V1.5 Stable CANDIDATE 6 Released! (19th Jan)

Another update to our Stable Candidate; again hopefully this is the last one. We've made three changes:

• The main fix is to an AI hang during the alien turn if a Reaper tried to reaction fire from outside of melee range.
  • We've also fixed a long-standing error with the upper floors of the Carrier UFO maps where flying units can get inside the walls of the ship and shoot down (hopefully now Harridans will be a bit less rage-inducing.)
  • The fusion rocket no longer displays the image of the plasma rocket when it is being dragged around the inventory.

We were hoping to officially release V1.5 this week but the first two issues probably merited an update; both were fairly significant issues. So we'll give it until Friday or perhaps next Monday and see if any new bugs show their faces, and if not we'll be officially putting out V1.5 then.

I have found many LOS issues still exist. My Xenonauts have been shot through rocks, walls, and even one dumpster. The rocks and dumpsters were direct shots literally through said objects. The walls, however, have been at angles, but the angles suggest that the shot should not have been able to hit the soldier since the alien was approximately two to three spaces away but unable to be seen while being fired upon. Are there any fixes for LOS in the upcoming stable 1.5?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I have found many LOS issues still exist. My Xenonauts have been shot through rocks, walls, and even one dumpster. The rocks and dumpsters were direct shots literally through said objects. The walls, however, have been at angles, but the angles suggest that the shot should not have been able to hit the soldier since the alien was approximately two to three spaces away but unable to be seen while being fired upon. Are there any fixes for LOS in the upcoming stable 1.5?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I am experiencing one obvious LOS issue. During a base defence mission, the aliens immediately killed one Xenonaut during the very first round! The Xenonaut was located just outside the Command Center, at the sandbag wall. Later in the same mission, I noticed visible aliens repeatedly shooting toward same spot, even though there were walls. I doubt it was because they wanted to destroy the briefing room blackboard that was in the way. (Caesan: "Oooo look, vital human intelligence equipment, BLOW IT UP!") More likely, they were aiming for the Xenonauts behind those walls.

It's also worth noting that the cover system which allows you to shoot round corners isn't always symmetrical; there are places where humans / aliens can shoot around a corner but cannot be hit by return fire from their target. It's quite a complex explanation as to why it happens (it's probably lurking somewhere on the forums) but it's not possible to fix it without disabling the "leaning" entirely.

The easiest way to test whether it is a bug or not by moving a soldier to the same tile where the alien had been standing and seeing if they have line of fire to the other spot. Aliens shooting through base walls does indeed sound a bit peculiar though.

By the way: leaning doesn't always work. As far as I have seen, you can always lean around building corners but you are unable to lean through windows, Middle East short walls (that appear very often in mentioned tileset) or some covers (like tractor, big rocks and any other cover that blocks vision). It seems that it has been hard-programmed to only be available around building corners while I think that it should be globally-programmed so you can lean around every obstacle you have on your side, like:

\|

ox

o

Where "\" and "|" indicate your vision (Xenonaut is looking north-west), "o" is an obstacle (any kind obstacle that blocks vision) and "x" is a Xenonaut.

This may not be the proper thread for this post because X:CE actually was working on LOS changes but I hope someone will read it and understand so that it will be patched and included into 1.5.