Xenonauts V1.5 Stable CANDIDATE (28 Nov) released!

We've released a Stable Candidate on the Experimental branch on Steam. If this proves not to have any bugs in it, we'll push it out as the official Stable release on the main Steam branch and all other platforms. Until then, you need to access the Experimental branch to get your hands on it: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/5958-Xenonauts-Experimental-Builds-Instructions

There is almost certainly going to be another Stable Candidate before final release of V1.5 though. Explanation at the bottom, after the changelog:

CHANGELOG:

• Bleeding has been moved to the turn end to remove the possibility of a soldier dying before you have a chance to treat them.
  • Maintenance costs are now lower on the easier difficulty settings: Normal has a 0.9x modifier, Easy has a 0.75x modifier.
  • Keybindings from X:CE should now be inherited correctly. The mousewheel controls the camera level and Tab cycles through your soldiers, and quicksave (F5) and quickload (F8) also function. You can also use "N" to "finish" a soldier's move and then cycle to the next "unfinished" soldier.
  • Fixed the alien base crash that affected some machines
  • Added the reload TU cost to all weapon tooltips
  • Fixed the medal bravery increase for the medals that were still not behaving correctly
  • If explanatory tooltips are disabled you can now still access the Mission Briefing screen
  • LOS should update correctly after mind control wears off now

The reason why this probably won't be the actual Stable build is because of the force fire issues that become apparent when you try to free-target walls. At the moment the cursor is snapping to the ground tiles, which makes it difficult to target walls (it's usually aiming for the tile behind them and therefore telling you the shot is blocked). We'll need to fix that up, so we expect to put out another update with that fix in the next few days.

Any other bug reports in the interim would be appreciated. The keybind stuff is kinda hard for me to test too as it's done on a per-machine rather than per-build basis, so it'd be useful if people could verify that's working correctly too!

I started a new game and I can´t shoot through windows anymore (100% block).

I can still see through them :)

It's been like this for me for a while now, I think ever since I started playing on the experimental build. You'll have to manually break the window with melee first before you can shoot through it, which makes perfect sense to me, so it's not a real issue personally.

Edit: not to sound like nagging, but my issue in this thread still persists in this build.

Edited by EvilEagles

It's been like this for me for a while now, I think ever since I started playing on the experimental build. You'll have to manually break the window with melee first before you can shoot through it, which makes perfect sense to me, so it's not a real issue personally.

Edit: not to sound like nagging, but my issue in this thread still persists in this build.

It doesn't bother me too much since it affects the bad guys as much as me, but I don't think it makes any sense either, to be honest. A single pane of glass wouldn't significantly slow down a bullet, let alone stop it. To say nothing of a high-energy laser or plasma bolt!

It doesn't bother me too much since it affects the bad guys as much as me, but I don't think it makes any sense either, to be honest. A single pane of glass wouldn't significantly slow down a bullet, let alone stop it. To say nothing of a high-energy laser or plasma bolt!

Hmm. Yeah actually you're right. I guess I'm subconsciously used to the guys in EU/EW always manually breaking the glass before shooting.

I just had a soldier take bleeding damage on the same turn he was hit, so I don't think that particular change made it in properly I'm afraid.

*edit* Or at least the popup appeared at the same time it normally would, I didn't actually notice when the damage was done.

Edited by Troublechuter

Shots that miss are behaving very strangely. Shots usually scattered when they missed, but now my machine-gunner will fire 10 shots on target but only a few typically cause damage. The rest of the shots are labelled as "miss" despite the shots landing on the tile an alien is standing on. I believe there was a change for 1.53 that reverted to how shots used to miss before the experimental builds, but this effect seems to be out of proportion.

Shots no longer scatter. I don't have to worry about putting soldiers in front of my machine-gunner because he can thread bullets between them when aiming at aliens. No longer do I need to worry about errant rocket shots. I really think reverting scattering back to how it worked in 1.52 would be perfect. The effect is so egregious that it seems like a bug to me.

