Xenonaut MoreChoices Part 1 GC Items

aajs

Hi all,

I have pretty much finished converting over my Choices Mod over to be modular.:D

I am about to play through the whole game so I can finalise balance etc. However this will take a while so though I would post this Mod here early to get feedback etc.

If any body is interested in testing this mod, please go ahead and let me know how you get on.

I am intending to create a part2 and part3 at some point, however I don't think I am going to bother creating any custom armour, I think I will just find a nice existing armour mod and add support to it so that this mods weapons are animated correctly in that mod.

Below are details.

Introduction:

This Mod adds:

⦁ 70+ GC Items with associated Tech trees and research.

⦁ The weapons/items are added via functionality rather than for cosmetics, so each has a gaming reason to be there. (Not just alternate pics with the same underlying values as each weapon is unique)

⦁ New Particle effects etc. where required

⦁ New Items also - Not just standard weapons

⦁ Gui Changes to accommodate longer menu descriptions

⦁ New Sounds

⦁ Weapon Rank System added to make it easier at a glance to identify the effectiveness of a weapon.

⦁ New 3D drag textures for each weapon..(80% so far)

⦁ Tougher Start- Staring weapon ranks lower spec than vanilla ballistics

What is the Concept

This mod adds additional ground combat research choices, you can research as few or many you like as none effect you reaching the end game. They are all balanced so there should be no technology paths that lead to an overwhelming advantage. All new items still rely on good tactics in order to complete the game. The Mod is simply adding more options that sit along side the vanilla ones.

Economy

Nearly all GC items require manufacture and can be sold for profit, however when a new weapon is researched the prototype is added to the stores and a small amount of ammo. The rest can be manufactured as required. Currently playing with the idea that ammunition will be created in minimums of 10 units.

GUI Changes

I have tried to keep them to the minimum however some of the menus needed to be widened to take longer weapon and manufacture descriptions.

CREDITS

Thanks to:

http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/app.php

Installation files

http://www.mediafire.com/download/git0y4f3uenr5yb/ChoicesPart1.zip

This mod requires to be the highest priority but should mix with any other mods that does not make ground combat weapon changes. Trust me, there will not be another mod that adds ground combat weapon functionality that is not already in this mod. So adding other weapons mods will just make a confusing game experience for you.

History:

This is part of an older Mod I wrote a while ago, however I have just pulled the GC part and converted it to be modular that way it will be easier for people to pick and choose what parts they want.

My old thread is here:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11423-Xenonaut-Choices-MOD-Part-1?highlight=xenonaut+choices

attachment.jpg

attachment1.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment1.jpg

attachment.jpg.8ce413c0358d805082bc6465c

attachment1.jpg.93d60147bd092d5754cce4ba

Edited by aajs

I have been testing this mod and playing around, and I must admit manufacturing all the weapons is not as fun as I expected.

Its more realistic but you already have enough to worry about running your bases etc.

I am now going to update this mod so all the ballistic weapons are unlimited and do not require manufacture.

Grenades / explosives and missiles will.

So will advanced ammos like Alenium.

Anything that does require manufacture will happen in batches of 10.

At manufacture, i can give you some advises..

1. Dont use manufacture at default weapons.. its not realistic.. you can get a rifle from your weapon shop even.. so its lame to manufacture a default rifle by a special ops..

2. 10 is much for batches.. it would kill the manufacture soul because you only use it 2-3 times at game.. 30 is a huge number for any grenade-rocket.. use x1 at others..

3. You can use my LUA files at script folder. So there will be more place for weapon names and such..

Edited by drages

What are part 2 and part 3 about?

Hi Reactorcore

As I am pulling bits from an earlier overhaul mod part 2 will be adding my Alien stuff.

This will allow you to recover all Alien weapons to your stores for soldier equipping.

Add new alien weapons that are a bit different.

Allow you to recover downed alien fighter ships repair and convert them to be used by xenonaut fighter pilots.

Probably going to add some different civilian weapons that can be recovered just for fun.

Part 3 will most likely just pulling over additional fighter craft from my original mod. but none of these mod will have dependencies so you can just add what you like.

