X:CE 0.32 Release Candidate

llunak

I've got a problem, my game kinda freezes during alien activity in first crashsite engage.. Music is still playing, can still move cursor, even water animations are still there but it's freezed and the alien turn wont end. Unit animations are freezed too, the damage numbers done to my units are freezed above units head too.

Any ideas?

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12193-How-to-Write-(Good)-Bug-Reports

Sorry from spamming, but I just realised it's probably tied to revealing an alien at the same moment you move to an unrevealed, black tile. The game won't crash in similar situations if there are no aliens.

[ATTACH]6142[/ATTACH] I still need to finish sorting out another bugfix for RC3.

One more: if there's a prop adjacent to an alien base railing, unit can vault over the railing into the prop.

Testcase?

Xenonauts.exe.zip

Xenonauts.exe.zip

While the new roof toggle stuff in great and I looooove it, it does cause severe problems with bigger ufos. All multi piece ufo's (Cruiser ->) are terrible in regards of when the insides are showing or not. When inside cruisers right wing (viewed from player) roof will toggle on not matter what you do, same thing when entering carriers back room in first level.

Regarding the jumping-over-things-into-props issue: I've seen a few AI units do that too vaulting through windows. In case that's useful to know.

While the new roof toggle stuff in great and I looooove it, it does cause severe problems with bigger ufos. All multi piece ufo's (Cruiser ->) are terrible in regards of when the insides are showing or not. When inside cruisers right wing (viewed from player) roof will toggle on not matter what you do, same thing when entering carriers back room in first level.

Can anyone think why replacing the multi-segment images with composite ones would be a bad idea? I.e. rather than having each level split in two, just have the two parts rendered together in the same spectre.

As I know my way around the submap editor and the UFOs I'm quite happy to sort this if it's the preferred solution.

This occurred again on a fresh install after deleting every remaining xenonauts file. [X:CE 0.32 RC2] There is no mod that could possibly be missing (if this is what you are referring to), as I'm using no other mods but the ones included in XCE, and I've tried deactivating all mods but the required XCE / balance / settings mods. Simply load the save, and have any soldier shoot another soldier, or have any soldier be killed by an alien. (Screenshot not needed as all it would show is a dead soldier and not really give you any needed info, as you cannot tell the game is frozen from a screenshot.) Hopefully this includes all relevant info, and you can now proceed to stomp the problem out.

Save - [ATTACH]6036[/ATTACH]

That should be avoided by http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12710-X-CE-0-32-RC2-Soldier-death-causes-freezing?p=145132&viewfull=1#post145132 . Can you still reproduce the problem with that workaround?

I can't see anything wrong. Testcase?

Can anyone think why replacing the multi-segment images with composite ones would be a bad idea? I.e. rather than having each level split in two, just have the two parts rendered together in the same spectre.

As I know my way around the submap editor and the UFOs I'm quite happy to sort this if it's the preferred solution.

I would say that they are multipart because the game always shows the whole part when visible, so this prevents the whole of the UFO be seen from a distance and such.

I would say that they are multipart because the game always shows the whole part when visible, so this prevents the whole of the UFO be seen from a distance and such.

I think this is the reason, yes. But I'm not sure this is a huge problem (once you know where one bit of the UFO is you implicitly know where the rest of it is too). And if it's causing problems I'd argue it would be better to get rid of it. Although if you'd prefer an in-code solution I'd not object (it would save me having to redo bits of my mods).

I can't see anything wrong. Testcase?

I'll try to get you something later.

There's also a related issue where when reaction firing from outside into a ufo or when aliens shoot from inside a ufo at xenonauts outside, its roof is not removed and you can't see where the shots land/are shot from.

Edited by Skitso

llunak, I'm getting few new issues with the new fixed exe: Sometimes units don't align themselves in the grid after movement. Also, maybe related, sometimes the walking sound effect is stuck looping in the background.

Sorry, can't be more specific atm, but I'm pretty sure the changes you made in the new .exe has caused these as I've never had these before.

it appears the game freezes every time a xenonaut is hit unconsious (fire/smoke animations keep working). X:CE 0.31 haven't had this problem.

the end of logfile:

