Human Enemies from Alien-Allied Nations

Cabals were included in the early design documents (and later discussed on the old forums), but Chris eventually decided against them, citing concerns about such treachery rendering the game too bleak.

Oh, that's unfortunate as it could had brought some extra flavour to the game (and I wouldn't mind the game being bleaker either), but I respect Chris' decision on this of course.

I always thought it was not so much as 'bleak' but as a game mechanic to enable us to turn the tide on infiltrated nations. You are always behind the curve, at the begining you can't see most of the world so your funding starts slipping immediantly. Finding a cabal and wiping this up could give a sudden, though partial, reprieve on a nation's x-com funding from the otherside of the globe. 75% infiltrated, you wipe out cabal and now they are 35% infiltrated. It could by you more time.

Call me a heathen but personally I never even liked the idea of nations making a pact with the aliens in the original game.. It seemed too ridiculous and jarring.

A nation enslaved or occupied by alien forces, sure. (which is where liberation missions would work nicely! - in fact you could have groups of surviving military forces in a sort of freedom-fighter role who would actually assist you in the liberation if you found them on the map or let them out of some kind of prison camp/cell or something)

A pact with? Nah. Just doesn't fly with me. You don't just suddenly go from being attacked and terrorized by aliens to happily turning against your entire race and planet.

A nation that was getting pounded on may well sign a non aggression pact with the enemy if they thought it would save them.

Especially if they had lost faith in the only organisation that they had believed could defend them.

What is the point in NOT signing up if you are already losing and have no option that could lead to any other result?

No one ever said they were happy with it, just that they had no alternative.

Edited by Gauddlike

How about a mission that has both enemy humans part of a "Alien controlled nation" MIXED with some very powerful aliens that make sure the human government (they control is secure).

ie: A White House mission where the objective is to have the minimum human casualties (set a maximum % roof for human casualties mission success), save the president and kill all those powerfull mind controlling aliens that are controlling the government.

If done correctly it would add so much to the game, like been able to fight in known important land marks like the Kremlin , Buckingham palace (god save the queen... i mean xenonauts save the queen :rolleyes:), etc.

Edited by Aelius

A pact with? Nah. Just doesn't fly with me. You don't just suddenly go from being attacked and terrorized by aliens to happily turning against your entire race and planet.

Happened all the time in history and would almost certainly happen again if were to be invaded by a superior extraterrestrial force (provided the aliens are even interested in any kind of diplomacy).

I don't see it as a stretch at all. You can look at several places in today's world where people are 'colaberating with the enemy'. Most people really aren't up for freedom fighting. The most obvious were Jew's worked with the Nazis in WW2. Today Palestines are working with Isreal, Iraq and Afganastan people are working with the US.