Does this mod cover all tiers of weapons, from ballistics all the way to mags?

Weapons have ranks or levels so that they can be compared quickly.

There is ballistics that can be improved up to 4 times. (some 5 times)

All the original ballistic weapons are still in but begin as older versions with slightly worse specifications than vanilla.

Lasers weapons are still in but under a category of energy weapons and a few more weapons are added here that use the laser cells, but have different function. Like electro stun weapons that electrocute and stun robotic enemies. (new sounds and particles etc).

Vanilla Plasma weapons still in, however I add a few odd ball weapons to this category.

So they game could actually be completed just using ballistics. This is a mod that still has all the vanilla weapons but adds addition research choices.

Here are a few new types of weapons I included all of which get upgraded in tiers.

Electro stun weapons

Electro Mines

Tranquiliser Guns (Pistols & Rifles)

Alternate shotguns, including double barrel, large bore, shortened, then later repeating & automatic

Grenade launchers

Carbines (short Rifles)

Alternate pistols like - Hi Calibre, Micro Pistols

Sub Machine Guns....(Can be used on handed)

SAW's (somewhere between rifle and lmg)

Flamethrower

New Explosives

And a whole load more

Nearly everything now has a 3D drag texture...Am adding this a bit at a time. Its probably not worth testing my mod out until I get a lot of my items back to unlimited. (Tried manufacturing everything but it makes the game tedious)

"Allow you to recover downed alien fighter ships repair and convert them to be used by xenonaut fighter pilots."

Ha just like in Independence Day :D

I'm really excited to get this mod once its finished, giving more variety and exotic choices is exactly what I'm wanting to see that would make another playthrough truly worth it.

I do agree about the manufacturing issue. I did a playthrough with the Xenophobia mod that made everything seperately manufactured and it indeed was draining as hell to play. The worst part of it was that every manufacture was 1 item per manufacture, so it bloated the time of geoscape gameplay to ridiculous levels.

If the manufacturing would work in batches, so that each time the research unlocks a new advanced weapon, a single manufacturing project would yield 12 units to equip all your soldiers with it, meanwhile ammo was always free, except for explosives and special consumables, that you would get in large bulks of 20 items per manufacture.

Essentially the idea is to still have manufactures, but have them more as one-time-all-encompassing-investements that are pricy and take longer, but once done, allow for much free-er use of them, encouraging more experimenting of their use.

"Allow you to recover downed alien fighter ships repair and convert them to be used by xenonaut fighter pilots."

Ha just like in Independence Day :D

I'm really excited to get this mod once its finished, giving more variety and exotic choices is exactly what I'm wanting to see that would make another playthrough truly worth it.

I do agree about the manufacturing issue. I did a playthrough with the Xenophobia mod that made everything seperately manufactured and it indeed was draining as hell to play. The worst part of it was that every manufacture was 1 item per manufacture, so it bloated the time of geoscape gameplay to ridiculous levels.

If the manufacturing would work in batches, so that each time the research unlocks a new advanced weapon, a single manufacturing project would yield 12 units to equip all your soldiers with it, meanwhile ammo was always free, except for explosives and special consumables, that you would get in large bulks of 20 items per manufacture.

Essentially the idea is to still have manufactures, but have them more as one-time-all-encompassing-investements that are pricy and take longer, but once done, allow for much free-er use of them, encouraging more experimenting of their use.

Hi again reactorcore.

I am just finishing these changes, and hopefully I have got something between what you want and the tips Drages gave me. Basically all my normal ballistic weapons and ammo are infinite and are swapped out with better versions when researched, however explosives, granades and rockets need to be manufactured.

All my special weapons (those firing depleted alenium, alternate energy weapons etc..) Require manufacture but are manufactured in multiples of 10.... I chose ten so when you adjust the amount you want to produce its nice and easy to calculate how many you are going to get.

I am going to post my part one choices back on my link today, feel free to try it out. I am already working on my part 2 mod...(it was a little tricky working out how to get the alien weapons back into the soldiers weapon store without crashing it.

