Modding UFOs

SoulFilcher

I'm probably doing something wrong, but the game freezes during GC load, always at the same %.

Yeah mine stops at about %10-15.. same, i am not sure what i am doing too..

To be honest, kabill should try this and say us the result, because he is the best one who knows how to add such thing. And give us a little tutorial..

Edited by drages

Just tried the new .exe and maptypes file with both an existing and new game and it seems to be working fine (put maptypes.xml in your XCE mod folder). Haven't tested to see whether it works adding new UFO types in yet as I've not time to sort a map out though.

Just tried the new .exe and maptypes file with both an existing and new game and it seems to be working fine (put maptypes.xml in your XCE mod folder). Haven't tested to see whether it works adding new UFO types in yet as I've not time to sort a map out though.

Can't you just try to add same ufo with another name like scoutmk2 with just same as scout. So it will spawn a normal scout ufo map.. if you didn't try to add new ufo, how did u say it's working? I don't see a reason to use that file other then adding new ufo with GC.

Can u list me what I should do to add a new ufo with map? I only want to add variations of the existed ufos for now.. just like a advanced corvette or strike carrier like..

I'd say my problem lies in the submap for the new UFO, as I haven't worked with submaps before. Can you answer a simple question? Is it possible to use stuff from other folders? As one example, for this new UFO can I just link to things in the light scout folders?

Can't you just try to add same ufo with another name like scoutmk2 with just same as scout. So it will spawn a normal scout ufo map.. if you didn't try to add new ufo, how did u say it's working? I don't see a reason to use that file other then adding new ufo with GC

Have just tried this and it seems to work.

Set up a new UFO submap and copied the contents from another submap. Copied a map and edited the spawn points to match the test copy. And added an entry to airplanes.xml (just to be sure). Using the quickbattle function I was able to load a map which seemed to be precisely as I would have expected it to be. So looks like it's up and running.

Have just tried this and it seems to work.

Set up a new UFO submap and copied the contents from another submap. Copied a map and edited the spawn points to match the test copy. And added an entry to airplanes.xml (just to be sure). Using the quickbattle function I was able to load a map which seemed to be precisely as I would have expected it to be. So looks like it's up and running.

Yeah, I found that what caused the freeze for me was not having maps ready for the new UFO. Apparently the system works, we just need to stop rushing things and add everything properly, which I can't do yet because I never worked with maps or submaps.

EDIT: I just played through my first mission with my new UFO! I'm so happy! It was full of mind-controlled rednecks with shotguns because I copied the crew I used for my hostile charlie, so it was a real blast (pun intended).

Edited by SoulFilcher

I took the time to learn a few things about submaps and spectres, and I managed to get it working almost 100%. Wake up guys! He have a fleet to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6437[/ATTACH]

So it works? That's a brand new UFO? Dude you're golden! Do you think you could work with some of my designs from the other thread?

So it works? That's a brand new UFO? Dude you're golden! Do you think you could work with some of my designs from the other thread?

Yeah, that's a new UFO. I've seen your designs from that thread, but those were for the modular UFO wall idea, right? Well, those are all possible now, but I don't think that's what I'm going for in my mod, even though it would be easier to accomplish.

We can totally work on that idea as a separate mod though. I also thought about making a "classic UFOs mod" with the designs from XCOM.

EDIT: If Ilunak adds the damaged hull variants and we use the modular wall idea we could easily make damaged variants from just barely scratched to almost totally destroyed. It would be very interesting.

Edited by SoulFilcher

If I add what damaged hull variants? I don't see any :).

I don't mean for the standard system with hull images, but submap variations for damage, this way it could be used for the standard system (different hull images and destroyed interior) or the modular wall system later (some walls and interior destroyed). Well, I guess it really depends on how the variants are implemented, so If you want to discuss how they would(could) work. Right now I could use this new UFO functionality to make copies of the current UFOs and give them different damaged submaps, but that is not ideal.

I don't mean for the standard system with hull images, but submap variations for damage, this way it could be used for the standard system (different hull images and destroyed interior) or the modular wall system later (some walls and interior destroyed). Well, I guess it really depends on how the variants are implemented, so If you want to discuss how they would(could) work. Right now I could use this new UFO functionality to make copies of the current UFOs and give them different damaged submaps, but that is not ideal.

1. Soul, please can you make this one ufo as a seperate mod to be a "tutorial" for adding new ufos. So ppl can see "only" things to do adding a new one. I can work on it and start to make my own. Even if you make a little tutorial topic with it, it would save many lives.

2. Maybe you can work on new outer ufo art first, so the map makers here can easily create fast interriors and alternatives to them.

Thanks!

And a lame question...

How do i make ufo walls/roofs invisible to edit inside.. i couldnt find it, and feel stupid for it realy..

Edited by drages

It's actually not that difficult, I think. The only issue of any significance is the fact that the map editor won't be able to display the new UFO types (I assume, unless llunak is planning on updating the map editor too?) so it will be necessary to place new UFOs on maps via .xml edits instead. This could mostly be worked around by adding a UFO of a similar size via the map editor and just replacing it in the .xml file, though.

I agree with Skitso, you can't seriously expect a professional to work for free because you are doing a mod. How is it illegal to require a fee for your professional services? If the customer is unhappy with it don't pay and look for alternatives. There will be people willing to do it for free but you can't count on quality and persistence, nor control this way.

Well, it is pretty darn time consuming to make professional quality art. I think the price is ok...
I agree with Skitso, you can't seriously expect a professional to work for free because you are doing a mod. How is it illegal to require a fee for your professional services? If the customer is unhappy with it don't pay and look for alternatives. There will be people willing to do it for free but you can't count on quality and persistence, nor control this way.

Of course, I was not expecting him to work for free. Its just that we can't afford that for a free mod, that's all.

Edited by SoulFilcher

Of course you can't make original quality at a mod if you dont live with donations from mod making like at skyrim game moders..

But i would love to something as much as fitting to original game.. i just someone who makes something quality or not.. when i choose to buy something, i would choose to give money to quality one.. Some ppl got another standards and i respect them too..

I wish to have money to give to the original artists of this game to make the an unofficial mod/expansion..

Anyway, if mod community is important here. Some modders dont let other to use their stuff so even another modder got a change to improve or something to add it, it loses the opportunity. Nobody can create something good by himself alone.. For this, i like this community doing so..

and i realy dont have any idea how we came to this point :)..