[V1.59] Names Of The World [V1.17]

steelgonads

workshop_thumb.jpg

Hello, due to several requests by Linux users for whom the Steam Workshop is acting up, I'm posting the latest version of my mod here.

NOTE: Uninstall all my other soldier names mods. This one includes all their content and is tweaked for compatibility. As for the installation itself, just extract the zip to the Xenonauts/assets/mods/ folder (let it create a "SteelGonads Names Of The World" folder)

This mod is a merge of all my previous nationality mods as well as new nationalities and tweaks.
As of version 1.18 these are the features:

More countries, more variety of ethnicities in those countries and probability of occurrence is balanced according to population in 1979.

Currently added/altered countries:

PORTUGAL:
Features:
- 53 female first names, 197 male first names, 173 surnames
- 3 Portuguese regiments
- 3 Portuguese war experiences, all related to the Ultramar war of the 60s-70s
- Portuguese flag in the soldier mission UI.

SOVIET UNION:
Features:
- 106 male first names, 80 female first names, 125 surnames
- Ethnical backgrounds: Russian (extended from original), Ukranian (extended from original) , Belarussian (new or extended), Uzbek (new), Kazakh (new), Tajik (new), Azeri (new), Armenian (new), Moldovan (new), Georgian (new), Lithuanian (new), Latvian (new), Estonian (new), Tatar (new) , Kyrgyz (new) , Turkmen (new) , Chechen (new)
- Retains experience and regiment info.

YUGOSLAVIA:
Features:
- 111 male first names, 90 female first names, 85 surnames
- Ethnical backgrounds: , Serbs/Montenegrins, Croats, Bosniaks, Slovenes, Macedonians, Albanians
- 3 regiments whose existance I'm not completely sure of, but couldn't find much information online.
- No war experience, since between WWII and the 90s, there was no major conflict where Yugoslavians fought, that I'm aware of.
- Yugoslavian flag in the soldier mission UI.

BELGIUM (contributor: Dr Perry Kocks):
Features:
- 100 male Flemish names, 100 female Flemish names, 73 Flemish surnames
- 18 male Wallonian names, 20 female Wallonian names, 17 Wallonian surnames (due to lack of sources, had to go with the ones used for France in the vanilla game)
- 2 Regiments, 1 war experience (Congo)
- Belgian flag in the soldier mission UI.

NETHERLANDS (contributor: Dr Perry Kocks):
Features:
- 114 male names, 85 female names, 100 surnames.
- Retains experience and regiment info.

CHILE (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 99 male names, 99 female names, 100 surnames
- 3 Regiments, 1 war experience (Tierra del Fuego)
- Chilean flag in the soldier mission UI

TURKEY (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 101 male names, 100 female names, 37 surnames
- 4 Regiments, 1 war experience (Cyprus)
- Turkish flag in the soldier mission UI

AUSTRIA (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 60 male names, 60 female names, 40 surnames
- 2 Regiments
- Austrian flag in the soldier mission UI

IRELAND (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 99 male names, 103 female names, 60 surnames
- 1 Regiment, 1 war experience (Congo)
- Irish flag in the soldier mission UI

NORWAY (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 56 male names, 40 female names, 100 surnames
- 2 Regiments
- Norwegian flag in the soldier mission UI

SWITZERLAND (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 100 male names, 50 female names, 772 (!!!) surnames
- 2 Regiments
- Swiss flag in the soldier mission UI

BULGARIA (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 65 male names, 68 female names, 100 surnames
- 1 Regiment, 3 experiences
- Bulgarian flag in the soldier mission UI

ROMANIA (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 50 male names, 48 female names, 36 surnames
- 2 Regiments
- Romanian flag in the soldier mission UI

BRAZIL
Features:
- 60 male names, 70 female names, 50 surnames
- 3 Regiments, 1 war experience
- Brazilian flag in the soldier mission UI

ARGENTINA (contributor: Yunusoglu):
Features:
- 79 male names, 80 female names, 101 surnames
- 3 Regiments
- Argentinian flag in the soldier mission UI

Tweaked countries:

HUNGARY (contributor: Yunusoglu):
- Added experience
GREECE (contributor: Yunusoglu):
- Added experience

COMPATIBLITY:
This mod has been tested for compatibility with "Khall's More Portraits".

COMPATIBLITY:
This mod has been tested for compatibility with "Khall's More Portraits".

7CC3A3B7C25FCFA43ECB764BB31798AA576FA283

9B8CF439A6640A2034F01D612BB18E4A1F59DC4F

F3746F60AEE34A3F4129E70EA2C3B727EC63918B

NamesOfTheWorld.zip

workshop_thumb.jpg

NamesOfTheWorld.zip

workshop_thumb.jpg.6ade273437a5e1ed8f78a

NamesOfTheWorld.zip

Edited by steelgonads

Aaaah There is a slight bug in this mod.

When activated with all the mods in my Choices part 1 recommended mod list...

It randomly crashed out the whole game before writing any log entries at least 50 percent of the time when starting a new game.

After that its fine, This would be fine for me as once you are playing the game and using saves it seems to be fine. But I don't want to add this to my recommended list if it introduces any stability issues.