You cant make the alien weapons directly spawn on soldiers equipment screen. This is different then X-Com. You need to make a manufacture to change them to human weapons. For example, make a manufacture "Alien Plasma Pistol Recovery" with a plasma pistol requirement. So player will manufacture it to use at his soldiers. So you need to make a manufacture for every alien weapon. The manufactured weapon should be a different one coded ofcourse but with same stats names/pictures..

You cant make the alien weapons directly spawn on soldiers equipment screen. This is different then X-Com. You need to make a manufacture to change them to human weapons. For example, make a manufacture "Alien Plasma Pistol Recovery" with a plasma pistol requirement. So player will manufacture it to use at his soldiers. So you need to make a manufacture for every alien weapon. The manufactured weapon should be a different one coded ofcourse but with same stats names/pictures..

Thanks Drages,

I have managed it. I have the alien weapons manufacturable so that with a bit of a backstory the engineering guys can piece them together from recovered parts (Pricey but possible) however that allow them to be unlocked when you want and recoverable from the field, however you cannot recover and use the ammo.alienplasmacell because the equipment screen does not understand it, however I have changed that item with your help to be ammo.plasma.alienplasmacell. This is now working. I just have to do this for all weapons and I guess the alien grenades etc.

However, I need to tap you skills one last time Drages, some aliens in the aiprops.xml have two sets of equipment listed against them.

Are they randomly selected and can you adjust the frequencies or is it just luck with equipment is used. I am asking because I wanted to create some rare alien weapons that can be recovered by players but I want them to be seen infrequently.

You can ask me anything anytime.. I see that you are working crazy on your mod.. i checked the artwork at your mod and it should be time consuming..

Do not mess with ammos.. ammos are painful.. the looting is problem, manufacturing is problem, numbers are problem.. so always use infinite ammo for now. I think Ilunak and Kabill will handle this ammo/looting problems soon.. The game dont let you loot new added grenade/ammos at the end of the mission, sometimes. Sometimes it does.. its realy hell of a question, why it happens sometimes and sometimes not..

Your question is not known exactly.. so the answer should be the same frequency, we guess so with kabill.. i planned something like that too.. rare drops would be nice element to add the game a bit RPG atmosphere but sadly you cant do that for now.. But you can simulate it. I mean you can add 20 same equipment to an enemy and give 1 rare one.. so it would be 1/20 chance.. hmm.. i figured it out now lol.. nice idea.. but should be tested. How can u test it? Go for ufocontent and edit a scout crew. Give it same 20 enemy with your special equipment. Start with GC_editor exe. Down a scout and go for it.. Press "V" to win the fight and look to the loot.. if your rare weapon is only 1 or 2 from 20 same enemy then you can make it.. As i said a end game looting got problems. So if you want your "rare" item looted at the end of the game, make it a primary weapon.

I asked CE coders to make a percentage code to enemy equipment (civilian code got this, check missiontypeprops_gc.xml file) and same for ufo crew.. i wish i can give my own percentage to the UFO crew spawn.. a unique enemy spawn change would be nice too..

You can ask me anything anytime.. I see that you are working crazy on your mod.. i checked the artwork at your mod and it should be time consuming..

Do not mess with ammos.. ammos are painful.. the looting is problem, manufacturing is problem, numbers are problem.. so always use infinite ammo for now. I think Ilunak and Kabill will handle this ammo/looting problems soon.. The game dont let you loot new added grenade/ammos at the end of the mission, sometimes. Sometimes it does.. its realy hell of a question, why it happens sometimes and sometimes not..

Your question is not known exactly.. so the answer should be the same frequency, we guess so with kabill.. i planned something like that too.. rare drops would be nice element to add the game a bit RPG atmosphere but sadly you cant do that for now.. But you can simulate it. I mean you can add 20 same equipment to an enemy and give 1 rare one.. so it would be 1/20 chance.. hmm.. i figured it out now lol.. nice idea.. but should be tested. How can u test it? Go for ufocontent and edit a scout crew. Give it same 20 enemy with your special equipment. Start with GC_editor exe. Down a scout and go for it.. Press "V" to win the fight and look to the loot.. if your rare weapon is only 1 or 2 from 20 same enemy then you can make it.. As i said a end game looting got problems. So if you want your "rare" item looted at the end of the game, make it a primary weapon.

