[v1.09/X:CE v0.30] X - Division - In Earth We Fight Ver: 0.9

drages

How about a new building? An anti-air missile battery, to replace/supplement the aircrafts shooting down the UFOs?

For instance a UFO is too far away for the F-17 Condors to reach it, so the commander decides to launch some S-300 missiles.

The fight is auto-resolved and the UFO is lucky or.. not..

Having the AA missiles would be a good option, if against larger UFOs, to soften the taget before the fighters finish the job..

The building would be "cheap", but would have a high upkeep (to replenish the missiles). Maybe like the radar, you would build more than 1 building to increase the number of AAs launched when intercepting a UFO?

K so here are my thoughts so far on weapon balance. Relative to rifles, all other weapon systems are terrible.

For example, the APkinetic rifle has 18 range and the sniper has 20. Their ranges are pretty much the same.

Using in-game % changes, with the AP sniper I get a 54% chance*3 giving a 91% chance of getting at least one hit. The rifle is 26%*3 giving a 59% chance of getting a hit. However the rifle has 1/3rd of the TU cost, so shooting all nine times you get a 93% chance of scoring at least one hit. This means that the rifle has better effective accuracy than the sniper rifle, assuming that everyone has full TUs. If they don't the sniper rifles fall even further behind pretty quickly.

Now let's look at damage. 28 for the rifle and 40 for the sniper. Assuming every shot hits the target a sniper rifle has a max of 120 damage per turn. The rifle has a max of 252.

So the rifle does a lot more damage, has better accuracy, and more efficient use of time units. The sniper rifle has....two extra range. Yes the sniper has 15 more mitigation but the rifle has much better reaction shots.

Alright so let's look at the shotgun. Since the shotgun is a point blank weapon I am mostly going to look at pure damage since that's what it is good for. We will be using burst shot from rifles since it is point blank as well. advanced rifles have 3*3*42=378 damage total. Advanced shotguns have 3*4*24=288 damage total. Yeah. So it gives up range and accuracy for....a big nerf to damage. I don't see any point in ever using one. If the reaction modifier were significantly higher than the rifle, like 2-3 it might be okay but 0.8 to 1 seems to make very little difference.

I am not even going to talk about how completely awful the advanced machinegun is, it's just too terrible to even think about.

Anyways I use nothing but rifles now. In vanilla xenonauts I used nothing but shotguns and machineguns. I always felt regular rifles were pretty weak so I am glad you've beefed them up to shoot more times which is what they should have been doing in the first place, but the rest of the weapons are so pathetic that you're only left with a single choice of weapon to use.

@ozi yeah you are right,rifles are pretty buffed and other weapons are kind of useless (sniper rifles should be at least double or even triple range..so there sould be a number between 40-65 of range to give them their proper rule usefulness).

And even if you are right with shotgun being a little worst than adv rifle..that 0.8 reaction fire is totally worth.

reaction fire works in the next way:

your soldier draw his weapon..alien foe does the same...wich ever got the lesser reaction number SHOOT FIRST!.....and thats its!. So, because mostly of alien rifles have a 1.0 modifier, that means that in every case a shotgun is used to reaction fire..it will shoot first :).

but yeah...dragues announced he will rework ALL tu's,range and basically all stats for every weapon, but you need to know that proccess will take time (included it propper game and bug testing). And after that he will start doing tooltips ...so that will take a little time, hope everything works as intended and we must try to give him all the help we can, so the process could be done faster :)!.

Ah okay. I haven't read all 666 posts so I didn't know that he was planning on doing weapon balancing. Also as to reaction times the rifle has 0.8 and the shotgun 1.0.....not sure if you read what I wrote in the way that I meant it?

I just researched AP SMGs which turned out to be one handed weapons. They're like mini rifles you can use shields with. I like them and they are the new shotgun for me.

You know I've said a number of things I don't like about the mod so far, so I am going to post something I do like. I love the way aircraft work in this one. I am always short on resources for building planes and weapons for them. I think it's great and should be kept exactly the way it is.

