Caesans have buggy sight detection ?

silencer

Ok, it happened to me too many times, that there might be something fishy when Caesans are involved. I had a soldier in Sentinel armour up on the 3rd and 4th floor of a buidling or on UFO. There was no alien he could spot and since Sentinel armour gives 360 vision and aliens suppose to have same range as Xenonauts he should be able to spot anything before someone will shoot at him.

When it comes to Ceaseans it's not happening. My soldier was being shot from double the visual range AND from the ground. This comes to my conclusion that when there is PSI capable alien, all your soldiers must be constantly on squad sight vision, because those aliens can PSI attack "undetcted" soldier. Take for example this: in below screenshots, there were only few aliens inside the UFO and only 1 alien outside and it was miles away from the UFO. The result. Alien magically has visual on the soldier on the UFO, but I couldn't see him. This is just plain stupid. Even if aliens get every 10 turns any information about whereabouts of my troops just sniping out of the blue is too much - specially when aliens have 1 shot kill weapons.

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 17-45-47-62.jpg

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 17-46-07-01.jpg

Second example - an alien from the ground fires at the soldier on roof, not being spotted by anything. How is it possible? The red indicator is for alien standing somewhere else.

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 18-01-32-62.jpg

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 17-45-47-62.jpg

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 17-46-07-01.jpg

mpc-hc 2014-10-05 18-01-32-62.jpg

577e7d28b8e0b_mpc-hc2014-10-0517-45-47-6

577e7d28bdaad_mpc-hc2014-10-0517-46-07-0

577e7d28c6b77_mpc-hc2014-10-0518-01-32-6

Ok. This situation. Flying in Sentinel Armour. Being higher should give me + to sight depending on how up the unit is right? Then why the alien that is only visible fired at me as soon as I've spotted him? How he saw me further than he should? Please explain to me, maybe I don't understand some mechanics.

[ATTACH]5703[/ATTACH]

s6.sav

s6.sav

Not in XCE, so. Sight range bonus for high ground was removed with the LoS overhaul

This said, I've had many instances where aliens have fired on my soldiers without it being clear how they were able to see them to the point where I expect aliens to fire at me from outside of my soldier's LoS. I might keep a look out for a good example in case it's useful.

• 3 months later...
I always thought that Caesans have longer sight range than Xenonauts. Was I wrong?

I'm pretty sure there is more to it than that. Yesterday I had a lot of trouble disposing of a Caesan hiding on the third floor of a building because he kept shooting at my guys who could not see him no matter how far/close they were until I actually sent a guy to climb the stairs.

I've been having lots of trouble with Caesans being able to shoot well beyond my own guys' sight ranges, in broad daylight. I play ironman, but I have a save of the game from just after it happened 3 times. As in, I was shot at 3 times, from mostly different angles, in just the immediately previous alien turn.

This save is made using CE .31HF1, and I run FITH, all three of Kabill's map packs which ship with standard CE, and a few visual mods which probably won't affect compatability (Real Fighters, Military Colors, and Lore+ spring to mind)

[ATTACH]6060[/ATTACH]

Caesan Sight Range.sav

Caesan Sight Range.sav

I recently had a strange Caesan encounter again. In an alien base, a single Caesan managed to lodge himself in a crevice between two stasis pods, or something, and my soldiers literally could not see him to save their lives. In the end he alone killed like four soldiers because they all either got one-shot by reaction fire (even my predators ;_;) from a magically veiled tile or panicked right in front of him, so I couldn't finish him off even when he eventually got surrounded.

Fission Mailed.

Later I had a Caesan throw a grenade over a wall into my soldiers even though they were not even close to any alien's LOS. I suppose it could have been a blind guess based on from which direction I had been killing their dudes earlier, but it seemed like a long shot desperation move I wouldn't expect an AI to perform.