I asked CE coders to make a percentage code to enemy equipment (civilian code got this, check missiontypeprops_gc.xml file) and same for ufo crew.. i wish i can give my own percentage to the UFO crew spawn.. a unique enemy spawn change would be nice too..

Wow what a clever idea!

I like your work around, that should sort it for me perfectly, As you say it needs testing but sounds like it will definitely work.

Thanks again.

I've taken the mod for a test and after a couple hours of gameplay I wanted to mention these points:

*I love the special equipment you added such as the scanner that improves reaction and the antigrav device that sacrifices slots for more carrying capacity and requires alien corpses to manufacture. These are an awesome addition and would like to see more.

*The 3D drag texture suprised me and made the mod look really unique. I just feel concerned that makes it harder for you to manage the mod and add new items due to added effort needed to make it happen.

*Like you mentioned, the laser and plasma weapons are still there. I really love the idea of having the whole game revolve around varied ballistics, with some special weapons to complement them, such like the toxin, tranq, electro, flame and crossbows weapons, that act as speciality weapons than upgrades, so I think the laser and plasma weapons could be adapted to that. Since they're energy weapons, I'd like them to follow the idea you used with the antigrav device, so they require a corpse or alien tech salvage to produce, meaning they will be treated as rare speciality weapons. Meanwhile, the way they work can be radically changed to offer exotic new weapons, with laser weapons primarily about setting tiles and aliens on fire over a long distance with high reliability, and plasma more about AoE short-range high damage weapons that cause electrosmoke effect on the tiles it hits.

*I really enjoyed the starter weapons. Beginning the game with only the same guns civilians use is pretty cool and I think they shouldn't be replaced, but have the military grade vanilla xenonaut ballistics be actually manufacturable weapons. In essence, only those starter weapons would ever be free and unlimited.

*Huge props for the "Get a free prototype from research complete" mechanic. I love that since it allows the player to test drive a item/gun before actually investing in it. I think you should only get 1 prototype instead of two, but either way, I think as a result the lab upkeep cost or scientist wage can be increased to explain the "free" stuff you get. Since its possible to manufacture items and sell them for profit, this increase in cost is fine.

*Obviously the mod is still unfinished, but the manufacturing cost, time and requirements need to be rebalanced. I would ask for you to not completely rely on arbitrary numbers like 5 days/10 days/20 days or 500$/5.000$/10.000$ (see the pattern?), but something that would make sense realistically, but also feel fair so that the values are not "artificial", if that makes sense to you?

EDIT:

*Oh, forgot to mention this one: More options for flares and light during dark missions. I think this is the only thing that is missing from the more choices mod.

Edited by Reactorcore

Hi Reactocore,

Thanks so much for play testing my mod, and for all the positive feedback. I will try and put some comments against yours so we can discuss best way forward. I appreciate your help.

Reactorcore;149505]I've taken the mod for a test and after a couple hours of gameplay I wanted to mention these points:

*I love the special equipment you added such as the scanner that improves reaction and the antigrav device that sacrifices slots for more carrying capacity and requires alien corpses to manufacture. These are an awesome addition and would like to see more.

I want to put more items in, however I want the remaining special items to be actually found carried on aliens themselves, Drages shared an idea with me yesterday that we can try to make them rare spawns. If you have any idea for crazy devices then let me know. I wanted a small single use one shot shield that some high ranking aliens carry. I also wanted a weapon to slow down aliens and a gadget for xennauts that gives you a speed boost, however the APDamage I would need to achieve this does not seem to work yet. There is also a moraledamage that is crying out for some crazy application. These extra items I was intending to put in my part two mod along with the recoverable alien weapons and space craft. I may also create an extra ground vehicle here. I also wanted some rare drop human soldier items that could be recovered.