Ok I noticed some weirdness regarding AI.It's trying to be way too "sneaky" and I am not talking just about Xenomoprhs .This has most likely to do with high EnemyLoS value.EnemyLoS value makes alien avoid tiles where your soldiers have LoS.Higher value it is the aliens will be more sneaky freaks (they will try to avoid those tiles constantly).With old LoS algorithm XNT script worked incredible but new 3D algorithm may have changed some rules (I feared that this would be the case).As I mentioned V6 was released in rush and changes that I made and TD's last minute changes to AI script have not been thoroughly tested (Black Wolf found it convenient to become MIA :) and I didn't felt like testing it myself ).

So why do I think it's weird ?Wierd is that even though Ceasean non-combat coudn't escape LoS of soldier he was running to UFO entrance and back to some room in UFO every turn.I know this because Xenomorph was at entrance running from wall to wall inside UFO so I had eyes on two of them for good deal of time.Why do I think LoS is major problem here ?Well because as soon as I have moved soldier who had LoS on them to other spot and lost LoS,Xenomorph took chance to sneak behind one soldier.Surronding tiles including one behind him was in FoG (Fog of War - I didn't have LoS ).

Edited by Sentelin

So why do I think it's weird ?Wierd is that even though Ceasean non-combat coudn't escape LoS of soldier he was running to UFO entrance and back to some room in UFO every turn.I know this because Xenomorph was at entrance running from wall to wall inside UFO so I had eyes on two of them for good deal of time..

THIS!!!!, i posted this before, it was really annoying watching them move back and foward without doing anything, yeah you are right, aliens are waaaaaay tooo "sneaky", specially melee aliens, dragues explained me today some of the reasons so i understand it better and also he and our glorious leader sentelin are working on it :D!

(nice to see you sent!, sorry for the long mia, i was in the medbay after a hard ground combat you know :P!).

(nice to see you sent!, sorry for the long mia, i was in the medbay after a hard ground combat you know !).

Heh I will be active for short time and then back to be MIA again for who knowns how long.While I am here I will try to help drages regarding AI.

Anyway did you try to play hero and save another old lady and got couple of broken ribs again (hard ground combat and all that if that's how you like to call it:) )

xDDD kind of, you know compadre, playing in venezuela is like insane with iron man mode activated :P!.

And actually this time it wasnt my fault, those pesky caesans used some kind of new biological weapon on me and i got chinkungunya fever (some kind of stupid tropical illness xD) plus a several dose of PATRIA :D.

Heh I will be active for short time and then back to be MIA again for who knowns how long.While I am here I will try to help drages regarding AI.

Anyway did you try to play hero and save another old lady and got couple of broken ribs again (hard ground combat and all that if that's how you like to call it:) )

it's nice too see u as a experienced modder here at the last versions of x division. I am ready for every ai help from u. As u said before our main and maybe only problem is running enemies. Wè need more aggressive ones. Ranged and melee. I used ur advises and tried some before and new reapers (with sebilians green and red) are much more aggressive. I will try your ai after some hours.

about rifles. Yes.. everything will get a biiiiig overhaul. I know what to do with rifle sniper shotgun. But u said machine guns are very bad.. why? How should it be.? Go go go.. give me everything..

Eh, I personally don't care if the machine gun changes are reverted back to the vanilla. Rifles and LMG handling seems quite similar in this build actually, both are mobile and involve burst-fire-spray-and-pray (yes, there is penalty to moving and firing but it's mitigated by greater number of bullets)

I assume people like me won't have much less incentive to post. If you're concerned, it's not like all machine gun types have to share the same TU % formula, could create sub-class of weapons which behaves like current LMG, but is less effective stat-wise than either "actual" heavy weapons or rifles due to having a best of both worlds.

Edited by ventuswings

it's nice too see u as a experienced modder here at the last versions of x division. I am ready for every ai help from u. As u said before our main and maybe only problem is running enemies. Wè need more aggressive ones. Ranged and melee. I used ur advises and tried some before and new reapers (with sebilians green and red) are much more aggressive. I will try your ai after some hours.

about rifles. Yes.. everything will get a biiiiig overhaul. I know what to do with rifle sniper shotgun. But u said machine guns are very bad.. why? How should it be.? Go go go.. give me everything..