(As this is my first post, hello! I've been playing for about two months and the game is great. I just wanted to point something out I think is really important to how ground combat works.)

I just had a soldier take bleeding damage on the same turn he was hit, so I don't think that particular change made it in properly I'm afraid.

Indeed. I've come across this as well.

When first playing, not being able to shoot through windows until breaking it (through melee or shooting at it) really threw me off. I feel as if shooting through windows should be like a 20% block instead of the 100% it is now (or whatever percentage is seen as realistic/fun.). A shot that is not blocked would make the shot go through with the window intact and a block would break the window making future shots with a block chance of 0%. Not all glass is bulletproof. Until I learned about the melee attack, I thought snipers in buildings were pretty much useless. If this is a purposeful design choice, then I would love to see the explanation if it exists in an older post.

I feel this issue is made worse if aliens don't actively break windows to make shots as this gives the players a slight battle advantage. Aliens usually shoot anyway so it isn't necessarily safe to stay behind windows forever. Just something else to think about.

Edited by Mecza

Shots that miss are behaving very strangely. Shots usually scattered when they missed, but now my machine-gunner will fire 10 shots on target but only a few typically cause damage. The rest of the shots are labelled as "miss" despite the shots landing on the tile an alien is standing on. I believe there was a change for 1.53 that reverted to how shots used to miss before the experimental builds, but this effect seems to be out of proportion.

Yeah, I said that heavy weapons felt a bit "off" in the 1.53 thread, but I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why. It feels like most of my "missed" shots are still hitting the square the target is standing in, when they would previously scatter off target. I'm not actually hitting any less often than before, it just looks weird for a hail of bullets to land right on target, but only two or three of them actually do damage. Bring back the scatter!

I feel this issue is made worse if aliens don't actively break windows to make shots as this gives the players a slight battle advantage. Aliens usually shoot anyway so it isn't necessarily safe to stay behind windows forever. Just something else to think about.

Yeah, aliens don't seem to shoot through windows anymore, because they know that windows block shots now, whereas they wouldn't before and so you'd get shot through windows all the time. That's what I don't like about the new "uber-glass"; either its regular glass in which case even a handgun bullet should go through unimpeded, or its bulletproof and you wouldn't have much luck smashing it open with the butt of your rifle either. What we have now is some weird alien material that's bulletproof once and then falls apart, but shatters instantly when struck in melee.

Edited by Troublechuter

Yeah, we've done a bit of digging and you guys are right about the miss shots behaving strangely. We're working on a fix for it in the next build.

We think the bleeding is working fine, though - it happens at the end of the player's turn, so if you hit someone with friendly fire they'll take damage at the end of that turn. But if the aliens hit them you've got your entire turn before they take bleed damage.

Yeah, we've done a bit of digging and you guys are right about the miss shots behaving strangely. We're working on a fix for it in the next build.

Yay! Is there any chance you could take a look at how glass windows are behaving as well? Currently they block the first thing to hit them whatever that thing is, but realistically even the smallest caliber round would just go straight through. Didn't it used to work that way?

Yeah, you're right. Windows are also behaving differently too and I'd prefer they worked as they did in V1.09.

I've not really played much since the change was made in XCE, but I was under the impression that windows had been changed so that they could provide cover *and* allow shots which pass through (i.e. miss the cover) to break the glass (i.e. the best solution).

Assuming this isn't just a bug in the new code, could this be the result of using the old window spectres? The vanilla window spectres have a block chance of 100% so that the bullet always counts as having hit the window for the purposes of prop damage while the window flag is what makes the bullet always pass through regardless of stopping chance. If you've only taken the code for the window changes without updating the spectres to have less than 100% block chance, that would explain why it's not working at the moment.

(It's quite possible I'm wrong, but thought it worth asking just in case. Perhaps llunak could clarify since he made the changes?)

(It's quite possible I'm wrong, but thought it worth asking just in case. Perhaps llunak could clarify since he made the changes?)

It's quite very possible that you're right :). As I've already said elsewhere, it looks like 1.5 has not merged in changes from X:CE's bigassets repository.