*The 3D drag texture suprised me and made the mod look really unique. I just feel concerned that makes it harder for you to manage the mod and add new items due to added effort needed to make it happen. I agree most of my items have a alternate drag texture now, but I can always finish these later as a minor update. I normally play around with the drag textures when I fancy a break.

*Like you mentioned, the laser and plasma weapons are still there. I really love the idea of having the whole game revolve around varied ballistics, with some special weapons to complement them, such like the toxin, tranq, electro, flame and crossbows weapons, that act as speciality weapons than upgrades, so I think the laser and plasma weapons could be adapted to that.

I wanted to just add extra choices without breaking the feel or balance of the vanilla game as I like the way it plays. Therefore I kind of use the laser and plasma weapons as milestones to easily allow me to balance my added weapons against them. For instance my rank3 ballistics are just slightly less powerful than the laser weapons making the lasers still aspirational, however the rank 3 depleted alenium firing ballistics are cheaper and faster to produce making them a viable option. Hope that sounds reasonable to you.

One thing I need to get your opinion on also is the rank 3 alenium ballistics. They currently have to be manufactured, do you think that's a good idea, or do you thing these should be infinite like the previous rank. I could just make the ammo manufacturable but in large quantities requiring alenium as component.

Since they're energy weapons, I'd like them to follow the idea you used with the antigrav device, so they require a corpse or alien tech salvage to produce, meaning they will be treated as rare speciality weapons. Meanwhile, the way they work can be radically changed to offer exotic new weapons, with laser weapons primarily about setting tiles and aliens on fire over a long distance with high reliability, and plasma more about AoE short-range high damage weapons that cause electrosmoke effect on the tiles it hits.

I think having special requirements for the exotic weapons is a very good idea and not sure, why I have not already done this. I have some elite rank 4 ballistic weapons that are way ahead of the time period (Earth Technology accelerated due to exposure to Alien Tech) however I was trying to balance them by making them only used be very elite soldiers, however balancing them by having them manufacturable only by using rare materials may be a far better idea and let me up the power a little bit without worry about totally breaking the game balance

*I really enjoyed the starter weapons. Beginning the game with only the same guns civilians use is pretty cool and I think they shouldn't be replaced, but have the military grade vanilla xenonaut ballistics be actually manufacturable weapons. In essence, only those starter weapons would ever be free and unlimited.

Yeah the civy weapons at the start was my attempt at making it a little bit more like an rpg. It matches the story because until the invasion the Xenonaut operation was not really taken seriously, hence the tiny starting base and only 2 fighter craft. I did originally have all the rank2 weapons manufacturable, however I have added so many weapons its makes the ballistics sections incredibly full.

Also I like the way the weapons slowly look more and more military as you progress, it kind of gives a nice sense of achievement. Also because of the war I assume there would be a shortage of decent soldiers due to demand hence the crazy offerings you get when trying to recruit new soldiers. (Some could not hit the side of a barn if standing right in front of it) that's why I added a whole load of spread shot weapons, so that you can recruit nearly any soldier regardless of stats and still find a use for them. Hope that sounds okay to you.

*Huge props for the "Get a free prototype from research complete" mechanic. I love that since it allows the player to test drive a item/gun before actually investing in it. I think you should only get 1 prototype instead of two, but either way, I think as a result the lab upkeep cost or scientist wage can be increased to explain the "free" stuff you get. Since its possible to manufacture items and sell them for profit, this increase in cost is fine.

Yeah good thinking here, I will adjust the prototype down to one then, but think there should be a few clips to go with it.

*Obviously the mod is still unfinished, but the manufacturing cost, time and requirements need to be rebalanced. I would ask for you to not completely rely on arbitrary numbers like 5 days/10 days/20 days or 500$/5.000$/10.000$ (see the pattern?), but something that would make sense realistically, but also feel fair so that the values are not "artificial", if that makes sense to you?

Again very good point, if you have some numbers in mind I will put them in. I did want my ballistic items to complete very quickly as they are based on known technology and this needs to be slightly offset as they are ever so slightly underpowered compared to the vanilla equivalents of the same rank. However getting this right is going to be tricky. Yep pricing also seems to be tricky to get right, I want my items to be slightly cheaper than vanilla weapon equivalents so players see them as a good cost option.

