Can't start CE

1969jmh

Hi,

since 3 or 4 days i can't start CE anymore. The attached error message occured. When i go back to vanilla the game starts normally. I already deinstalled and installed the game several time but with no effect. Can anybody help please?

Error.jpg

Error.jpg

Error.jpg.762111b4140e5254ed7770eca106a9

Could do with some more details. E.g. Were you using the Steam version of XCE or had you installed it manually from the download on this site? And were you running XCE from its own mod folder or did you replace the vanilla .exe with the XCE one?

I guess the problem ist the xenonaut.exe in the xce-folder. When i start the game with this exe the error occur. When i start the game with the original exe in the main directory it works. I can choose then every mod i want and it starts without error. I now have the xce and the xdivision-mod running.

Yes, they are. I guess the original one is replaced when i choose to use the CE in steam, right? And yes, both aren't working. I copied the Vanilla-Xenonaut-folder from the Steam-folder to another partition, downloaded the 3 CE-zips (xce, settings and balance) from the website and unpacked them in the mods-folder. Then i followed your install-instruction, started the game with the original exe, activated the xce, switched to the xce-folder, started the exe there and activated balance and settings. Then i tried to start the game with the exe in the xce-Folder - error.

Then i tried the vanilla-exe in the main directory, activated the 3 xce-mods (and the xdivision mod) and it started normally. But is the ce-mod working with the original exe or will there be problems during the game? It seems to me the problem is the exe. Has it been changed the last 5 to 7 days? It worked perfectly fine before.

Yes, they are.

You previously said that one of them works and one doesn't, so which is it?

Then i tried the vanilla-exe in the main directory, activated the 3 xce-mods (and the xdivision mod) and it started normally. But is the ce-mod working with the original exe or will there be problems during the game? It seems to me the problem is the exe. Has it been changed the last 5 to 7 days? It worked perfectly fine before.

The exe is the main part of X:CE.

The game cannot create internal files, which should be located at c:/users/username/Application Data/Goldhawk Interactive/Xenonauts or similar.

This ^ is what I meant by saying to check what I wrote above. It is the same path where the logfile is, there should be the internal files.

You previously said that one of them works and one doesn't, so which is it?

The exe is the main part of X:CE

This ^ is what I meant by saying to check what I wrote above. It is the same path where the logfile is, there should be the internal files.

There's only the logfile. No internal files are created there.

Has there been a change in the X:CE executable in the last week? It worked before. Is there a way to get the 'older' exe if there was a change. Just to try whether it's starting then or not.

There was a new release, but I don't think using an older one would point out what is wrong, since the older one didn't use this location. As far as I can tell, your OS refuses to create a directory there, and I don't know how to help you, sorry.

Yesterday I had the same problem with start of x:ce 0.32 HF2. I reinstalled the game from Steam and tried to launch the game using .exe from parent directory - failed. I went to assets/mods/xce and tried to launch the game using .exe in that directory - failed.

So I decided to do the following:

1. I downloaded the previous version 0.31 (including balance and settings).

2. Unpacked the files over existed ones in assets/mods/xce.

3. Launched the "older" .exe file.

4. There was a warning message (attached) BUT! the game started.

And my question is - with the above mentioned "tricks" do I have a normal 0:31 version or it's a "Frankenstein"

warning.jpg

warning.jpg

warning.thumb.jpg.2083bf5775d013d90ffa97

Edited by Vasiler

After a few days crusing through Windows forums i'm pretty sure that it's a problem with the Windows rights management. It occurs with preinstalled OEM Versions, the Windows 8 core. Even when you're registered as admin you don't have the full admin rights. So Windows prohibits X:CE to create the directory where X:CE 0.32. The former version used another location so the error didn't take place. Bad thing is that there seems to be no solution for that problem. I hope i'm wrong and anybody can give me a hint.

After a few days crusing through Windows forums i'm pretty sure that it's a problem with the Windows rights management. It occurs with preinstalled OEM Versions, the Windows 8 core (do you use exactly 8 or it's 8.1 ? )

Not entirely true.Have you turned UAC down to minimum (User Account Controls ) ? It won't disappear completely but it will only have effect if you try to modify system files or when trying to directly alter files of installed software under OS root partition (etc C:\Program Files ).

To avoid this simply set steam storage destination to some other partition ( steam will create Steam Library) and you are done.Alternative is to apply CE manually instead of letting steam do it for you.

Edited by Sentelin

Not entirely true.Have you turned UAC down to minimum (User Account Controls ) ? It won't disappear completely but it will only have effect if you try to modify system files or when trying to directly alter files of installed software under OS root partition (etc C:\Program Files ).

To avoid this simply set steam storage destination to some other partition ( steam will create Steam Library) and you are done.Alternative is to apply CE manually instead of letting steam do it for you.

In my case the game is steam-installed on a different partition (D:\) but the problem with 0.32 still remains.

UAC is not the solution. It's a Windows bug in the 8.1 core version. There seems to be some problems with the admin rights. I tried this and it works: Create a new (second) admin account, start Windows with your normal admin account, swith to the new one, and then start Steam and Xenonauts. With the new admin account the game can create the internal files in the designated path.

UAC is not the solution. It's a Windows bug in the 8.1 core version. There seems to be some problems with the admin rights. I tried this and it works: Create a new (second) admin account, start Windows with your normal admin account, swith to the new one, and then start Steam and Xenonauts. With the new admin account the game can create the internal files in the designated path.

Thanks for the solution.

I'll try this workaround on Win7 and provide a feedback.

UPD: The trick with second admin works on Win7 Ultimate as well.

However I don't understand what is the damn difference between "old" admin (created at Win install) and "new" one?

And why in the world this issue popped up in only in 0.32 release?

Edited by Vasiler

• 2 months later...

I have exactly the same issue with Win 8.1 and Steam and it's very frustrating.

I tried to install CE both with steam "beta version" system, and manually by downloading the mod from the forum.

Creating another admin user account worked for me, but it's really not convenient.

I tried 0.33 RC1 and the issue is still there.

Is it possible to have more detailed debug logs on the issue? I tried changing the rights for "AppData\Roaming\Goldhawk Interactive\Xenonauts", and even copying the right files in it from the other working admin account, but the error is still the same, maybe Xenonauth is not even able to find the right path at all?

Why is this issue not reported more, does CE work without issues for some other people with Win 8.1?

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 8.1 x64, single admin account - same issue.

Xenonauts are installed on different drive than system.

Vanilla xenonauts.exe works without issues, but community edition (manually installed or from steam beta) crashes.

Tried to start the exe file with admin privileges, turn off UAC, antivirus - nothing helps. I will try now to create second admin account, I hope this may help.

UPD: I have cyrillic user name (Сергей) and path to AppData looks like c:\Users\Сергей\AppData - maybe this is the issue.

UPD2: Creating second admin account with latin characters (test) solves the issue.

Edited by sskolot

Windows 8.1 x64, single admin account - same issue.

Xenonauts are installed on different drive than system.

Vanilla xenonauts.exe works without issues, but community edition (manually installed or from steam beta) crashes.

Tried to start the exe file with admin privileges, turn off UAC, antivirus - nothing helps. I will try now to create second admin account, I hope this may help.

UPD: I have cyrillic user name (Сергей) and path to AppData looks like c:\Users\Сергей\AppData - maybe this is the issue.

UPD2: Creating second admin account with latin characters (test) solves the issue.

That's interesting, my user name also have a special character: "Valérian"

I think this might actually be the issue!

Did you try creating a second account with special characters?

Edited by Valerian