Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.30 HotFix 1

llunak

Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.30 HotFix 1 is now available!

This is an update to X:CE 0.30 that includes these fixes:

Changes summary:

• Include 0.30 tiles assets (0.30 release by mistake included out-of-date version).
  • Fix assets with uppercase in name to be found in mods if present.
  • When mod includes more variants for a prop, they will be also considered when randomly selecting one of them.

Installation:

If you have Xenonauts on Steam, just right-click the game and from the Betas tab select the Community branch. Steam will update (as soon as 0.30HF1 is uploaded to Steam).

To install manually, download X:CE 0.30HF1 from the downloads section, run the game, and install the downloaded file as a mod from the mod tools in the game launcher. Then exit the launcher, go to assets/mods/xce, and copy Xenonauts.exe (and other executables if you want them) to the top level folder of your game installation. Run the game again and verify the game version in the launcher is correct.

After that, it's strongly recommended that you install X:CE settings and X:CE balance (0.30HF1 reuses these mods from 0.30, as they have not changed), otherwise several important features will be disabled. This is automatic on Steam.

Further details:

See the X:CE 30 release announcement.

Edited by llunak

Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.30 HotFix 1 is now available!

To install manually, download X:CE 0.30HF1 from the downloads section, run the game, and install the downloaded file as a mod from the mod tools in the game launcher. Then exit the launcher, go to assets/mods/xce, and copy Xenonauts.exe (and other executables if you want them) to the top level folder of your game installation. Run the game again and verify the game version in the launcher is correct.

What exactly does top level folder of your game installation MEAN?

Any current mods not compatible with it perhaps?

Yep. xxGBE version 4 is not recognized as a mod while it was in version CE28.

Managed to get it to recognize it and DART Gun as mods but had to repack them in zip folder without the folders (dartgun) and (XXGBE). However they still do not work as they CTD when I try to look into the outfit manpower tab. Even though they were added I cannot make (mechanics) either the dart gun or the GBE device.

Edited by Larry Burstyn
report some progress on non compatible mods.

I am thrilled you decided to separate bug fixing from balance changes. Balancing a game is a tricky business and two persons rarely have the same opinion about how to do it. I was reluctant to try the CE patch but now I'm definitely giving it a try.

Just a silly question though : what does the settings mod do exactly ? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Honestly the easiest way of looking at it is to download the settings mod and take a look at the configuration. It basically enables many of the options that are listed as X:CE features but are possible to disable. That's stuff like cover indicators, new shortcut keys for screens in the base view, "airplane ready" notifications, and such.

The changes in xcebalance are also minor (it is not the goal of X:CE to do some major rebalances), such as slightly smarter air combat AI or shields providing cover, but these things do change the gameplay, if only a little, so they're separated out. As for the settings mod, I can't see why someone would want not to use it.

Honestly the easiest way of looking at it is to download the settings mod and take a look at the configuration. It basically enables many of the options that are listed as X:CE features but are possible to disable. That's stuff like cover indicators, new shortcut keys for screens in the base view, "airplane ready" notifications, and such.

The changes in xcebalance are also minor (it is not the goal of X:CE to do some major rebalances), such as slightly smarter air combat AI or shields providing cover, but these things do change the gameplay, if only a little, so they're separated out. As for the settings mod, I can't see why someone would want not to use it.

Even the balance changes can be seen mostly as fixes, as they either change things to be the way they're expected (shields [not] providing cover to soldiers behind the shield bearer) or avoid cheesy tactics ("slightly smarter air combat AI" is a bit of an understatement, given that the vanilla game has no air combat AI whatsoever).

So while there's the option to not install the mods, the recommended way is to install them both, as they provide for a better game.

Hey, I'm really new, and playes Xenonauts now already several times, and wanted to try the community edition as it seems to provide a lot of usefull stuff.

I'm owning the Steam version of the game, and changed to the community branch like in the op said.

When I try to start the game it just instantly crashes, telling me that the game would no longer work.

Anything I can try or show to get help?

Edit:

Ok although I changed in Steam to community branch, I had to install XCE as mod.

now it runs.

Edited by Alewx
solved

Does this CE:0.30HF1 require spesific version of Xenonauts? I did following steps:

Install clean install Xenonauts_V1.09 Humble store version <---problem?

Start Xenonauts, Select Modding tools, Install new mod, select xce.zip. mod succesfully installed. Exit launcher.

Browse to assets/mods/xce folder, select and copy Xenonauts.exe, go to main Xenonauts folder, overwrite previous one.

Start Xenonauts, Play Xenonauts.

Result is instant crash. Tried with two fresh installation and even downloaded CE:0.30HF1 two times.

Does this CE:0.30HF1 require spesific version of Xenonauts? I did following steps:

Install clean install Xenonauts_V1.09 Humble store version <---problem?

Start Xenonauts, Select Modding tools, Install new mod, select xce.zip. mod succesfully installed. Exit launcher.

Browse to assets/mods/xce folder, select and copy Xenonauts.exe, go to main Xenonauts folder, overwrite previous one.

Start Xenonauts, Play Xenonauts.

Result is instant crash. Tried with two fresh installation and even downloaded CE:0.30HF1 two times.

Out of wonder, how did you do a clean install? Might be different with non-Steam installations, but unless you actually delete the game entirely and download the whole thing from scratch, there could be remnants of the old install that are causing a problem.

Works for me. You are doing something incorrectly or the problem is specific to your setup.

Indeed yes. Using my secondary setup (Intel+ATI), Xenonauts 1.09 works but CE edition crashes. On primary setup (AMD+ATI) both work. So no Intel+CE then :(

Out of wonder, how did you do a clean install? Might be different with non-Steam installations, but unless you actually delete the game entirely and download the whole thing from scratch, there could be remnants of the old install that are causing a problem.

Unzip Xenonauts files to new folder, so nothing old remains. Problem seems to be on Intel based setup. I try different drivers next.

Thanks for help to both.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to get .lua scripts to load using the mod system now it's been fixed. I've been treating them as binaries as per the documentation and assuming that they would overwrite, but it doesn't seem to be working. Am I doing something wrong, or is this likely to be a bug (I can provide a mod for testing if needed).

Well, as I say, that's how I thought it should work and I've tried using exactly the same files by copy/pasting them and they work fine. So I guess it's a bug?

Also, turns out that the mod loading output doesn't seem to be working (or is pathing to somewhere else now).

Some feedback on some of the 0.30 changes:

- Might have just been my plane's speed (which affects UFO speed in air combat too; this should really get fixed) but I'm wondering whether the reduced roll distance on higher difficulties is affecting UFOs as well. Just double-hit a light scout with a staggered launch while usually only the second missile would hit.

- I think the new miss trajectories are nerfing suppression. Suppression is calculated from the tile of impact, which means that while previously missed shots would tend to hit the ground near the alien and still possibly cause suppression, now they're passing straight through and doing nothing. I can't be certain how much of a difference it is actually making, but suppression has felt more difficult to achieve with weapons fire in my current game than I remember it being (which is what prompted the thought).

EDIT: Yeah, just had a few instances in the last mission I played where suppression would have been guaranteed using the old system but with bullets failing to land near the target they're doing nothing.

Edited by kabill