EDIT:

*Oh, forgot to mention this one: More options for flares and light during dark missions. I think this is the only thing that is missing from the more choices mod.

Never thought about that, never even messed with the flares, better see what can be done. Nice Idea hope they are easy to implement

I want to put more items in, however I want the remaining special items to be actually found carried on aliens themselves, Drages shared an idea with me yesterday that we can try to make them rare spawns. If you have any idea for crazy devices then let me know. I wanted a small single use one shot shield that some high ranking aliens carry. I also wanted a weapon to slow down aliens and a gadget for xennauts that gives you a speed boost, however the APDamage I would need to achieve this does not seem to work yet. There is also a moraledamage that is crying out for some crazy application. These extra items I was intending to put in my part two mod along with the recoverable alien weapons and space craft. I may also create an extra ground vehicle here. I also wanted some rare drop human soldier items that could be recovered.

For items that are very alien in function and looks, like the antigrav device, the idea of having items directly used by aliens and then looted from to for your own use indeed sounds perfect.

For other things, like the motion scanner, that look and feel more like manmade, the "use-alien-corpses-to-manufacture-these" concept works really well.

About items to suggest... it depends on what is possible with the engine, so I can't just randomly throw ideas if there is no way they are possible to do. Instead, I'd suggest looking at variables and functions are available to mod and make a list of them. Then, look at this list and think of ways to connect them to turn them into a utility item, booster or enhancer of some sort. Otherwise, I'd throw these ideas:

*Flare alternatives (larger radius, longer duration, faster/cheaper to deploy)

*Weight reductors (sacrifice inventory slots, but carry heavier items, smaller low-tech versions of the alien antigrav device)

*Visual range extenders (See farther)

*Anti PSYCHIC devices (Boost morale, reduce psy damage taken, tinfoil hats)

*Ultra-light disposable shield buckler

*Smoke alternatives (smoke guns, less-TU-consuming advanced smoke grenades, heavy smoke charges, super smoke rockets)

*Mega medpacks (takes up lots of inventory space, heavy, but enough to heal the entire team many times over)

*Lighter/Spraygun (small utility item that can inflict fire/smoke/electronsmoke/gas on one tile at point blank range)

*Like you mentioned, the laser and plasma weapons are still there. I really love the idea of having the whole game revolve around varied ballistics, with some special weapons to complement them, such like the toxin, tranq, electro, flame and crossbows weapons, that act as speciality weapons than upgrades, so I think the laser and plasma weapons could be adapted to that.

I wanted to just add extra choices without breaking the feel or balance of the vanilla game as I like the way it plays. Therefore I kind of use the laser and plasma weapons as milestones to easily allow me to balance my added weapons against them. For instance my rank3 ballistics are just slightly less powerful than the laser weapons making the lasers still aspirational, however the rank 3 depleted alenium firing ballistics are cheaper and faster to produce making them a viable option. Hope that sounds reasonable to you.

One thing I need to get your opinion on also is the rank 3 alenium ballistics. They currently have to be manufactured, do you think that's a good idea, or do you thing these should be infinite like the previous rank. I could just make the ammo manufacturable but in large quantities requiring alenium as component.

I have not gotten so far to use them, but if you were to add Alenium (more rare than alien alloys) to produce them or their ammo, they should be pretty powerful to be worth it. I guess alenium infused weapons would replace mags in terms of power, but unlike mag having infinite ammo once you have the guns, this time the ammo needs to manufactured in bulk to have the priviledge to use these poweful guns.

Since they're energy weapons, I'd like them to follow the idea you used with the antigrav device, so they require a corpse or alien tech salvage to produce, meaning they will be treated as rare speciality weapons. Meanwhile, the way they work can be radically changed to offer exotic new weapons, with laser weapons primarily about setting tiles and aliens on fire over a long distance with high reliability, and plasma more about AoE short-range high damage weapons that cause electrosmoke effect on the tiles it hits.

