Kabill's Community Code Thread

kabill

10. maybe think about more flexible formulas for wave spawn/soldier stats growth. Basic idea is to let soldier stats grow faster early on, and have more freedom in setting wave numbers early/mid/lategame (currently tehy are tangled in a single formula)

12. clear notification on monthly funding boost on a GC report screen or after a ufo was shot down

16. somehow make it possible for a ticker value to affect AM chance, while atm they are constant for the whole game

I like these. Number 12 could be a simple "Continent X rerelations improved as UFO-XX was shot down in it's air space" line in the geoscape's notification screen.

Also one more: saving alien base state if it's aborted would be a nice to have feature. As it is now, the base map and alien race is randomized each time the player re-enters the base. Base missions can be aborted and restarted at will to get the wanted race/map layout which I feel is an easy exploit.

Edited by Skitso

Maybe. It's not something I find problematic personally so while I'll add it to the list I don't anticipate it being a high-priority thing.

Point number 2 is definitely worth doing; I suspect this is an oversight rather than an intended feature. Point number 3 - are you sure? Having looked at the suppression code I think it should work on the same bases as any area-effect thing. Point number 1 - could probably be added as a toggle option.

3. atm selling the Condor does not give cash - strange "feature", do we really need it?

I think this was done deliberately to avoid a maintenance-avoidance exploit.

4. alienWavePeriodMultiplier does not work? I played with numbers but don't see any shortening of the period between waves over time. Not sure if it can be of any use though

I'll look at this.

5. config option: let unarmed planes to take off the base. Not my priority but might be useful...

If possible I'd like to extend this to allowing aircraft that aren't fully rearmed to take off since they can't at the moment.

6. split/join aircraft squads on-the-fly, but this might be hard

Probably something beyond my skill. I might look at it, but I wouldn't get hopes up.

7. GC - ammo is not shown on the ground

Heh, this is true. Probably a lot of effort for little payoff though so I don't think I'll put it on the list.

8.[effort/B] a plane should not detect an alien base, maybe a config option

Could probably add this as a toggle without too much difficulty.

9. maybe cap the time a research ufo sticks around (configurable)

Not sure if this isn't a bug, to be honest. I suspect the problem might be that when landed the mission ticker doesn't tick, so it only counts when it's in the air for the length of time the UFO has been in play. So I'll have a look at it, even if it's adjustable via a toggle.

10. maybe think about more flexible formulas for wave spawn/soldier stats growth. Basic idea is to let soldier stats grow faster early on, and have more freedom in setting wave numbers early/mid/lategame (currently tehy are tangled in a single formula)

Might be able to do something with stat growth. UFO counts would be easy to change but I'd need to think about how to actually make it accessible via modding. In any case, there's some broader things I want to do with alien missions that this could maybe get tied into.

11. make fixed width fonts work for weapon tooltips

Don't know if this is possible but I'll add it to the list.

12. clear notification on monthly funding boost on a GC report screen or after a ufo was shot down

Might be able to do something with this.

13. bug, not sure maybe I reported it: a successful supply run does not affect alien base size

Yeah, I'd like to fix that. Also, turns out there's a cap on the number of alien bases that can be in play at the same time that I want to externalise.

14. make civs turn before the aliens in GC (maybe config option)

I probably don't want to touch this - too much risk of breaking things I think.

15. auto-airstrike after GC mission withdraw. I don't understand why the crash site just insta-vanishes.

Not sure I like it, but I suspect it would be easy to implement as an option.

16. somehow make it possible for a ticker value to affect AM chance, while atm they are constant for the whole game

SECRET PROJECT.

Also one more: saving alien base state if it's aborted would be a nice to have feature. As it is now, the base map and alien race is randomized each time the player re-enters the base. Base missions can be aborted and restarted at will to get the wanted race/map layout which I feel is an easy exploit.

Need to have a proper look at this but I suspect it would be fairly simple to do.

4. alienWavePeriodMultiplier does not work? I played with numbers but don't see any shortening of the period between waves over time. Not sure if it can be of any use though

Got this. It was adding rather than subtracting from the time between waves.

kabill there is tons of things/ideas spoken and you mentioned most of them "should be no problem".. its very nice to hear..

Do u have a plan for your first version? How many of them will u implement? sorry for my impatience :)

Honestly don't have a plan. I'm just picking up stuff as and when I feel up to tackling it. I wanted to do some more complex stuff this evening but my brain has decided otherwise, so I'm just doing some little fixes instead.

If it's useful to know, though, all the stuff in the "work done" list is stuff that I've implemented and anything with a star (*) next to it has been pushed as an update to the master xce build which means that it should - unless llunak happens to look at it and notices an obvious issue - be in the next build. When the release goes out, I'll move all that stuff off the list and start a new list with stuff being prepared for 0.33, and so on. So you'll be able to track what I'm working on and what I've done.

I see..

