drages

[v1.09/X:CE v0.31] X - DIVISION - Destiny Denied v0.98+

Hi Drages,

Welcome back, we have been missing you.:)

Did not see you post for a while and thought you had given up.

Nice that you are back again

Thx aajs.. it's not like given up.. it's just the mod becomes so bigger then i can handle.. the funny part is most of it finished. The problem is to put them into the game. Noone wants to have 1000 manufacture without ability to sort them.. The problems about replacing items without destroying them is a big question in my mind too.. so i am waiting 0.35 and i can continue with the hype of it i hope.

What do you mean "no ability to sort"? You can create as many manufacturing categories as you want in xenonauts, right? I feel confused and don't fully understand the problem. :confused:

Hi! Confused newbie here!

Amazing mod, Drages! My veteran team just got absolutely smashed in my first base run(wild reaper crept up on me in the middle of a firefight.. you know). Thats not my question, however! The question is: Is there some sort of a tech tree I can look at? It seems I hit some research bedrock.. I have landing ship, and base(went better on second attempt, lots of rookies got promoted) datacores, but they kinda just sitting in my storeroom.. I cant disassemble the lander, and base research didnt popped up..

Hi again! I decided to learn how to read, and dissected some xmls. Capture an engineer. Its the guy in the green suite, or reddish sebbilan. Got it. Have a nice day!

What do you mean "no ability to sort"? You can create as many manufacturing categories as you want in xenonauts, right? I feel confused and don't fully understand the problem. :confused:

No sadly you can't.. it's hardcoded and you can rename the old ones only. At XCE, you can have only 4 extra categories to rename and use but even 4 is not enough to have all new things..

Morhem you can see all the techs at researches.xml file in mod directory.

What!? Only 8 categories possible? I had no idea that was the case. :eek:

Man, that means even if you try equally divide 1000 things into these 8 categories equally... each one would hold 125 items.

Yeah, I can see how annoying it would be try scrolling the manufacturing list during mid- and late-game, especially because how small the window is.

Thank you for clarifying that, I now understand how you feel. : S

What!? Only 8 categories possible? I had no idea that was the case. :eek:

Man, that means even if you try equally divide 1000 things into these 8 categories equally... each one would hold 125 items.

Yeah, I can see how annoying it would be try scrolling the manufacturing list during mid- and late-game, especially because how small the window is.

Thank you for clarifying that, I now understand how you feel. : S

So you see the problem.. 0.99 got 3 version of every weapon and it's only enough to get that huge numbers alone. Worst thing is there is no option for sorting.. so you can't put the newest manufactures above. If you miss the new manufactures name, there is now way to find it at that tons of old manufactures. The only option here is a way to erase the old manufactures and Ilunak said he will add it to next version.. so waiting for it..

For a mod at Xdivision size, i need some more moders who can handle the air and building parts at least, annnnddd a dedicated XCE coder.. and someone for xpedia.. for one man it's a ridiculous work...

Without an XCE coder, i lose many aspects to mod. I put many vehicles and mechs for example but with only 1 weapon option, it's not make sense. I can't put grenade type weapons to vehicles too.. i got many walls like that and those are lowering my hype..

I would like to see Xenonauts 2 as a remake of this make with no bugs, good AI and modable content at every aspect without any hardcode.. Maybe i mod X-Com 2 if it can give me options what i dreamed for this game.

Edited by drages

So you see the problem.. 0.99 got 3 version of every weapon and it's only enough to get that huge numbers alone. Worst thing is there is no option for sorting.. so you can't put the newest manufactures above. If you miss the new manufactures name, there is now way to find it at that tons of old manufactures. The only option here is a way to erase the old manufactures and Ilunak said he will add it to next version.. so waiting for it..

Yeah, I think its wise to wait as long as it has been made clear to the X:CE devs what you need.

If that fails, you can try adding sorting directly to the names of items, like Aajs did in XMC. He added a short designation that makes it clear at a glance what level of item it is (RNK1 - Rank 1, RNK2 - Rank 2, ASLT - Assault Ship and so on). Something similar may be useful to put prefixes in weapon/armor/vehicle/aircraft names to achieve a crude way of sorting in the item list. Not perfect solution, but might help.

XCOM 2 seems very excited though, I'm really excited for that game, but probably won't have a PC strong enough to run it (old gfx card nooo : C), but the modding options sound amazing there. I would definitely play any mods you make as soon I get an upgrade eventually. :D

Hi there, I have an issue with vehicle weapons : I can't mount them, no matter which one I built they never appear on the drop down menu in the garage so I 'm stuck with the basic weapon. I use CE and did the incendiary grenade fix.

