Technology Obsolesence + Garrison questions

How obsolete does technology become over time? It seems to me that small arms, firearms and rockets, shouldn't become too obsolete as in RL a breech loading rifle in 1880 and an M-16 in 1980 make you equally dead. Do you end up with all energy weapons at the end of the game or is it a mixture of energy weapons and conventional arms?

Are there any mods which reduce obsolescence and if so, are they worth using?

What about aircraft? Can Condors be used at the end of the game?

Also, how are garrisons handled? I've been looking at youtube guides and reading forums to try to prepare myself to not get my butt kicked in Xenonauts. I assume garrisons have upkeep costs. Do garrisons get new technology as well?

Just start and play the game at easy.. you will see many answers to your questions. Before you play the game, i can't explain things to you..

But at default game everything goes obsolescence after you find a newer one.. and condors wont save you at mid game..

Edited by drages

• 4 weeks later...
How obsolete does technology become over time? It seems to me that small arms, firearms and rockets, shouldn't become too obsolete as in RL a breech loading rifle in 1880 and an M-16 in 1980 make you equally dead. Do you end up with all energy weapons at the end of the game or is it a mixture of energy weapons and conventional arms?

Each new tier of weapons is strictly superior to the previous tier (they're generally identical, but with higher damage output), so you'll want to have as many of the newest weapons as you can afford the time and funds to produce. By end-game, you'll probably have all mag weapons (the final tier).

What about aircraft? Can Condors be used at the end of the game?

The aircraft progression isn't quite as linear as the hand weapons... but it's close. You'll probably want to phase out Condors well before the end of the game. Foxtrots are still useful until the end for dealing with smaller UFOs, but you'll pretty much require later-game aircraft to take out the larger ones.

Also, how are garrisons handled? I've been looking at youtube guides and reading forums to try to prepare myself to not get my butt kicked in Xenonauts. I assume garrisons have upkeep costs. Do garrisons get new technology as well?

My general advice is to forget garrisons. Don't even think about them. Base assaults don't happen that often to start with and you can pretty much completely eliminate them if you can maintain a decent level of air superiority. Personally, I've had two base assaults reach their targets in over 200 hours of play (that's two games, each of which has had one base assault) - they're so rare that it's cheaper to build backup bases (or rebuild destroyed bases) than it would be to pay the troop salaries to maintain garrisons at satellite bases. I don't bother with base defense gun batteries either - again, I don't feel they're worth the cost.

If you do choose to maintain garrisons, then, yes, you do have to pay the normal troop salaries for them. You have to build all weapons except the starting ballistics and improved explosives (grenades and rocket launcher ammo), so the only way to get new guns for your garrisons is to manufacture extras or to ship the strike team's hand-me-downs to the garrison troops. You'll also probably want to rotate troops between your strike force and the garrisons so that the garrison isn't composed entirely of rookies. (All the micromanagement of sending things to and from garrisons is another reason why I don't bother with them.)