Xenonauts Kickstarter and Public Build

All I am pointing out is human nature.

I know, I just find that kind of, "if it's not on Steam I ain't playing it", type of superficiality frustrating. What makes it even more annoying is that it's not completely unjustified because someone might actually try to scam you. Not that the mainstream institutions are all that honest.

But if IGG is how it has to be then that's that, no point in annoying Chris with further pessimism. I guess that was my point.

All I can add is make very sure that the pitch doesn't come off as an evil moneygrab and jumping on the train of success. Anyway I don't think you guys will botch this, from your post it seems like you know what to do!

Just be very clear that there will be a game even if the kickstarter doesn't actually go through and that it's purpose is to add more funding that will allow you to put more stuff into the game. You also need to make plans for what to do if you go way over target, do you push the release up more to allow more time for development if you can afford that? Just give it some thought :)

Very important, allot of ppl will be hesitant especially since they have announced the official remake of x-com. Not the fps boondoggle. Emphasize the point that a game will come funding or no, but extra funding will make it knock our socks off!

I think the simple explanation that we're not US based would suffice - it's relatively well known that KS is limited to the US market. Still, we are still looking at ways to use KS if possible.

But you have projects like this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light which is a company based in china from what I've understood. Maybe they are US citizens though I guess but they do have it tagged as "A Video Games project in Shanghai, China by FTL Team"

But you have projects like this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light which is a company based in china from what I've understood. Maybe they are US citizens though I guess but they do have it tagged as "A Video Games project in Shanghai, China by FTL Team"

the project is listed as located in China but the user profile "FTL Team" lists the location Fremont CA, so it seems they have someone (maybe Matthew Davis.. that name sounds American to me) with a US citizenship and a Fremont adress.

I landed here via a google search for a demo (which is mentioned as inbound in post 1 of this thread)

The release of that alone should generate some pre-order income - at least from me! I've been aware of this game for ages and UFO is my favourite game of all time but too many games have promised to recreate it in the past for me to place a blind pre-order on another.

From what I've seen and read this one does look like it's going to meet those promises but I've been holding out to try it before I buy it.

Having played Civ V, I'm sure that if anyone can simplify X-COM and still leave it good, then Firaxis can. But there's plenty of room for a good, modern version of the original with all the old gameplay intact (such as action points!). And assuming I like this, I'll be pre-ordering it on Desura within hours of any demo release!

I've been watching this game, and I'm getting interested to help fund and well.. get a copy of the game and kill aliens.

I've been watching to much X-Com Let's Plays lately and I'm a bit addicted.

So I've been wondering, Should I preorder now? Or wait for the kickstarter? 20$ ain't all that bad, though of course I'd like to pay less. But for a game of this quality, 20$ is a steal I admit. I'm really wanting to try the "demo" first, but I'm worried game price might start hiking up (ala minecraft).

So, should I bit the bullet now, or wait for the kickstarter. Waiting for the kickstarter might mean a better chance of it getting funded? I dunno lol.

Mandabar

Shakes his wallet open and unchains the belt from it...

So, should I bit the bullet now, or wait for the kickstarter. Waiting for the kickstarter might mean a better chance of it getting funded? I dunno lol.

Like you said 20$ is pretty cheap for a game like this (imo at least) and I doubt KS will have a cheaper option but it might, I dunno. I'd advise waiting for KS if for no other reason than to increase its chances of reaching the funding goal.

I'd advise waiting for KS if for no other reason than to increase its chances of reaching the funding goal.

Although every cent used to buy the game now goes directly to the devs and into funding. ;) No, but Jean-Luc is right. I think it's still a long time until this game is going to be discounted, I suspect it might rather go up in price once it nears release. The lowest Kickstarter tier might be worth a shot, though. Maybe it's a little lower than 20 bucks, so I'd wait until that, if you have the patience.

Perhaps, I should Rephrase my questions a tiny bit.

I have 20$. I'm throwing it at you Chris. Should I throw it at you now, or wait till you get this nifty kickstarter thing going? I'm Assuming 20$ will get me in regardless if I do it now, or wait for the KS. I still remember when I took a pass on getting into minecraft when it was 10$.. and then it was 15$ five days later.. and then i kept passing on it till it hit 27$ish. Argh lol.

If I do the preorder now on desura.

A: I get in the alpha now

B: You get 100% (Or near enough as I can tell) of the funding

C: No if's about it getting funded.