I think having special requirements for the exotic weapons is a very good idea and not sure, why I have not already done this. I have some elite rank 4 ballistic weapons that are way ahead of the time period (Earth Technology accelerated due to exposure to Alien Tech) however I was trying to balance them by making them only used be very elite soldiers, however balancing them by having them manufacturable only by using rare materials may be a far better idea and let me up the power a little bit without worry about totally breaking the game balance

I tend to notice that if a weapon is powerful, I want all my units to carry it and thus make preparations to manufacture them for everyone. This was the case with vanilla gameplay and mags. So if you want the "elite-only weapons" concept to work, the weapons would have to be significantly more powerful than the normal ones and MUCH more expensive to make me treat them as such.

Yeah the civy weapons at the start was my attempt at making it a little bit more like an rpg. It matches the story because until the invasion the Xenonaut operation was not really taken seriously, hence the tiny starting base and only 2 fighter craft. I did originally have all the rank2 weapons manufacturable, however I have added so many weapons its makes the ballistics sections incredibly full.

Also I like the way the weapons slowly look more and more military as you progress, it kind of gives a nice sense of achievement. Also because of the war I assume there would be a shortage of decent soldiers due to demand hence the crazy offerings you get when trying to recruit new soldiers. (Some could not hit the side of a barn if standing right in front of it) that's why I added a whole load of spread shot weapons, so that you can recruit nearly any soldier regardless of stats and still find a use for them. Hope that sounds okay to you.

Lore-wise I agree with you, it indeed makes sense that the basic weapons get upgraded to military-grade arsenal as the organization is taken seriously. Its just the experience I had when I only started with the civilians weapons made me regard vanilla military ballistic weapons as if they were laser-tier-like upgrades in this mod. Either way works, I suppose.

Also you mentioned starter weapons for rookies. With the logic you said, submachine guns and similar multi-projectile spray weapons could also be a good, longer-range variant for them to use. I think there already were some in the mod, but didn't try them yet. I usually play very heavily with shotguns. I love the double barrel ones. :D

Yeah good thinking here, I will adjust the prototype down to one then, but think there should be a few clips to go with it.

Absolutely, the amount of ammo you get with the prototype is excellent. :)

Again very good point, if you have some numbers in mind I will put them in. I did want my ballistic items to complete very quickly as they are based on known technology and this needs to be slightly offset as they are ever so slightly underpowered compared to the vanilla equivalents of the same rank. However getting this right is going to be tricky. Yep pricing also seems to be tricky to get right, I want my items to be slightly cheaper than vanilla weapon equivalents so players see them as a good cost option.

Can't give exact values for each gun, but generally the price would be depending on how much damage the weapon does compared to the weaker version. So you start with the most basic cheapest weapon available and make it a benchmark to estimate a good price for each, more powerful weapon.

As for manufacturing time, it depends on how big or how complex/alien/exotic it is. Use the same cheapest gun as a benchmark for this too. The values don't need to be realistic, but believable and fair. Something that feel like it makes sense when you're looking at the info on the manufacturing screen.

Speaking of manufacturing. If its possible, it would be nice to have more categories to split the manufacturing projects into. In mid-late game, the Soldier Weapons section of manufacturing is veeeery long and hard to find what you want. Would be good to split it up if possible.

Also I was playing some more and noticed these things:

*Some tranq rifles had very slow projectile speed. There is a bug in the game that if a bullet is too slow, the game ignores it and does no damage, so make sure all projectiles are never too slow, otherwise shots that usually hit, just wierdly dissapear.

*Miniguns cause aliens to explode. I get they're powerful, but this is hilariously too much.

*grenades don't explode on impact. Its annoying when you throw one at an enemy, but because they don't explode until the end turn, your soldier can get shot and killed due to this.

*I love the knives in the mod, but I think they may be a little bit too powerful. If they did half the damage, but keep the same low-TU-cost stats, that would be neat.

*Also the vibroknife completely replaces the basic combat knife when researched. This is a problem because the normal knifes were unlimited and free, but the vibroknives are limited and need manufacturing. Keep the basic knives available please.