Drages, your made your rifle more realistic and fun by having it effective at suppressing. However, that was the machine gun's previous role. What might be a good idea is having the machine gun excellent at moving down targets in the open. A LMG with no reaction fire penalty, decent accuracy, but extremely high recoil and possibly reduced range might work. Something that sweeps areas.

On a side note, I've finished a test mod for long range mortar tube things. Do you have any suggestions for long/short range grenades you haven't added in your own mod?

Previously machineguns had good damage at range as well as offering good suppression. The disadvantage was that if your machineguns were suppressed they could not fire. Now rifles fill those rolls without that downside.

Again looking at damage an advanced machinegun has a total of 144 damage with full time units while an advanced rifle has a total of 378 damage. That is 263% more damage than the machinegun. That assumes that every bullet hits. Machineguns have less range and lower accuracy as well, so rifles probably do 300% of the damage of a machinegun. That difference is massive alone, but rifles have better reaction fire, faster reloads, lower weight, no strength requirement, lower construction and research costs, and doesn't have the HUGE disadvantage of not being able to shoot when suppressed. Machineguns have nothing to offer.

If the advanced machinegun had three times the damage per round that it does now it would at least be comparable in damage output, however it would still have all the other disadvantages.

In real life machineguns are good at taking down attacking crowds. If you translate this to xenonauts it might mean this:

Bullet damage = 42

Reaction fire modifier = 2.0

Bullets per attack = 3

TU cost of attack = 24-25%

If it is possible to make it only possible to fire when crouching that would not only give them a fixed placement feel, but it would also eat up three time units only allowing you to fire three times instead of four even from a standstill. Keep range and accuracy the same and effective damage should be pretty close to rifles. Less if you're on the move, and more if you're staying still. You need 70 str, but to make up for it you get good reaction fire.

I'm working on a research tree visualizator. Not finished yet, but works on the "Name" and "Requires" field of researches.xml.

I've been lazy, so I haven't created an XML parser, but used CSV export from LibreOffice. It has some problems with the "When Finished" column (that's why I've excluded for the time being). It is messing with LF characters, but I'll fix it...

For the ugly graph output blame Graphviz, not me :)

You can find the output SVG file here.

Ellipse: "researches"

Rectangle: "items" (and possibly other stuff if there is any)

Arrows pointing to the small red dots means AND relation.

Arrows pointing to a node means OR relation.

Edited by kubi

I'm working on a research tree visualizator. Not finished yet, but works on the "Name" and "Requires" field of researches.xml.

I've been lazy, so I haven't created an XML parser, but used CSV export from LibreOffice. It has some problems with the "When Finished" column (that's why I've excluded for the time being). It is messing with LF characters, but I'll fix it...

For the ugly graph output blame Graphviz, not me :)

You can find the output SVG file here.

Ellipse: "researches"

Rectangle: "items" (and possibly other stuff if there is any)

Arrows pointing to the small red dots means AND relation.

Arrows pointing to a node means OR relation.

Hahahhahaa i call this a research web!!.. so if i update the research.xml, can u do this again easily? I will add something more and the names should be updated for real names (at string.xml)..

But its realy nice!!

well im already finished my game and havent found more important bugs (appart from the ones reported in pages 66 and 67 and shields being 0/500 etc in equipment bay, titanium and forcefield shield) late game, only random crashes when dissasembling the assault lander (dreadnought works well). awsome. i got that end boss with my tank hahaha you cant with my tank singularity shells :mad: well they got 3 of my bases but yeah i won the war :)

Edited by asierus24

well im already finished my game and havent found more important bugs (appart from the ones reported in pages 66 and 67 and shields being 0/500 etc in equipment bay, titanium and forcefield shield) late game, only random crashes when dissasembling the assault lander (dreadnought works well). awsome. i got that end boss with my tank hahaha you cant with my tank singularity shells :mad: well they got 3 of my bases but yeah i won the war :)

Asierus, can u check that u researched every possible new weapon in game.. its important. We need to find out if there is something kills the research chain and stop you to reach new weapons..

