Xenonauts V1.53 Experimental Released!

Xenonauts V1.53 has been released on the Experimental branch. Please read this thread if you want to know what the Experimental branch is and how to access it: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/5958-Xenonauts-Experimental-Builds-Instructions

This build is mostly about bugfixes, and will be followed by a V1.54 as there are still a few bugs we'll be fixing (listed at the bottom of the post). It is likely that I'll do a full playthrough of the game some time next week so I can feel more confident we've found all the big bugs, but please do report any issues you experience in V1.53 as this is going to be our last big push to fix the remaining issues in the game!

Changelog:

• We've added an epilogue from the Chief Scientist that appears on the victory screen.
  • We've now reverted some of the X:CE changes to how the game treats the scatter of "miss" shots; the game should now operate like it did in vanilla.
  • Soldiers can no longer be assigned / unassigned from airborne dropships.
  • Burst fire has now been added to the right-click shot type cycling.
  • Equipment is no longer disappearing from your stores if you do not have enough equipment to outfit the default Rifleman loadout.
  • Looted civilian weapons no longer clutter up the stores screen.
  • Rocket launchers now correctly remember the ammo they are loaded with on the Geoscape.
  • Medals should now correctly grant bravery to soldiers.
  • Flying units no longer consume TU when told to crouch mid-air (which they cannot do).
  • Fixed some sprite issues, including Wraiths turning into Caesans when throwing grenades.
  • Flying armour sprites now rotate correctly while turning in flight.
  • If a UFO is destroyed by base defence batteries, it no longer remains on the map above your base for the rest of the game.
  • Game no longer freezes when an alien vaults from inside your LOS to outside of it.
  • Game no longer crashes if you send a soldier to battle with an ammo equipped as their primary weapon.

Changes Scheduled for V1.54:

• Bleed damage will be applied at the end of the player's turn, so units cannot survive a shot but then bleed out before the player has a chance to give them first aid.
  • Keybindings from X:CE have been lost (cycling soldiers, quicksave / load, etc) and we need to add them back in.
  • There are some line of sight issues within UFOs caused by loading games and soldiers recovering from Mind Control where the UFO roof will not unhide itself. We'll fix those up too.
  • We need to add the reload TU cost of weapons to the tooltips.

So please give the game a test and see if you can find anything extra that needs fixing! Hopefully V1.5 Stable isn't too far away now!

Wow, that's a great list of changes and fixes. That just about covers all of the minor issues I still had with the game (particularly medals not giving bravery and flying soldier behavior). I'm really impressed by how you guys are still supporting this game considerably post-release. Will start a new game today to help playtest everything :cool:

So far, through five ground missions, three of my troops earned the Order Of Gallantry, and all three got the appropriate bravery bonus. But three others were rewarded the Crimson Heart, and none of them got a bonus for it

Edit: This is a clean V1.53 install, new (not saved) game, no mods except map packs

Edited by dpelectric

Hi, first post here, I've been playing the game since June.

Installed normal (1.09 version), then changed to experimental branch. My savegames loaded just fine. Now, on v1.53, game crashes when I try to attack an alien base. Tried it in two different bases, tried it (game) months apart, same result.

I've attached a savegame file.

Thanks.

cont2.sav

cont2.sav

cont2.sav

Had another bug occur but sadly I can't reproduce it; after a ground mission I had "Alien Interrogation" show up as available even though I hadn't captured any live aliens. Or at least I don't have any <species> analysis research projects available, sadly I don't have a save at the end of the mission that would tell me whether or not the game thinks I captured a live alien or not.

Also, something feels screwy with the aiming system but I can't put my finger on it; heavy weapons in particular feel extremely inaccurate all of a sudden. Out of a burst of 10 shots I rarely have more than one or two connect, and I tend to get lots of "misses" that land in the target square without saying "miss". I have switched the difficulty up to "Insane" though, so I'm not sure if what's due to the new difficulty setting and what's due to the new version of the game!

Edited by Troublechuter

Thanks for the reports, guys. I've passed them on to Giovanni, including that crashing save provided by thick.

I'm not sure if there's an issue with the aiming system or not. I do remember thinking something similar last time I used a machinegun too...but it was quite a distant shot. Maybe I'll look into it.

The save file provided by thick is an interesting one. It crashes on my machine, but doesn't crash for Giovanni or on the other machine in the office.

Anyone else having trouble with it?

Just tried starting a mission at each of the three alien bases and they all loaded fine. Vanilla 1.53.

The save file provided by thick is an interesting one. It crashes on my machine, but doesn't crash for Giovanni or on the other machine in the office.

Anyone else having trouble with it?

Yes. I first encountered (and reported) this when I was using CE, and thereby switched back to the official version. Everything was fine, figured it was CE, until my most recent base assault when it happened again.

I've been trying to find a common thread to the crash, but it almost seems to be random. My only guess it that saving a game when en route to the base might have something to do with it