I want to add something, and if you look this earlier if easy, i would be happy:

- Airplane armour: Max said its buggy. Can u detect the problem? He said it doesnt work always but its just a simple "decrease damage" formula.

- Air weapons which targets missile: How is it working? It sometimes fire, sometimes not.. can u look to the code and explain it please..

I try to be creative at air combat but these 2 thing stop me to go further.. thx!!!

One more thing:

- Superheavy weapons one shot trigger: I want to use that super heavy weapons as super heavy weapons but i dont want it automatically result.. I want it a super torpedo like other weapons.. if you can make a yes-no question there..

Edited by drages

- Airplane armour: Max said its buggy. Can u detect the problem? He said it doesnt work always but its just a simple "decrease damage" formula.

- Air weapons which targets missile: How is it working? It sometimes fire, sometimes not.. can u look to the code and explain it please..

I'll add armour to the list. For anti-missile defences, so far as I can tell this is working fine (played around with this a few weeks ago). I think possibly with player aircraft you might need to be targeting the UFO which fires the missile though.

EDIT: Regarding superheavy weapons - possibly. Depends on how difficult it is to separate out.

One little and simple request: the number of alenium and alloys you have should be shown in the workshop screen next to the required amount.

Good idea. I'll see if I can add the number of requires resources in parentheses such that mods that add in new manufacturing resources can benefit as well.

- Normal and Stun Damage : You need to make stun damage to stun an alien full health even the alien already harmed bu normal weapons. I mean if an alien got 100 hp and u shoot it to to 1 hp, u still need to give 100 stun dmg to stun him..

I misread you at first and though you'd meant that they should be separate (as opposed to you saying they are separate and would like them to be otherwise).

I've just implemented a variable that allows you to set the proportion of regular damage which also counts as stun damage. For example, setting it as 0.5 will mean that half of all regular damage counts as stun damage as well, while setting it as 1.0 means that regular damage also causes an equal amount of stun damage. This stun damage does not display as such on a hit (i.e there's no blue number showing the stun damage caused). I can change this, but I personally find that having separate stun and regular damage values on every hit is messy (especially with burst/pellet fire) so decided to leave it off.

I misread you at first and though you'd meant that they should be separate (as opposed to you saying they are separate and would like them to be otherwise).

I've just implemented a variable that allows you to set the proportion of regular damage which also counts as stun damage. For example, setting it as 0.5 will mean that half of all regular damage counts as stun damage as well, while setting it as 1.0 means that regular damage also causes an equal amount of stun damage. This stun damage does not display as such on a hit (i.e there's no blue number showing the stun damage caused). I can change this, but I personally find that having separate stun and regular damage values on every hit is messy (especially with burst/pellet fire) so decided to leave it off.

Yeah, dont make it blue.. i thing this will handle things!! thx! variable method will be ore useful!

And a question.. does EMP or stun damage, lower resistance? And APdamage is related with resistance or not?

Edited by drages

EDIT: Regarding superheavy weapons - possibly. Depends on how difficult it is to separate out.

Just to make this part clear, drages doesn't actually want superheavy weapons (because the game clearly defines them as providing autoresolved win). He just wants more than 2 levels of normal missiles.

... this thing is my N1 pain in the ass and is probably easy to fix:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12676-Psionic-attacks-every-turn-upon-save-load

aliens use psionic powers the same turn after game reload, regardless of were they psi-attacking the previous turn or not

Psionics is worth looking at, but it might actually be the case that the AI should be using attacks every turn (and therefore it's tyhe default behaviour that's bugged).

Just to make this part clear, drages doesn't actually want superheavy weapons (because the game clearly defines them as providing autoresolved win). He just wants more than 2 levels of normal missiles.

Yes, this is fair. (Still a bit stuck in "what can I do with what's there" as opposed to "hey I can make new things").

Hello.

I'd like to ask You for one, important for me feature. Limits on ranks. So we don't end up with army of commanders after a short period.

Might be possible to add in a moddable rank structure of some kind so you can set limits/prerequisites on the number of soldiers at any given rank (possibly like the OG, so you need X soldiers at one rank to have a soldier at the next rank). I'll add it to the list.

Also, I've just (re)implemented the old manufacturing categories which had been removed (which is an extra three categories) and made some minor UI tweaks to make this work ok with the manufacturing screen. I can add more, but since these three were already in place I figured it would be best just to use those and 9 manufacturing categories should be sufficient, I think.

EDIT: Also also, the manufacturing screen shows the resources you have in store as well as the resources needed to manufacture an item.

Edited by kabill

Also, I've just (re)implemented the old manufacturing categories which had been removed (which is an extra three categories) and made some minor UI tweaks to make this work ok with the manufacturing screen. I can add more, but since these three were already in place I figured it would be best just to use those and 9 manufacturing categories should be sufficient, I think.

EDIT: Also also, the manufacturing screen shows the resources you have in store as well as the resources needed to manufacture an item.

Are these already in the 0.32?