Selgald

Over 500 games and still bored

The 40K novel Daemon World is trash, but it's a highly enjoyable piece of trash. It's the literary equivalent of eating tasty junk food. Another good trashy series is Bill, the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison. The series doesn't take itself seriously at all, but there are sly and cunning pokes to the America of the time it was written.

New games:

Running with Rifles, is extremely funny

Cities Skylines (will be released in two days, I really hope it will meet its expectations)

Any of the American McGee's Alice games.

Cthulhu saves the World

World in Conflict

Metal Slug 3

Overlord II

Metro 2033 (original, not Redux)

Eldritch

Insurgency

Call of Halo gears theft auto 4?

In all seriousness, try some total conversion mods for games, for example I am playing one for Mount and Blade (A great game in its own right) where it takes a middle age combat game, and turns it into a star wars galactic conquest sim.

Or try bethesda games with mods, they're wonderful, >:D

Call of Halo gears theft auto 4?

In all seriousness, try some total conversion mods for games, for example I am playing one for Mount and Blade (A great game in its own right) where it takes a middle age combat game, and turns it into a star wars galactic conquest sim.

Or try bethesda games with mods, they're wonderful, >:D

This

Wow, good to see so many book fans popping up :)

The suggestions by others have beaten me to a lot of my intended suggestions:

(+1) -Terry Pratchett. He is a very funny writer, but what makes his books stand out is that he writes on many levels at once, and is one of the keenest observers of human nature I've ever read. Plus, the Luggage :). Over 30 books by now, but if I'm honest his later books are better than than his first few. They are still good,m but his word-smith skills have risen over the years.

(+1) -Robin Hobb: Start with Assassin's Apprentice, first in the Farseer Trilogy. She has written 15 books so far (three trilogies, one quadrilogy, and a new trilogy in progress) that cross the world she's created. It's interesting to see the world changing and evolving in response to the actions of characters from various stories, and the characters themselves moving through life over the years.

(+1) -Elizabeth Moon: The Deed of Paksennarion, start with Sheepfarmer's Daughter. High fantasy with some interesting twists, and one of the most believable (& saddening) trials of a would-be Paladin hero I've ever read. It wasn't strength of arms, & the courage asked of the hero wasn't of bellowing and hitting things with a sword variety. 10 books across three series.

-Honour Harrington series, by David Weber. Sci-fi naval action, well done. And takes notice of physics, to a degree. Think Hornblower in space.

(+1)- Stephen Erikson: Malazan book of the fallen. A very detailed and creative world-builder. He trained as an archeologist, and it shows in his writing. He makes massive, complicated worlds full of mysteries and layers of history that are not always fully explained, or even understood by the characters. Just like real life - be warned, though, he writes doorstops.

There's also a German author's series: The Dwarves (Die Zwerge), by MArcus Heitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dwarves_%28novel%29

I've read an English translation (I don't speak German, unfortunately), which was not bad, but always felt as though it had lost something. The book jacket was smothered in praises for the German original though, so it may be worth a look?

What types of books do you normally like to read? We've been pushing fantasy and Sci-Fi, as per the examples you listed, but who knows? You may be a historian or biographer at heart! :P

Edited by Dix

I also read books about human anatomy, medicine and physics. So I think you cant make any recommendations to that ^^

Also I read funny books sometimes, yesterday I bought What If? from XKCD, its funny.

I also read books about human anatomy, medicine and physics. So I think you cant make any recommendations to that ^^

Hmm - Twilight? :P

Also, some more types of games you might like, try the RTS genre, there's tons of replay-ability, plus they're pretty challenging, especially if the mission requires you to be stealthy.

You try being stealthy with a tank, a squad of rifle-men, and a 18 foot tall mech.

