X:CE or X 1.59?

I have been a little out of the loop for a while, but now want to jump back into some Xenonauts and modding. Is Xenonauts 1.59 the version I should be playing? Or is there a more recent Community Edition which improves on 1.59? Also, anyone have some must have mods guidance?

I would appreciate any advice.

X:CE 0.33 HF1, definitely.

"Hidden movement" is speeding things up a lot - which is important for me, with my cautious approach. Interface improvements work great. AI hides, snipe-camps, strikes from the shadows and massacres poor Xenonauts like hell. ;-)

Since door opening action now allows for reflex shots - you can make great traps and shoot damn sebilians running out for a walk from the spaceship or opening a building door. Mind you - this works both ways, so I advise breaching UFO doors with rockets, C4 and avoiding direct contact with aliens, until you thin their ranks.

Right! A few additional mods I recommend - which only enhance, but do not change the vanilla experience.

1) Skitso's improved tile art pack - I believe it's best to just copy its content to the main game folder, since it does not work well with modular moding. Check out the screenshots if you want to decide if you like the subtle changes it introduces.

2) Restored Community Map Pack - even more maps, but be careful, some of them are pretty deadly even to experienced soldiers. I still live in horror after one visit to the warehouse on the water and after crossing a bridge while being assaulted by multiple Reapers and sniped by a lonely Sebillian camping in a school...

3) Ambience Forest - more sounds in forest maps.

There are even more mods, haven't tried them all, since I yet need to finish the vanilla game. ;-)

If you are afraid of breaking something while experimenting with mods - you can just copy the whole Xenonauts folder and install folders into the copy.

Have fun!

Wow, XCE is much improved things since last I tried it. And I love that there is no hidden movement turn anymore; that always took forever and didn't add anything to gameplay.

I will definitely try those other mods too. More maps and sounds are just whats needed. Thanks!