Mods that have fallen by the wayside.

Lerzan

There is a mod that hasn't seen any activity for 4 months about, and while I'm trying to contact the mod developer if I can't is it ever appropriate to try and continue the mod (Giving large credit to the original developer) or is that frowned upon in the modding community?

I just want the mod to live on, but I don't want to offend anyone/violate a unspoken rule (I'm new to modding completely not just xenonauts )

Ok here are the rules that were written after one long,nasty ordeal.Read them to get full picture of what is allowed and what not.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11742-Modding-Rules-Modding-Other-People-s-Mods!

For your specific question:

Therefore, releasing optional balance patches and so forth for other people's mods is allowed without their permission provided the following conditions are met:

You do not claim you are responsible for creating the mod you are patching.

You credit the previous mod team and do not claim to be associated with them.

You link to the original download thread for the mod you are modding, and do not attempt to host their mod yourself.

You do not include any of their assets in your patch (modified or not). Your work must remain a separate download from theirs unless you have their permission to merge the mods.

In other words you could continue his work by making patches for original mod.As above is said you can't host entire mod nor you can use assets from that mod in your patch but you can add your own assets in mod via your patches as long as you follow above rules.

Also it depends from author to author.I know that some of modders that are MIA now,wouldn't mind if someone just picks their work where it's left,however I also know those who would have opposite opinion.

That's why yours best bet is to stick to the rules because no matter how mad original dev gets because of what you had done he can't do anything about it.Expect If he pulls out his mod from public, which is bad because you can't host original mod just your mod mod or patch.

Edited by Sentelin

They are many ppl disappeared for long time. If its so many months old, that mod cant be modded any more becouse the new system.. u need to resurrect it.. even i thoughts are different, rules are rules.. but send some pms and start your modding, if there wont be an answer for 1 month, i dont see any wrong thing to resurrect a mod..