*Flare alternatives (larger radius, longer duration, faster/cheaper to deploy)

Flares are hardcoded i think. They look like grenade at code but they produce light. So you cant do anything to them as i know.

*Visual range extenders (See farther)

You cant do that.. That stat is special for armours and the only items which gives stats are armours..

*Anti PSYCHIC devices (Boost morale, reduce psy damage taken, tinfoil hats)

Again armours..

With 0.33 CE, random research feature added to game. So you can create unique/rare researches to pop up.. For example, a lame alien plasma rifle can pop up a ultra mega rifle research with a %5 chance..

You can make a special enemy rank (like caesan professor), put it only 1-2 ufo types to a only 1-2 mission types.. Make its number 0-1 so it would be %50 chance to see that alien at that mission/ufo.. give him a rare item with low precentage as we talked about and make a research start with this item with low percentage.. This will be a legendary item.. make it require very specific items to manufacture.. so the player wont able to make and give it to all soldiers..

You try to make this game a RPG/Fallout Tactics style like me.. Its a nice but hard way.. You will figure out more and more in time.. :)

Thanks Reactorcore,

It will take me a little while to process and implement your ideas, but have taken most of it onboard. Will reply back when I have made some decent progress.

It seems the only way to get the balance of the mod right is to fully play test it, which takes time.

To that end I have ended up working on all 3 of my mods at the same time....

Thanks for your usual help and steering Drages, that should save me from spending time researching a lot of dead ends.

I was not really planning on creating an armour mod because it takes so long, (I was just going to add support for somebody else's so my weapons would be correctly animated). However I may create one after I have finished my current 3. I don't have photoshop only gimp so I don't think you can script the changing of the sprite colours....But if I do, go down this path then at least I can add the other requests...

You can use Kabills armour mod.. its a 1 gb file and got 3-4 color versions of the armours.. you dont need to do yourself.. he allows to use it as a kind man but ask anyway to be polite.

And yeah its the most time consuming progress to put new weapons to the armours.. Thx god i got some ppl to help me about it and for new version of my mod.. i am thinking what will i do with so many new weapons... mostly shields killing me..

You can use Kabills armour mod.. its a 1 gb file and got 3-4 color versions of the armours.. you dont need to do yourself.. he allows to use it as a kind man but ask anyway to be polite.

And yeah its the most time consuming progress to put new weapons to the armours.. Thx god i got some ppl to help me about it and for new version of my mod.. i am thinking what will i do with so many new weapons... mostly shields killing me..

Wow Neat, that's is fantastic. Thanks for letting me know.

Absolutely yes!

The Armor Resource Pack and Kabill's Cybenetic Armor mod is invaluable if you want to add armors to the game. Without those it would not be worth the effort. I like how you mentioned this Drages, as I had assumed aajs already knew about it, since its on the first page of completed mods.

Absolutely yes!

The Armor Resource Pack and Kabill's Cybenetic Armor mod is invaluable if you want to add armors to the game. Without those it would not be worth the effort. I like how you mentioned this Drages, as I had assumed aajs already knew about it, since its on the first page of completed mods.

Aajs is like my first weeks.. he is crazy to make its dream game mod.. there is tons of "how to do" and "cant do" facts at the game and so many ppl gave me time to explain them to me.. I exactly know what aajs can need in his journey so i am giving him the answers even he dont know the questions yet :)..

And he got many creative ideas i didnt think of.. i am realy waiting his mod..

Absolutely yes!

Thank for the Tip on the armour.

I have Jackal finished already..

and fully working in GC as well.

Onwards and upwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Been real busy implanting a whole bunch of things Reactocore suggested, getting through it nicely however...

Speaking of manufacturing. If its possible, it would be nice to have more categories to split the manufacturing projects into. In mid-late game, the Soldier Weapons section of manufacturing is veeeery long and hard to find what you want. Would be good to split it up if possible.

This was a nice idea are there any other undocumented categories. I did just try renaming one to see if the existing code could handle it, however it crashes out so badly you cannot even load the game.