Found an exploit

Raywalker

Hi,

Not sure if this has been said before or if this is a vanilla bug.

I have discovered an exploit where if a shot is aimed just behind the alien or has the alien in

path of the shot, the xenonaut/tank will NEVER miss the alien.

Only time this is not the case is if a UFO door is in front of an E.T then it hits the door instead.

My only guess is it is a game engine limitation and a funny exploit to counter alien exploits :rolleyes::P

Don't know where to put this, it can be moved to the correct forum as necessary. :)

I actually found this out targeting an alien behind a wall in a terror mission with a hunter and every shot after destroy the wall hit.

And from there started to test the theory and every attempt with alien being the "obstacle" resulted in perfect accuracy.. Like aliens were projectile magnets.

I am using RC v0.32 RC 2.

And the way I can reproduce it is to press the Ctrl key and hover over the alien just behind to produce a 100% block chance caused by alien, this then seems to ignore all light terrain variables (like chain fence) and shoots 100% at the "blocking" alien.

Here is a link to a zip where I acquire target and hopefully one can see all 10 bullets hit its mark.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbx8ebeulks3a46/Testcase.rar?dl=0

I can try vanilla and see if this works like that as well and send pics if it does.

This should do: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeiybobq9yc0hl9/Shoot%20Test.sav?dl=0

There's two soldiers, one on the corner of a bus, the other nearby (I've set it to have 1000 TUs in the GC editor for testing purposes). The soldier by the corner of the bus cannot be targeted by the other soldier as the bus is blocking the shot. When you shoot anyway, however, every single bullet heads in a perfect trajectory towards the target. The bus blocks the shot as it should but the bullets themselves never scatter. In contrast, if you target the bus itself bullets will scatter as expected.

I confess to having exploited this bug (?). It's useful when I want to target a specific tile with a rocket launcher.

Question is - Do the aliens do the same? :D

Edit: Sorry - I am playing the vanilla version 1.55, but it has similar behavior.

Edited by Oldsmobile