Xenonauts V1.56 / V1.57 Stable Released!

We're releasing two "Stable" builds today. V1.56 is an update that will immediately be released on the Steam default stable branch, whilst V1.57 is only available on the Steam Experimental branch. Our plans for releasing this on other platforms are explained after the changelogs:

V1.56 Changelog:

• Fixed an issue with the mod manager deleting the entire mod directory when you tried to delete a mod
  • Fixed an issue where the mod manager did not correctly save the priority order for deactive mods

V1.57 Changelog:

• We've created an experimental patch for the shooting code that should verify miss shots are actually able to hit the tile they scatter to. We hope this will correct the issue where shots are sometimes noclipping through walls or otherwise behaving incorrectly.

If the fix in V1.57 does its job, that will be the last update we make to Xenonauts. The problem is that the shooting code was pretty complex even before we spliced some of the Community Coder additions into it when we made V1.5, so we're really not sure if it will fully address the issue (or if it may cause any additional problems).

V1.57 is therefore only available on the Steam Experiment branch - the old Experimental branch stopped working for some reason, so we've deleted it and created a new "Experiment" branch to do the same thing. We'll give this at least a week to see if it causes any major issues and if it fixed the issue as intended.

Regarding the Mac / Linux builds and updates to the non-Steam distributors - this is a lengthy process (it literally takes me most of the day) so I'm going to wait until Monday to see if there are any issues with V1.56 before I roll it out, as if there's a bug in it I'll have wasted all that time and the distributors will be annoyed at me. And if V1.57 proves stable a week after that, I'll do it all again one final time.

You're right to not hurry for the updates (and for taking time before providing them to non-Steam distributors). I'm on GOG and yes, we have to wait more and it's sometime frustrating but... well, the wait won't be THAT long, and the updates will come :) And we will have a better game ! And for me, the wait is worth it : the game is great, and deserves all this quality updates/bugfixes !

Again, thanks a lot for your work, the polishing and for not hurry !

Aside note : we still don't have the 1.55 update on GOG, is this normal ?

Okay ! (and thanks for the answer :))

I hope you won't encounter new "bad surprise" and that everything will run fine ;) (even if there is always some bug hidding somewhere like an extraterrestrial lurking in the dark before attacking you) (but now you already took care of so many of them xD You deserve some tranquility ^^ I hope they'll let you rest finally !)

• 2 weeks later...

Running 1.57 stable. Game locks up during carrier missions when trying to fire with Ctrl+left-click on any environment or enemy target.

(Update) The game locks up every time on every map, regardless of what you target with Ctrl+left-click. Tried verifying files through Steam, no help. Tried rebooting computer, no help. Tried reinstalling game and starting a fresh game, no help. Locks up every time. Have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete, run task manager, and end application. Unable to take a screen-shot due to game locking up.

(Update) The game locks up when targeting aliens on Battleship missions. Did not use Ctrl+left-click. I targeted an alien, left-clicked, then the game locked up. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Task Manager to close the game. (Note: This is a fresh game. Not an old saved game. Problem seems to happen more frequently the further into the game I get.)

Edited by Blighte

Blighte - I'd try the compatibility version of the game on the Steam branch of the same name. I suspect it's linked to the size of the maps and the amount of tiles in it, which can cause issues in conjunction with the tile atlases in the game.