kabill

Xcom 2

Looks like an interesting twist on the formula. I'll be interested to read more about the specifics of the game over the next week or two in the run-up to E3, as I enjoyed their first game a lot.

In any case, it's nice that this time they're announcing their game first rather than just blindsiding us by announcing a high-budget version of what we were already making.

Nice :o Apparently its pc only, has modding support and brings some old features back (body looting and procedural maps, not sure if I missed something)

Also, seems like they are planning to add stealth/infiltration stuff huh? ._. At least since it seems like you are guerrilla force this time around

Anyway, I just find it hilarious that apparently this is sequel to game over state of XCOM 2012 xD

The idea is realy good.. Its like aftermath and i liked that game much.. I will still miss a serious air combat.

Chris, maybe after new game you can return to xenonauts.. I would love to see you and your team create an X-Com game with much more pro and experienced game makers.

There seems to be some similarities, like the concept of having a small squad raid a larger foe's territory. Poor Chris must have been like: "Not again!".

I like the idea and I'm pretty pumped for this. The only thing so far that is keeping my hype level from overloading is the mention of stealth mechanics. That will either be a great addition, or complete BS.

For me, I'm super hyped. Mixing XCOM with stealth has been in the back of my mind for the longest time as a game designer. Now they're doing it. It's like Jake Solomon read my mind.

Lost battle over earth...years later an underground team of soldiers try to recapture the planet...

Isn't that exactly what has been discussed here in the forums over a possible Xenonauts sequel some time ago?

Seems like some of THEM has followed the forums HERE, or...they had the same idea because it is one of the logical next steps.

Hmm...

Whenever this comes, I will not buy it instantly if at all, because every Firaxis game I know is plagued with heavy game stopping bugs when released and they don't react to any complaints (Civ 5 = Multiplayer was fixed only after a year after release, then broken again with an addon, then fixed after another year and broken directly again and nowadays barely working but with heavy lags; XCOM-2012 = Game crashing bug was removed after 10 months with the 3rd patch).

So I will wait and see. I have more high hopes with Goldhawkes "Pathfinders".

Maybe they are human sectoid hybrids? *shrugs*

Like I mentioned here some time ago.

I guess either in that thread or a similar one was the setting of the "Xcom2" proposed (as I mentioned above) from someone...

All the graphics and aliens are cool... concept is cool.. but is this a real X-Com? X-Com was never to hunt down aliens.. I mean it was always a defensive force.. The aliens always attacked first.. Now i can only see a force to terrorize alien order. As you see at trailer, the aliens are at earth with full force already. Think about the techs, you should have them already.. Lasers, plasmas and more already researched.. will aliens bring more tech weapons to stop X-Com this time? They are already tons of aliens including all the air/space superiority so why do they need more advance tech to kill some ppl who try to resist them all?

X-Com forces are special ops. So they are good at little tactical operations. They cant stay against an army and if aliens dont send them any army, it would be lame. They need to have very good story for that. At Aftermath, other alien races numbers are low and they have little base like places so it would make sense.

With a flying huge base which i can say countless ways to detect, destroy it..

As i said the game looks good but it wont be a X-Com we know. The good thing is its for PC and not consoles and would have a good mod support.

To be honest i would love to see an Terror from the deep concept, with better and original like game play...

*shrugs* Apocalypse is XCOM game, UFO: Afterwhaever series are still xcom type games even though in none of them you actually have all of standard xcom clone features, I'd say that this game counts xD

Apocalypse was still a defensive game which you try to save your city from ufos from another dimension... Only the end of it was invading and it was again to destroy the thread rather then taking it whole..

Original X-Com Game Theory:

-Invaders coming with waves.

-Defending starts at air

-Tactical ground combats against enemy base/ufos.

-Enemy is getting more powerfull, but not got a force of overwhelming.

-You research alien material and get better equipment in time to catch the alien tech.

- You destroy alien invaders main base to finish it..

X-Com 2 Game Theory:

-Invaders already invaded. There is nothing about coming to our territory or waves..

-No air fights, nothing to defend...

-Tactical ground combats into captured places.

-Enemies are already finished their jop with their full force, they are here with their best tech.. as i said, would you bring more powerful guns to kill some tiny human rebels?

-You researched alien material already at 1. game. You wont start with ballistic hand guns this time.. you can still alien weaponary/techs from their quarters this time because they are already here with humans..

-They have world and space totally overwhelming this time.. I dont know what to do to stop and erase them from the earth? Biological weapon against them is the only idea i have..

This game can bring the X-Com story to another level, it can be very good.. but it will be totally different game style.. only turn based GC's will be same..

Hmm, dunno about that. Have you played Afterwhatever series? Like I said, they are basically XCOM games even though in none of them you actually defend earth from anything, at least not initially.

Plus Apocalypse still isn't really like original games thematically. I like to joke about it being ghostbusters but with aliens, aliens in apocalypse aren't as much invading as much as they are infiltrating, only by the end when you start treating their homeworld they start being more serious about blowing up buildings

Hmm, dunno about that. Have you played Afterwhatever series? Like I said, they are basically XCOM games even though in none of them you actually defend earth from anything, at least not initially.

Plus Apocalypse still isn't really like original games thematically. I like to joke about it being ghostbusters but with aliens, aliens in apocalypse aren't as much invading as much as they are infiltrating, only by the end when you start treating their homeworld they start being more serious about blowing up buildings

I played every After series, i played every wanna be UFO games i can say.. They are not an original X-Com ofcourse. Apocalypse is different too but at least it had the main checks to be a X-Com game.. Other wanna be games always concentrated on ground combat. Xenonauts is the only game which does not leave the air phase of the game, for that reason it is a real X-Com game after X-Com original..

As i said, X-Com 2 could be an awesome game.. But without geosphere (with ufos and planes in it.. i do not think X-Com 2 will have ufos because ufos are already part of life and they are known flying objects now :)), without ufos, without defending something, without new techs to research/manufacture (did you see the "mobile" base.. it was so little. Yeah big for a mobile base but not enough to be proper X-Com base...) and to be honest with a so advanced timeline there wont be any ORIGINAL X-Com game..

I think they'll have a similar research system, and just tweak numbers for balance. Not researching more advanced tech and building/acquiring it would be such a massive change that it would be shocking if they cut it.

New day, new article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/xcom-2-welcoming-our-new-alien-overlords

Short version is XCOM got stomped and never developed advanced tech in the first game, and was forced into hiding.

So...you're saying that XCOM 2 is just Firaxis AU fanfic about XCOM's bummer ending?

Or that the nations of the world actually WERE being shadow puppeted by filthy, reptilian xenos overlords and that the Council of Funding Nations pretty much had their heads up their arses to not even notice?

Edited by Commissar Pancakes

Umm... Its sequel even if its sequel to game over instead of beating the game. That is rare thing, but it wouldn't be only game to do that. So... I'm kinda baffled by your post

I mean, how can you have AU fanfic to your own game? O-o Thats not how fanfic works!

I do occasionally wonder if Jake Solomon has wiretapped my brain. The stealth mechanics and facility assault ideas sound pretty much identical to what I was initially suggesting for Pathfinders.

(That's probably just because it's a logical progression of their system tho.)

Yes.. however I think the allure of being able to fire the first shot will wear off after a couple of missions where you have to put a hell of a lot of work getting into position for a temporary tactical advantage.

Yes.. however I think the allure of being able to fire the first shot will wear off after a couple of missions where you have to put a hell of a lot of work getting into position for a temporary tactical advantage.

That will probably depend on how hard it is to pull off. I'm guessing it'll be relatively easy to get a minor edge, with more involved options for stronger ones.