Any idea ?

mod is awesome btw

Edited by DM61

Hi

I just installed this mod and I've immediately noticed that the splash screen background is cut off on my monitor with 1680x1050 resolution. Does the mod have any other issues with handling sub 1920x1080 resolutions? If it's only that starting image (or other backgrounds) I don't have a problem with it but I'd like to avoid any menus getting cut off.

Hi drages and hi everyone! I'm a 3D modeler/sculpter/texturer.

If you need some kind of help, I would be glad to help this project.

Hi drages and hi everyone! I'm a 3D modeler/sculpter/texturer.

If you need some kind of help, I would be glad to help this project.

Hey!.. Thank you for your kind offering. For now i stopped modding until some new modding features coming up to hype me again. 3D is needed at creating for new UFO's but all the 3D guys came here and wanted to help disappeared after some days/weeks. So i gave up about asking something about this.

Maybe another modders need help too..

I only came across this game recently and this mod compilation. I somehow missed the release of Xenonauts last year and don't have a good enough PC for X-com 2.

Have to say hats off to everyone working on this mod. It's like the long war mod for X-com: Enemy Unknown. I'm only about 4 hours in so far, but it's just superb.

Hi,

first of all thanks for the great work. From what I read on this mod it sounds amazing!

Unforunately just after a fresh installation I meet a game crash right from the start.

Details:

xeno-mod-list.PNG

* I installed

** the steam community version 0.34.1

** and the latest version of X-Division Ver.0.98.2.7

* I configured all mods and priorities as instructed (see screenshot, position 27 not visible but correct)

* I modified the weapon.grenade.incendiary attribute in weapons_gc.xml inside the mod directory

What happens is that right after starting the game (normal difficulty) the game crashes if I open the Equippment tab (or press F7) - other tabs work fine.

Any help would be appreciated because I am dying to start playing this game mod ;)

xeno-mod-list.PNG

xeno-mod-list.PNG.b222d9ce4201f4ed64d355

So... Question..

I installed the game via steam updated to the community pack.

Inserted the files of the mod and set the order of the mods correctly.

The start of the game first like 3 missions I got my ass kicked.

Then I started to notice the AI was not shooting me lol And then I noticed they have no guns.

Apparently I forgot to change the Insert to replace..

Is that the reason why the enemies have no guns?

I just don't want to restart the campaign and have this happen again...

I'm just starting a game for the first time with X-Division, only did 2 missions yet, but I already love it! This is exactly the game I wanted! The very first missions are much more interesting with more soldiers and weaker weapons, plus the improved alien AI, it adds a lot of tactical depth, and I really like the variety of weapons and technologies to research.

When this mod will be completely finished and balanced, it would really deserve to get some kind of official status (like CE, and available ins Steam), this is really the remake of X-Com I wished for since a very long time.

So far, the current version makes a really good first impression. However it would be nice to focus a bit on finishing to write the early game Xenopedia entries ;)

Thanks to all of the people contributing to this mod, this is a great project that really deserves to reach completion.

PS: Drages you should really fix all of those then/than typos (sorry for being the grammar nazi)

Edited by Valerian

I would like to contribute to the project by fixing some typos, rewriting a few sentences that didn't feel right, and also maybe trying to write a few xenopedia pages.

How can I do that efficiently? Is there a git repository somewhere on which I could send pull-requests?

Ok, after playing it for a few hours I'm starting to see the flaws and balance issues, I might have been a bit too enthusiastic at first :P

I will list a few constructive criticism and remarks regarding that experience.

This is only my first playthrough (normal on ironman) and I have only just reached laser and B-17, so my opinion is obviously not based on a comprehensive experience.

Please excuse me in advance if my comments seem harsh, I like to say what I think without taking detours. However remember that I respect all the work that went into this mod, and I really like the ideas behind it as well as the direction it's taking, but there are still many things to do regarding the execution.

I'm a modder myself for other games (mostly for KSP) and I know how hard it is to get all of that hard work to be appreciated, and to get enough feedback.

Like I said earlier, I'm willing to help.

Sorry if I repeat things that were already said or are already planned/done in 0.99, here are my remarks, in no particular order:

• The number of things to research is growing really fast and can get overwhelming, but this could be improved by one or several of those suggestions:
    • Provide a full tech tree (however some players might not want to see it in order to not get spoiled).
    • Provide some hints about which research subjects really matters, and/or give more hints about what they could lead to.
    • Have some kind of automatic suggestions of what to research next (kind of like in 4x games such as Civilization).

[*] It is extremely hard to track which aliens had already been captured alive, I often end up damaging/killing a few of my crew just for capturing an alien that I already had.

[*] It's hard to know which really important technologies are missing because of aliens that were not captured yet, and which of those aliens I still have to capture.