D: Possibly no nifty rewards or something lolz

If I do the Kickstarter option.

A: I have to wait till it gets funded

B: If it gets funded I have to wait longer till i possibly get the key or whateveras to add to Desura (Steam when it goes gold).

C: You get 5% of fund to Amazon, and another 5% to KickStarter

D: It helps the KS get closer to 100% KS (which hopefully won't be much issue regardless), and that means you well actually get the money Pledged.

E: Possibly nifty rewards (that I'll be to cheap to spend the cash on em for anyways lol)

So. Eh. Chris, where shall I aim my money gun? ;-)

Edited by Mandabar

It's up to you entirely. The Kickstarter is in the works but does keep slipping so you may be waiting a while. The entry-level price for a pre-order in both cases is $20 though.

With Kickstarter we'll get about 92% of the funds after fees deduction, from Desura we get 85% if you click through the links on our pre-order page or 70% if you go direct with them. The difference isn't that major that I would hold it against you if you wanted to play the game now :)

It's up to you entirely. The Kickstarter is in the works but does keep slipping so you may be waiting a while. The entry-level price for a pre-order in both cases is $20 though.

With Kickstarter we'll get about 92% of the funds after fees deduction, from Desura we get 85% if you click through the links on our pre-order page or 70% if you go direct with them. The difference isn't that major that I would hold it against you if you wanted to play the game now :)

Man you have made this difficult. So you actually get more money from the game if I go with a Kickstarter rather then a right now preorder. Argghhh. Its only 7% though... (*Does some math*) 1.40$ less if I go the 85% Desura route. Glad you mentioned there's a difference between clicking the link on your site preorder page vs just direct thru Desura Site/Client. Had no idea there would be a difference (Its another 3$ less then the 85% option folks. KS 18.40 > XN DS 17 > Direct DS 14).

I really want to support this project. I did have a few concerns with missing Psionics/Blaster Bombs. And the ever escalating, always will be superior in the end aliens situation. But this project seems to have real heart and keen eye to staying truest to xcom. Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to play the XCOM EU from Firaxis. But there has been alot of core changes there, Some for the better. Some not.

Anyways, enough endless rambling from me. I'm going to go vote with my wallet now rather then my mouth. Thanks Chris for a reply, and freeing me from the guilt of preordering NOW rather then waiting for a Kickstarter to start and finish lol. Going to go purchase it now. Good Luck with the KS though!

Acknowledging that there are some price differences, which I wasn't aware of, (otherwise I may have double-checked that I followed the click-throughs properly), the only course of action I can suggest is...

Just buy it.

I know there are differences, but really... It's a playable game. It's going to be a great game. It will be better if you support it now. So just buy it.

Wow, Kickstarter sounds pretty cheap for a distributor. Is that factoring in download hosting for the builds, or is that separate?

15% commision from desura.....wow, are they in the credit card business too?

Desura (unlike kickstarter) is a distributer, they have to host downloads for games, advertise games, provide support, validate builds and stuff.

Kickstarter hosts a blog and a tracker that lets people use amazon to pay the blogger if enough people agree to pay him.

It's two completly seperate things with completly different workloads.

Steam does the same thing. For example I got Shogun 2 on Impulse but was able to use the key to activate and download the game on Steam even though that's quite a bit of bandwidth considering Valve didn't get any money from that transaction. Like TNR says, it's just a way to draw in users, both new and old.

Kickstarter is really where most of the money you want is. I have checked out Indigogo and most of the projects there are in the low thousands to 60k and that is not a whole lot. Its up to you but sometimes you got to take a risk in order to succeed.

15% commision from desura.....wow, are they in the credit card business too?

I don't see what is so shocking about that? 15% is very descent for the service they provide. I should show you the contract of a musician with Universal Music, or Warner... Desura's 15% is a present in comparison.

I don't see what is so shocking about that? 15% is very descent for the service they provide. I should show you the contract of a musician with Universal Music, or Warner... Desura's 15% is a present in comparison.

I bet it's the same. The musician gets 15%, right? :P

Its up to you but sometimes you got to take a risk in order to succeed.

What has KS's inability to process accounts from non-US citizens got to do with "risk"? It's like "I can't fit my head between these metal bars but I'm gonna take a risk and just do it anyway".

Though they may be a work around in this case, we'll see.