Soviet Equipment

Hi,

I think the "original" Mig-32 is the MiG-25 Foxbat or the MiG-31 Foxhound. The MiG-25 is little larger and the fastest combat Aircarft in the World, beside the A-12 with never gets into production. The MiG-31 is a little more agile in Aircombat. Both are pure Interceptors Designed to hunt the fastest US Aircrafts like the SR-71 Blackbird oder XB-70 Valkyrie.

Hello All,

I was not able to find any information regarding the planed Solviet equipment.

Should we expect items like:

AK-47 (Everyone has heard of it):D:D:D:D

AK-74

Makarov

Dragunov

PKM Machine gun

Here is one useful link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Weapons_of_the_Soviet_Union

In my opinion Solviet weapons are much better then M-16 for example and having them in the game will make it more realistic. Even if you don’t agree with my personal opinion, you all need to agree with the fact that it is funny/unrealistic to see Russian soldiers using M-16 especially in 1979.

Vladislav

They're more generic, recognisable weapons (i.e. its not an actual M-16, etc). Arguably, an AK-47 is much more recognisable than an M-16, but an M-16 does look closer to the rest of the weapons.

That and all the art and sprites have already been done.

In case you're wondering, yes, this was brought up and argued about on the old forums very early on. Its not likely to change, but a possible later DLC or something would be new weapon skins for Soviet equipment (which would involve making new sprites for every new weapon and armour combination).

Why should it be unrealistic?

I think in an alien invasion only Elite Units would take the combat on human side.

Mostly all EliteUnits have an official Ordonance weapon, but for combat they can normaly choose between any weapon available.

The Vietnam war is ongoning in RL at this time, so I think NVA and VC have already claimed some M-16 and send them to Russia.

I have no problem with Russian Xenonauts soldiers using NATO equipment. Makes sense that the organization chooses one assault rifle/shotgun/pistol etc. to be their standard issue and trains everyone to use it, no matter what their country of origin uses.

We're thinking about having a Russian weapon DLC pack. More details will follow in the next couple of months (it ties into something bigger so there's a reason behind it) but basically it'd be a checkbox where you choose whether your starting weapons are NATO or Warsaw Pact depending on your preference. Stats would be the same.

So yeah, watch this space.

Hello All,

I was not able to find any information regarding the planed Solviet equipment.

Should we expect items like:

AK-47 (Everyone has heard of it):D:D:D:D

AK-74

Makarov

Dragunov

PKM Machine gun

Here is one useful link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Weapons_of_the_Soviet_Union

In my opinion Solviet weapons are much better then M-16 for example and having them in the game will make it more realistic. Even if you don’t agree with my personal opinion, you all need to agree with the fact that it is funny/unrealistic to see Russian soldiers using M-16 especially in 1979.

Vladislav

The Ak47 and the M16 are both good weapons, but they have their differences. The M16 has better long range accuracy (550 meters effective range on a point target vs 400 in burst and 300 in full auto for the ak47), while the Ak47 has better penetration due to the heavy 7.62mm rounds. However this also means that a soldier can carry less rounds.

Assuming 10kg of ammo is carried:

Ak47 = 10 - 30 round magazines( 300 rounds) (.92 kg ea for a total of 9.2kg)

M16 = 22 - 30 round magazines ( 660 rounds) (.45 kg ea for a total of 9.9kg)

Very early M16s had reliability problems, but by 1979, when the game is set, these problems had been resolved. While it can't take the extreme abuse an ak47 can, it is a reliable combat weapon.

So as I said they both have their advantages. I'll take the m16 with its better accuracy and being able to carry over twice the ammo. The 5.56mm rounds have plenty of stopping power. However if someone took the ak47 with its better penetration and ability to be buried in mud and keep firing, that is a good choice too.

Edited by DrunkZombie

I suppose the countries/cultures etc. are all the same in tems of battlescape visual style, whether the battle is occuring in usa or ussr? The only factor being climate?

Of course now is not the time to start making extra textures for different countires, but I was just wondering if this was possible in the future? Is it going to be possible to make a mod where the russian soldiers use not only AK's but also those fancy sailor uniforms? Not to mention the visuals of the territory; maybe different looking architecture/posters/cars etc.?

The game propably tracks on which funder's territory the battle is fought; maybe this can be used as a trigger?

I suppose the countries/cultures etc. are all the same in tems of battlescape visual style, whether the battle is occuring in usa or ussr? The only factor being climate?

The game propably tracks on which funder's territory the battle is fought; maybe this can be used as a trigger?

Don't know what Chris' plans are for this, and I know it would be lots of hard work to implement it, but yeah, would be nice to see some variation on the terrain, buildings and people depending on the area. I don't expect it to be 100% accurate each time, but If I have a mission in southern Africa for example, would be nice for the civilians and the map to look like I'm in that part of the world.

The maps will change depending on where you land for the mission.

This will obviously be limited to similar map styles as X-Com.

For example landing in some areas will give you a desert map while others would be farmland.

There is a map editor though so you can always add more specific tilesets at a later date.

One of the things those Soviet weapon packs would be connected to is more realistic local forces and civilians based upon where the mission starts. So yes, keep watching this space. It'll probably be a couple of months till we officially announce anything in that regard but it's in the works.

@DrunkZombie

Sure you can carry more ammunition. On the other hand you need more ammunition, if you enemy is behind cover. With an AK-47 no Problem. Thats the main problem in irak or afghanistan at the moment. The 5.56 mm NATO has not enough power. So why not put the 6.5 mm grendel Cartridge :)

@DrunkZombie

Sure you can carry more ammunition. On the other hand you need more ammunition, if you enemy is behind cover. With an AK-47 no Problem. Thats the main problem in irak or afghanistan at the moment. The 5.56 mm NATO has not enough power. So why not put the 6.5 mm grendel Cartridge :)

Extra penetration doesn’t do you any good if you get into a prolonged firefight or multiple ones before you can resupply and you run out of ammo. You go through ammo quick, especially if someone is foolish enough to fire on full auto. Full auto is generally a waste of ammo. It is really only good for suppressive fire.

This really isn’t the forum for discussing military strategy. However I will say that the problems in Afghanistan and Iraq have to do more with fighting against an insurgency and less to do with the penetration of the 5.56mm round. When the military has something to shot at, they do well. If they need the extra penetration sometimes called for in urban combat, they have the M240 medium machine gun, M203 grenade launcher, and AT4 carried with them and the M2HB heavy machine gun and Mk19 automatic grenade launcher mounted on their vehicles. Not to mention other support like snipers with Barrett M82s and heavier things they can call in.

Anyway, back to game talk. Speaking of the ma-deuce (M2HB), it would be cool if the machineguns on the vehicles looked like them. The M2 has been the workhorse heavy machinegun of the US for over 90 years. Its continued use for so long speaks to its great design and it is arguably one of the best heavy machine gun designs ever. In fact I think a large majority of the countries in the world use it now days. Having Mk19s in the game would be cool as well, but I think an automatic grenade launcher would be hard to balance..

Edited by DrunkZombie