Explanation of the cover system

Hiawata

Hey everyone,

I just started playing Xenonauts a few days ago, and then switched to the Community Edition and started again. To the guys who made that on their own, free time - thanks a lot for effort!

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the cover indicators? The ones that appear when you hold a cursor over a tile you want to move to. I see there are four colors: red, green, yellow and white. The way I figured it out is the following:

1) Red - 100% cover (cannot be hit from that side)

2) Green - partial cover (e.g. a tree, or anything that's half-height)

3) White - can shoot around the corner (but what cover do I have - partial or full?)

4) Yellow - I have no idea.

Can someone tell me what yellow is, and also tell me if I got the previous ones wrong?

Thanks a lot!

The indicators show directions of cover (with the exception of the red color, which was a later addition and maybe I shouldn't have done that). An obstacle along the north edge partially protects also north-west and north-east.

There's no full and half cover, this is not Firaxis XCOM, every object may have different blocking chance depending on its size, and the indicators say nothing about that.

I think I'm not getting something.

When a unit shoots, there may be intervening objects in the path of the shot. Each object has a certain blocking chance, and as I understood the manual, only the object with the highest blocking chance reduces the to-hit chance. The object that the shooter is standing next to is ignored in this calculation.

So, when you say that the colors are a scale, does that mean that they indicate the blocking chance of the object that you are standing next to? But, when you say that the cover indicators say nothing about the blocking chance, then you mean that they do not say anything about the ultimate blocking chance, since that may well depend on another object, and not your cover?

So, if I stand like this (x is empty tile, T is tree, P is player):

xTx

xPx

xxx

then the tree blocks, say, 30% if the shot comes from the north, but only, say, 15% if it comes from the north-west or north-east? And, this doesn't have to be the actual blocking chance applied to the shot being fired at me, since there may be other objects in the way that have a higher blocking chance?

If that is the case, what is the ranking of the colors? Red seems to be 100% blocking chance, but what is the order after that - yellow, green and then white?

Also, re your comment that you perhaps shouldn't have added red - if I interpreted what the color means correctly, then I'm finding it very useful to know if an object will completely protect me (and also prevent me from shooting in a certain direction).

Sorry if I'm being boring, but you say the colors are just a scale, but I can't figure out what scale you're talking about. If it's some more complicated mechanic behind them, then there's no need to explain it, but if it's something that a player should be explicitly aware of for direct gameplay reasons, then I'm not getting it.