[v1.5/XCE] Instant Grenades

kabill

--- Overview ---

Just a small mod I made as per a request on Steam which changes Frag, Alenium, Plasma and Fusion grenades so that they explode instantly rather than at the end of the turn.

--- Installation ---

Download:

Instant Grenades v1.0

Installation:

Either unpack the file to assets/mods or install using the modding tools accessed via the game launcher.

Make sure when you have installed the mod that you activate it using the mod tools and that the mod has a higher priority than any other mods you are using that affect grenades.

To uninstall, simply deactivate the mod, delete the mod's folder manually delete via the modding tools.

Personally I'm happy with them as they are in vanilla. I like the fact that grenades don't explode instantly as it distinguishes them from direct-fire weapons (which, given that grenades have a very small AoE and so are basically short range direct-fire weapons, I think is quite important). It's also useful (and, IIRC, this is why it was implemented) for avoiding friendly-fire if you get a misthrow.

Nevertheless, I think it's a good thing to have a choice about and it's the kind of small change that the modular system is ideal for.

It's also useful (and, IIRC, this is why it was implemented) for avoiding friendly-fire if you get a misthrow.

You'll still end up with friendly fire if some of your soldiers don't have any TUs left to move out of harms way. Also, because it's quite hard to see where are the grenades you have thrown you might accidentally position your soldier next to one. Moreover, you can't see if you have already thrown enough grenades to kill the enemy or you still need to throw more. As a result, you are just needlessly wasting them.

You'll still end up with friendly fire if some of your soldiers don't have any TUs left to move out of harms way. Also, because it's quite hard to see where are the grenades you have thrown you might accidentally position your soldier next to one. Moreover, you can't see if you have already thrown enough grenades to kill the enemy or you still need to throw more. As a result, you are just needlessly wasting them.

Obviously it doesn't remove the risk of friendly fire entirely but it does give more of an opportunity to avoid it.

As for not knowing if a 'nade will kill the target - I see that as a feature rather than a flaw. Instant damage is what guns do; if grenades do instant damage too they're basically just short range guns. It also allows the player to work around the overdamage effect of grenades by using grenades first then finishing off targets with gunfire to avoid destroying equipment (doing the same when grenades explode at the end of the turn is of course possible but much riskier as you have to give the AI a chance to do something before you can shoot).

To be clear, I'm not interested in arguing that end-of-turn grenades are inherently better. It's a matter of preference and I just happen to like how they work in vanilla. (In fact, excluding flashbangs I'd prefer them to all work by exploding at the end of the turn).