[*] I really appreciate the lack of deadly reapers during early game (from my experience, yet), and the bull reaper and xenomorph are nice additions.

[*] I really like that the AI is trying to throw grenades against shields, the anti-explosion armour really makes sense for them.

[*] There are always 2-3 aliens stacked behind the door of their ship, instead of properly getting behind covers or doing smarter moves.

[*] Some alien weapons fire sounds are way too loud (it made me jump on my seat a few times lol), I think there are some tools that can help automatically normalize the volume between all of them.

[*] The nexgen sniper firing sound (and possibly vanilla too, not sure) does a weird rearm sound at the end, which sounds a bit like a dying gargling alien (I picture a Xenomorph). Maybe it's just too loud compared to the shot sound itself.

[*] The hunter scout feels too armored compared to vanilla, I can just freely move around while usually resisting 90% of the damage. And then I get access to the tank really early.

[*] Things are really not clear about how to equip vehicle weapons and which can equip what: I unlocked the tank but I can't equip the cannon. Why are those vehicle weapons unlocked so early, while the vehicles that can use them are only unlocked later?

[*] Bug: (maybe this is already the case in vanilla/CE, or related to fire in the hole) I noticed that the hunter scout machinegun could suppress through the alien ship walls.

[*] The B17-X is really too much of a silly and hard to believe idea: this is a bomber, as in dropping bombs over a ground target, not a fighter plane. Anyway how could such an old design be any relevant? It's not at all shaped to go fast, and on the xpedia picture it clearly displays its original radial engines: you should at least photoshop them and put turbofan or turbojet engines instead.

[*] I think there is a bit too much variety in the aircrafts, but I would need to play more to get a better opinion.

[*] The AWACS radar plane is a great idea, however it's weird that it cannot be bought, is there a research to unlock it later?

[*] Many of the xpedia articles or other game texts are not well redacted and break the immersion, either because those are written in a bad english with many typos which makes them look childish (the amount of "then" typos is REALLY cringeworthy), and/or because the tone is not serious/believable enough. (I'm willing to help fixing them!)

[*] The "rebel alien knocked at our door" event is really hard to believe.

Edited by Valerian

@Valerian

As a player with way over 100 hours (Veteran, Ironman) in X-Division i have to say that the solutions to your feedback are minor or redundant.

Sry,I like to say what I think without taking detours.

@Valerian

As a player with way over 100 hours (Veteran, Ironman) in X-Division i have to say that the solutions to your feedback are minor or redundant.

Sry,I like to say what I think without taking detours.

I understand, however my point of view is different since I'm not a veteran, I wanted to give the impressions of someone who is currently discovering the mod.

Now that I have put a few more hours in it since my last post, I really find that my early annoyances do not affect me much anymore, I kind of got used to do with them and focus on what there is to enjoy.

However this does not make them less relevant for new players, and that's the point: I want to give feedback to make this mod easier to get into, and more polished.

Valerian, thanks for your feedback.

I know most of them, and you are right too.

The problem is the mod being huge. And 0.99 is maybe 3x bigger then 0.98.. even most of the 0.99 finished, i can't finish it because this is so big for a one man with bad english...

I need one or two dedicated helper to make the scenario and xpedia to explain new things to people. The game needs more softcoded things to mod to make the mod more playeble to players. I mean with tons of things, UI should be much more friendly or you can easily lose control within new content.

For this reasons, the mod halted.

Like you said, this is a big mod and really hard to do alone, I agree.

You made a lot of changes in 0.99, but you can't finish it completely because of the limitations of what can be modded, and the lot of time it takes.

Meanwhile, the current "stable" version is 0.98, and it will probably be for a long time until 0.99 gets finished.

So that's why I think it would be worth the effort to still fix a few things in 0.98.

I don't want to be a dedicated helper, but is it ok if I try to do some updates for 0.98, and send them to you in PM?

Also I have another comments:

From what I see in the XML files the breaching charges for "Fire in the Hole" are not implemented, and you made the breachable walls with about 50% more HP: it seems that there is no way to breach them early/mid game unless you use tons of rockets and explosive charges. What is intended there exactly?

I found a nice bomber plane that you might use, google "XB-0"

Edited by Valerian

Hey drages, I could certainly take a crack at helping flesh out those xpedia entries. At the very least I can make sure all the grammar is in order. Been a long while since i've done any modding. Just starting to see how things works.

I wanted to log some hours in the mod first to come to grips with it. Looking forward to the next version greatly.

I just wanted to report a bug (however I don't know if it's fault of the mod), the thing is when I click on the crashsite the description says it's a desert area, but when the dropship arrives it turns out to be a city. It started happening recently when bigger ships showed up.

Edited by Blackhorn