XMC Part 1: (Ground Combat) Version 1.0 for XCE 0.33 HF1

aajs

I realize this is a really really late message, but on the off chance I get a reply, I decided to ask this question.

So it took me way longer than it should have to get the mods to work, and when I finally got everything installed and running dandy, I ran into a little issue.

Every single modded item has a strange name. Most of the vehicles are named ###### and a lot of the weapons and misc items have names that seem like they would have fit better in the coding (i.e, instead of bandage, it'll have a name like item.misc.bandage, or something along those lines). Although I've only played a half an hour into the game, most things appear to be working great otherwise...

But it makes it a bit difficult to prioritize research when every none-vanilla research project has ##### as its title.

I'm not sure if I screwed up the mod order somehow, or if one of the mods I have installed no longer work well with yours (this is the first time I've tried to mod the game outside the steam workshop, and also the first time I've used the Community Edition, so all this is a bit new to me :P) but if anyone still visits this forum, I'd really appreciate a response!

EDIT: Wow I feel dumb... I didn't notice the date at the top of the messages, I thought the join date was the date the message was posted... if you can't tell, this is also my first time using these forums. Sorry about that xD.

I realize this is a really really late message, but on the off chance I get a reply, I decided to ask this question.

So it took me way longer than it should have to get the mods to work, and when I finally got everything installed and running dandy, I ran into a little issue.

Every single modded item has a strange name. Most of the vehicles are named ###### and a lot of the weapons and misc items have names that seem like they would have fit better in the coding (i.e, instead of bandage, it'll have a name like item.misc.bandage, or something along those lines). Although I've only played a half an hour into the game, most things appear to be working great otherwise...

But it makes it a bit difficult to prioritize research when every none-vanilla research project has ##### as its title.

I'm not sure if I screwed up the mod order somehow, or if one of the mods I have installed no longer work well with yours (this is the first time I've tried to mod the game outside the steam workshop, and also the first time I've used the Community Edition, so all this is a bit new to me :P) but if anyone still visits this forum, I'd really appreciate a response!

EDIT: Wow I feel dumb... I didn't notice the date at the top of the messages, I thought the join date was the date the message was posted... if you can't tell, this is also my first time using these forums. Sorry about that xD.

Well at least you have come up with a unique issue, nobody has ever reported this before and its not an issue with the mod as I am currently using these mods as part of my testing (I am still adding more content to the mods).

Sounds very odd what you are seeing, if you see the long names, its as If your mod is not reading the strings.xml correctly from the mods, however that would normally make the screen make all item descriptions appear like this ########

Therefore something is definitely not quite right.

Are you by any chance using a language conversion?

Nope, not that I know of anyway.

It could be that I didn't install the mods correctly? I wasn't sure how to actually put them in the game, since you uploaded them as RAR files and the in-game modloader doesn't read those. People keep talking about a mod folder, but if I have one, I have no idea where it is. So instead I just extracted the folders and copied their contents into new ZIPs with the same names as the RARs. They seem to be running great like I said besides the whole name issue.

Nope, not that I know of anyway.

It could be that I didn't install the mods correctly? I wasn't sure how to actually put them in the game, since you uploaded them as RAR files and the in-game modloader doesn't read those. People keep talking about a mod folder, but if I have one, I have no idea where it is. So instead I just extracted the folders and copied their contents into new ZIPs with the same names as the RARs. They seem to be running great like I said besides the whole name issue.

Well its certainly an interesting approach.

Are you using the steam version?

Yep.

In that case, If you have the time and are prepared to start again.

I would uninstall xenonauts and re-install it, or at least let steam check your installation and repair all you files.

Then download my mods again, (or anybody elses) un rar them to folder...think you can rename the to .zip and unzip them, then copy them to your mods folder for XCE.

Your mods folder should be in a similar place to mine.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods

So all I really did was drag your mods out of the folder, check the integrity of the cache through steam, then put them back in...

And I can see the names now!

I wasn't expecting it to be that simple... I assumed it was a mod issue that could only be fixed by messing with the mods, but nope. I guess it was probably something to do with the community edition, because I also never used it prior to getting your mods. Well, whatever it was, I know how to solve it now.

Thanks for the responses! Even though the solution was so simple, finally knowing the location of the mod folder is going to be a life saver if I add more mods in the future.

So all I really did was drag your mods out of the folder, check the integrity of the cache through steam, then put them back in...

And I can see the names now!

I wasn't expecting it to be that simple... I assumed it was a mod issue that could only be fixed by messing with the mods, but nope. I guess it was probably something to do with the community edition, because I also never used it prior to getting your mods. Well, whatever it was, I know how to solve it now.

Thanks for the responses! Even though the solution was so simple, finally knowing the location of the mod folder is going to be a life saver if I add more mods in the future.

My pleasure,

Thanks for not giving up.

I am now upgrading this Mod to support XCE 0.34 RC4 (Currently Unofficial)

So you may or may not see some strange side effects as I will be uploaded my mods on ad hock basis.

This new version should make it much easier to use my mods as a lot of the extra mods I recommend to download seem to be included with this version.