Singularity cannon rulllzz :P but last boss was very powerful too..

Asierus, can u check that u researched every possible new weapon in game.. its important. We need to find out if there is something kills the research chain and stop you to reach new weapons..

Singularity cannon rulllzz :P but last boss was very powerful too..

well im sure that i left something xD i will give me via debug all items to see if i leaved something.

even playng all the cg that i can im sure i miss something .)

i left here the glorious end :) SPOILER ALER! xD

i even pickup the boss with me lol xD (it gave a "send to research" after mission but well game ends but.. xD

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38613565822851814/E63AB5F58BF874509BD677468C787A700BB22F73/

the heroes and research of boss?

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38613565822852103/02017FA686BDBD1CA287C5543FD367A51406B6BA/

too dead civilians :)

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38613565822852398/DD7D06E8A22779E1FD7AE451D779CC6C4D64DCC1/

Sure, I can re-create it any time.

I will share the scripts when they are commented a bit more (than nothing). You need only graphviz and gawk. Both exist for windows.

Btw, can you get rid of the multi line cells somehow? In Excel if you press alt-enter, there will be a multi line cell that is exported to CSV in a strange way (at least by LibreOffice). Could you please export a CSV from MS office (cell separator TAB, string cells without "" protection)?

Sure, I can re-create it any time.

I will share the scripts when they are commented a bit more (than nothing). You need only graphviz and gawk. Both exist for windows.

Btw, can you get rid of the multi line cells somehow? In Excel if you press alt-enter, there will be a multi line cell that is exported to CSV in a strange way (at least by LibreOffice). Could you please export a CSV from MS office (cell separator TAB, string cells without "" protection)?

I will do a clean excel file rather then this research.xml... because even i try to play with cell sizes it acn problem so i mostly dont touch anything rather then entries..

asierus24

I need the weapons you could not research.. we can check at research.xml where it stucked..

I will do a clean excel file rather then this research.xml... because even i try to play with cell sizes it acn problem so i mostly dont touch anything rather then entries..

asierus24

I need the weapons you could not research.. we can check at research.xml where it stucked..

radioactive weapons , gauss weapons and ANTI MATTER uniques. seems broken i gaved me every single item i can and the only things i miss was taking alive lots of xenomorphs, nothing more, i will check xml to see if i can find more.

Edited by asierus24

radioactive weapons , gauss weapons and ANTI MATTER uniques. seems broken i gaved me every single item i can and the only things i miss was taking alive lots of xenomorphs, nothing more, i will check xml to see if i can find more.

Be sure that u got all alien weapon researchs..

And how did u handle the queens and empresses at command rooms?

And how did u handle the queens and empresses at command rooms?

well they were a little tought but i got them with singus and mag :) i got warder armours and ripper and on easy difficulty. in normal they must be hard :)

i seem to have research alien ion weapons and alien heavy ion weapons twice, each lol, last one unlocked a xenopedia imabge of alien heavy pulse weapons? , i already researched gauss weapons, but i had to use the debug mode so maybe the required items drop too little or dont drop, because i fought on every cg ufo type 5 or 6 or more times each :)

gauss weps worked well i missed pulsed :)

-bugs: particle acceleration research gives a #### manufacture wich is hadron collider

im sure now that i researched all i have all uniques and weapons except the radioactive and anti matter sniper unique with seems to need radiactive weps :)

and for some reason radioactive weapons cant be researched i have all prerequisites, or al least i think i have seeing the xml and giving me all requisites to the prerequisites :)

one note: i got multi barrel alenium minigun "purifier" too late ingame so it became usseles when i researched it :)

anti matter unique pistol "penetrator" sounds like it shoots 2 times but only shoots once (uses 1 bullet only) :)

Edited by asierus24