Sorry I cant provide more feedback as I said, it crashes before the logs are updated.

I will try reordering it in my mods list to see if we can locate it in a position where it is happy. you said you was using this with "Khall's More Portraits" do you have this mod before or after that?

The mod alters strings.xml, soldiernames.xml and soldiernamesfemale.xml. Everything else is new (flags in the "gui" folder). As for strings.xml, if the merging is working fine, there should never be a problem. In the soldier names files I made a MODMERGE="deleteall" command at the beginning of both files and then a MODMERGE="insert" for every nation, so the way it works is by deleting all soldier names and then remaking them all from scratch. That means that any mods that are loaded before this one that edit the "Nation" tags in soldiernames.xml and soldiernamesfemale.xml have their changes rendered void. Maybe that causes the crash?

I know that Khall's portraits require a tweak to the soldiernames.xml where he redefines the size of the portrait pool for each ethnicity. Anyway, that shouldn't be a problem, because that's the "Ethnicity" tag and i do a deleteall in the "Nation" tag.

Anyway, here's my loading order:

Screenshot 2015-09-02 12.17.13.jpg

Does mod merging happen the same way in the Steam and non-Steam versions of the game?

Screenshot 2015-09-02 12.17.13.jpg

577e7d4cd3ba4_Screenshot2015-09-0212.17.

Edited by steelgonads

I put this mod before the Khalls's more portraits just in case to see if the stabilises everything.

Now I have played with your mod enabled, I can see people will love it. its subtle but adds a nicer game experience.

I have restarted the game 10 times now and seems to be behaving ok.

Will post back with my results.

[EDIT]

Nope still crashes...I was beginning to think it was one of my mods but if I switch your mod off it does not crash anymore.... the only other mod with the same files is Khalls more portaits...

Maybe I will put them even further apart in case the mod files are processed in parallel.

Edited by aajs

I am going to turn of Khalls more portraits and switch your mod on and see if that also eliminates all crashes.. If so it looks like your mods are not compatible.

Which the best way around that would be to merge them into a combined awesome mod that does both.

However I thought as I am constantly reloading and starting my game from scratch to test some other mods I can cover this for you at the same time.

Steelgonads - I just checked, I get crashes from time to time too. I looked through your file and started wondering:

2015-09-04 17_47_59-Clipboard.jpg

Does Xenonauts engine like a diacritic mark in a name? It might explain why it SOMETIMES - but not always - crashes during starting a new game - when it generates the names.

BTW, it's true that the list is monumental and a great addition to Xenonauts.

2015-09-04 17_47_59-Clipboard.jpg

577e7d4cdbecc_2015-09-0417_47_59-Clipboa

Edited by orlinos

Steelgonads - I just checked, I get crashes from time to time too. I looked through your file and started wondering:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6583[/ATTACH]

Does Xenonauts engine like a diacritic mark in a name? It might explain why it SOMETIMES - but not always - crashes during starting a new game - when it generates the names.

BTW, it's true that the list is monumental and a great addition to Xenonauts.

Aah that sounds like a valid reason. Because I tested this without khallis portraits and it still crashes. I bet if it does not crash on your machine then you have some extended character sets installed that we do not have. Is it possible you can retest with some more standard characters.

I tried removing non-ASCII characters - using http://textmechanic.com/Remove-Letter-Accents.html and RegEx search in Notepad++

[^\x00-\x7F]+ 

It seems crashes are recurring less often but they still do. Also, I tried deactivating all other mods (including Khall's More Portraits) and it still crashes.

We need to do something about it, since I really love these new names. :o

Ah, well spotted. In my game i can see those accents, but since i'm portuguese i probably have an extended character set. I'm going to do a massive replacement of non-english characters in my next version.

Nice, and at least you know now that it will be very well received.

I Look forward to seeing it. :D

OK, replaced all the non-english characters i could find. From scandinavian vowels, portuguese accents, spanish accents and turkish characters. Also removed a lonely Å  i found lost in there.

Can you guys test it please? To me it doesn't affect at all.

I will hopefully have time to do some testing for you tonight. Will report back if there are any issues.

Says here you're from Belgium. Went to google translate to see what "map" was in french and dutch, so time for a little lesson in english: The word you are looking for is "folder" or "directory". In english, "map" is a representation of of a geographical location, like a map of Belgium or a map of your city. This game also has "maps" as in the playing surfaces where you fight the aliens or the geoscape. My mod has no maps, only folders.

nice1 so many good translater programs but you use the crappiest translater program.

okidoki but when i point my cursor on a folder or directory on my pc it says map because map in dutch can mean all off the above but allso what i said

but whatever it still doenst work like it should/like i would it would work

nice1 so many good translater programs but you use the crappiest translater program.

okidoki but when i point my cursor on a folder or directory on my pc it says map because map in dutch can mean all off the above but allso what i said

That's such a nice way of being grateful to somebody who took the effort to decipher a nonsensical problem description instead of simply ignoring it.

but whatever it still doenst work like it should/like i would it would work

But whatever, as long as you cannot describe a problem properly it will remain only your problem.