, I may not be able to finish this game.

Anyway, I appreciate your help and advice - perhaps it's just my system. I'll continue airstriking or aborting when wraiths are about and hope that I can eventually shoot down a battleship that has no wraiths (or that die in the crash).