[6100] chanceToHitTarget (43.740) = (unitAccuracy (54.000) * crouchingTargetMul (1.000) + shortRangeHitBonus (0.000)) * smokeScore (0.810)[6100] terrainAccuracy (without smoke) = (1.000)[6100] Shot hit[6100] >>> End calc. projectile trajectory <<<[6100] Soldier (Leon Radondo) hit explosion:[6100]   shield damage (0) = damage (20) * (shield chance (0) / 100.0)[6100]   damage (20) = damage (20) - shield damage (0)[6100]   armour damage reduction (0) = max(0, armour resistance (12) - armour mitigation (25))[6100]   damage (20) = max(0, damage (20) - armour damage reduction (0))[6100] Unit HP (30) = max( -20, unit HP (50) - damage (20) )[6100]   stun damage (30) = max(0, stun damage (30) - armour damage reduction (0)[6100] Unit stun HP (0) = max( 0, unit stun HP (18) - damage (30) )[6100] Trying to play animation death_DNY[6100]   morale change by (-24.000) = damage (20) * moraleRate (-1.200)[6100] morale (9) = max(100, min(0, morale (33) + value (-24))) (with boost = 9) (soldier: Leon Radondo)[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.006348 sec.[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.001465 sec.[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.005371 sec.[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.005859 sec.[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.004883 sec.[6100] ICharacter::SetLOSFOW() took 0.005859 sec.[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.000977 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] CTileBasedSceneRenderer::SetNightForAllTiles_Human(TRect) took 0.001465 sec[6100] UpdateTilesDayMode(TRect) took 0.022949 sec, processed 7 objs.[6100] UpdateTilesDayMode(TRect) took 0.014160 sec, processed 7 objs.

llunak, I'm getting few new issues with the new fixed exe: Sometimes units don't align themselves in the grid after movement. Also, maybe related, sometimes the walking sound effect is stuck looping in the background.

Sorry, can't be more specific atm, but I'm pretty sure the changes you made in the new .exe has caused these as I've never had these before.

Possibly related to the issues I've quoted above, sometimes aliens vanish when shot or at least stop being a valid target. Also, after this happens I've had at least one infinite AI turn. These issues all began after I started using the new fixed exe you posted earlier.

Possibly related to the issues I've quoted above, sometimes aliens vanish when shot or at least stop being a valid target. Also, after this happens I've had at least one infinite AI turn. These issues all began after I started using the new fixed exe you posted earlier.

I think I've seen this too; I've definitely had some other oddities (i.e. aliens which I assume were dead but still displayed a normal sprite and could be targeted etc. They never do anything but still block tiles). However, I'm running loads of mods at the moment so wasn't sure if it was something I broke or XCE related (and even if it were the latter I suspect I'm running too many mods to produce a useful savegame).

I'm pretty sure the looping walk sfx is caused by an alien that died when walking in fire inside the ufo. (I'm using kabill's enchanted crash sites mod.) The looping sound started at the beginning of my turn before I moved anyone. Later I found an unkillable (already dead? but still standing) alien inside the ufo. After I entered the ufo, the game hang during the AI turn. These are of course just guesses but I'll just report all the things I've noticed as I can't provide saves.

Edited by Skitso

The problems with the exe I posted are because of Giovanni's fix for teleport reaction fire freeze that I cherry picked for X:CE. I'm looking into the problem.

Right now, if you don't want to go back to 0.31 for the time being, the best option should be sticking with RC2 and doing http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12710-X-CE-0-32-RC2-Soldier-death-causes-freezing?p=145132&viewfull=1#post145132 .

Some (positive!) feedback: I never really saw much of wraiths as I've not played to the latter parts of the game much. As such, I don't have much to use as a point of comparison.

However, I've encountered quite a few over the last few days and I'm finding the changes to teleport AI very good. I was expecting that to mean that Wraiths would tend to head for cover more or something like that but this seems not to be the case. Instead, they've been teleporting into places near to my squad, often out of cover but also out of LoS and typically in locations towards the rear or that I've already scouted and think are safe. As such, they've done a very good job of taking me by surprise either because I've not seen them at all or only spot them by chance as a result of doing something else. Either way, they've proven very dangerous and - though I've only just started to realise this - require a different approach to the mission to deal with effectively. All of which is to say that I strongly approve of the changes.

(Anecdote to illustrate: touched down on a terror mission, start disembarking troops. A few turns later - and everything's already not going great at this point - there's a Wraith shooting my soldiers from inside the dropship!)

More on this - just had a soldier take damage off of a tile which was on fire. It played the death audio and reduced the soldier to 0 HP. However, the soldier did not die and I could carry on moving them around. At the end of the mission, the soldier did not count towards the number of units killed in the stats but nevertheless was shown as killed in the soldier list.

(What's especially odd is that I think the offending tile was one of the persistent fires from Fire in the Hole and not a 'normal' fire. It shouldn't be possible to walk on those tiles at all since they're set as impassible and even if it were possible they shouldn't do any damage. Only thing I can think of is some interaction between that and Power Core Explosions.)