Once done I will update my links etc, and post a new recommended order.

I will post new dates against my links once done, so its easy to tell what I have updated.

Hey, i have some odd issue.

Many workshop projects are called "none". I cant make the anti-gravity device, for example. Some itens i cant found either, like the fighter datacore.

I am playing withe default steam version (not XCE). This could be the problem? When i tried XCE i got some strange crashes.

Hey, i have some odd issue.

Many workshop projects are called "none". I cant make the anti-gravity device, for example. Some itens i cant found either, like the fighter datacore.

I am playing withe default steam version (not XCE). This could be the problem? When i tried XCE i got some strange crashes.

If you are playing with default steam and not XCE, I am pretty amazed that anything actually works.

I would recommend you spend the time getting the XCE version working as is much more stable and has much less bugs than the original, not to mention all the lovely added content and pretty much all the best supporting mods included.

If you get stuck, I am sure we can all chip in and help you get it setup.

If you are using steam its real easy as it basically does everything for you.

I am playing with XCE version 34. And I am having the same problem with NONE as Techmago. I do find the alien fighter and make it one of mine. SO now I have an alien fighter to fly....really long range but mostly a lot like my fighters. But a lot smaller in the hanger...too bad hangers can only hold one flying thing....

I did notice one thing...I went thru your XMLs and noticed in the manufacture.xml that some items are labeled as Extraterrial (spelling)...these items may be the ones labeled as None as there is not Extra'l listing in the Workshops.

Edited by Larry Burstyn
added Extra'l note

I am playing with XCE version 34. And I am having the same problem with NONE as Techmago. I do find the alien fighter and make it one of mine. SO now I have an alien fighter to fly....really long range but mostly a lot like my fighters. But a lot smaller in the hanger...too bad hangers can only hold one flying thing....

I did notice one thing...I went thru your XMLs and noticed in the manufacture.xml that some items are labeled as Extraterrial (spelling)...these items may be the ones labeled as None as there is not Extra'l listing in the Workshops.

Erm not sure if I understand exactly what you are telling me, however I do have a hidden category at the bottom of the manufacturing list that can actually be clicked on. this is a limitation of the current xenonauts game and its the only way I can return certain items back to the inventory without making them manufacturable or unlimited. If its this blank entry that you see all the entries listed as none, then please just ignore them as they are just designed to be placeholder and are not supposed to create anything.

However if you have researched something and are getting none In any of the conventional category names, then please let me know what you was researching before the entry that said "none" appeared, I will then know what needs to be fixed.

Erm not sure if I understand exactly what you are telling me, however I do have a hidden category at the bottom of the manufacturing list that can actually be clicked on. this is a limitation of the current xenonauts game and its the only way I can return certain items back to the inventory without making them manufacturable or unlimited. If its this blank entry that you see all the entries listed as none, then please just ignore them as they are just designed to be placeholder and are not supposed to create anything.

However if you have researched something and are getting none In any of the conventional category names, then please let me know what you was researching before the entry that said "none" appeared, I will then know what needs to be fixed.

Hmm. The hidden category is where all the NONE appear...thanks for the clarification. Placeholders...oh well...guess I wasted some of my precious MONEY. Trying to find out what NONE meant.

Hmm looks like the mod doesnt work properly on XCE 0.34.

Noticed the starting facility placement is default (not like it should be according to mod's gameconfig.xml)

Starting placement works fine for me.

Check that my part 1 choices mod is top of the list and secondly delete the files in this location.

(this is my location on steam) C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Goldhawk Interactive\Xenonauts\internal\scripts

I noticed sometimes these scripts don't always update as they should and deleting them forces them to get recreated.

I always do this when starting a new game or re-ordering mods.

Love your work by the way. Excellent mod! I have found a few glitches, but nothing I couldn't work around.

Had a crash level that couldn't get past turn 2, and I had to reload to an earlier save before the crash mission as that save point was salvageable. Don't know if that was related to your mod or XCE itself.

I have noticed that Quick Save works but Quick Load doesn't, but that's only a minor annoyance.

Also, do these updates mean we are safe to update past XCE .33 HF1 without experiencing problems?

One last question; will the command center change work for current or only new bases, or do we have to start over completely to get them?

Command centre is an update, so will replace all existing bases.

It does seem to work fine after XCE 33. In fact I am using it with the latest update.

I will have a few more items to add plus, I need to fix the issues you have been kind enough to help find.

Then I will post all my mods again with a new version stamp.

I was kind of planning to play it through fixing and changing any graphics / sounds I don't like.

However I have been so busy lately I have not had a chance to play it.

Edited by aajs

Command centre is an update, so will replace all existing bases.

It does seem to work fine after XCE 33. In fact I am using it with the latest update.

I will have a few more items to add plus, I need to fix the issues you have been kind enough to help find.

Then I will post all my mods again with a new version stamp.

I was kind of planning to play it through fixing and changing any graphics / sounds I don't like.

However I have been so busy lately I have not had a chance to play it.

Awesome, thank you!