Already played most of the RTS games I know ^^

I also like 4x games, but still there is no game that can beat Master of Orion 2 :)

Hmmmm I really should try to use a Dos emulator on my Android tablet with MoO2

Already played most of the RTS games I know ^^

I also like 4x games, but still there is no game that can beat Master of Orion 2 :)

Hmmmm I really should try to use a Dos emulator on my Android tablet with MoO2

I am sure you are already aware but just in case it's passed you by for some reason.... you can get MoO2 and many of the amazing classic strategy and RPG games for a very low price on GOG.com. No need for an emulator etc it will work on any PC and most Macs & Linux too I think.

http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_orion_1_2

I know gog great site :)

But I bought Master of Orion 1 and 2 many many years ago xD

The emulation is for my Android device, because there is no port of those games to android.

With aDosBox MoO2 runs on Android, but sadly without sound (was not able to get it working... yet...)

I know gog great site :)

But I bought Master of Orion 1 and 2 many many years ago xD

The emulation is for my Android device, because there is no port of those games to android.

With aDosBox MoO2 runs on Android, but sadly without sound (was not able to get it working... yet...)

:) It's such a great website isn't it.

OK, another idea.

Have you tried any Play By Email (used to be know as Play by Mail) games? I find getting my turn results sent to my email acount adds a bit of fun to the day and these games really tax your brain like older strategy computer games used to.

I actually still play a very old but really fun fantasy RPG game called 'Monster Island' (a bit like some of the modern survival games too I guess) where you explore a massive island and uncover it's secrets and battle creatures and other monsters and explore dark places etc. You start the game by arriving on a raft from the mainland with nothing but a bit of driftwood. You can even fart, learn to ride other creatures, learn voodoo, 'love dance' with other monsters and create baby monsters, become a disciple and cast spells etc.

It's one of the best written and most imaginative worlds I've ever come across despite the initial game being programmed as far back as the early 1990s. It was still being updated and added to until around 2007 and it still has quite a few players although a lot less than at its peak. Give it a try and stay open minded and you'll enjoy it once you get going!

You choose between various monster races - ie a furrcat, a viper etc and you arrive shipwrecked and then have to discover and make weapons and armour and can join religions and other monsters in groups etc. It's a slow start but really fun once you get used to the slightly archaic order formats etc.

You can try it for free here and then it's 50p per turn.

http://www.kjcgames.com/mi/mi.htm

And this is the best website about the game:

http://monster.edwebb.net/BadNews.html

There is also an absolutely fantastic and detailed hand moderated PBM/PBEM game about 18th century politics, conquest and exploration called 'The Glory of Kings'. A new game (10) is due to start in the next couple months actually, although you can join existing games at any time.

You can play a major European leader or even a pirate king etc and the players role play it magnificently. It is rather expensive though because it is so detailed and all done by hand. And you need a little bit of knowledge about the historical period to do well. Personally I enjoy playing it (badly) and learning a bit of history as I go.

http://agema.org.uk/about.html

Edited by Mustang Shooting Stars
spelling

How's it compare to GalCiv II?

epsionage is more complex, most things are the same but more polished. If you liked GalCiv2 you will like GalCiv3.

But its still early access and not finished yet.

I know E-Mail games, but I am impatient, so those kind of games would drive me insane :)

I am trying to find a tabletop or D&D group, but its not easy to find one :(

@Xardoz the games I play and the genre of the games changes over time, because I play a lot.

If you want add me on Steam ... :)

Long time since last time I had enough time to pass here, I see a lot of people answered you :)

Thanks for the steam proposal, but I'm a "full DRM-Free" gamer, and so am mainly on GOG :D (with some Humble games too, of course), and absolutely not on Steam, but it's kind, thanks for the proposal :)

Books ! :D

I advice you strongly to read some Jack Vance (great and in general clever Space Opera), the "Tschai" cycle composed with 4 novels is very good (first book is "City of the Chasch").

Hope Cities Skylines is good, and that you're a little less bored since last time :)

Have you tried "Door Kickers" ? It's really good, and there is chance you could like it.