iamkyon

XCOM Delayed

This just in: that other, more, uhm, "contemporary" game which pits humans versus extraterrestrial invaders has slipped past its expected release date of March 9, 2012 into Take-Two's next fiscal year. 2K Marin, the studio behind the project, allegedly laid off 15 developers a couple of weeks ago, so the delay wasn't entirely unexpected.

While I can't say I eagerly anticipate XCOM's release, the game's art direction and sound design have done enough to keep me vaguely interested. Also, I'm not fundamentally allergic to first-person shooters, and the studio already has one such game I enjoyed (BioShock 2) under their collective belt.

However, I was really looking forward to witnessing Xenonauts and XCOM go at it head-to-head, and as a result, Team Goldhawk gaining more traction by doing justice to the roots of the franchise. The chances of that happening just slimmed down considerably.

Bummer.

On a brighter note, at least we've won extra time to make converts out of the youth of today before they blow their pocket money on some cookie-cutter FPS with space aliens!

Edited by iamkyon
Fixed typo.

The concept of the XCOM FPS remake just hurts my souls when I read about it... Why would you make a game that was sololy a TBS game and make it a FPS, if your trying to reel in players via nostalgia they are barking up the wrong tree as I'm sure most of us stand on the xenonaust side of nostalgia=\

This could have just made an alien shooter game and given it a different name, its game just going to be a hollow shell with an IP name on it... -_-

I was on the fence when Fallout 3 came out, same story =\ TBS into a FPS, it was ok only because I was fan of the elder scroll series, but I was still upset, I would have liked the same old school TBS style.

This could have just made an alien shooter game and given it a different name, its game just going to be a hollow shell with an IP name on it... -_-

Considering that any Alien Shooter not titled "Halo" or "Gears of War" has a tendency to underperform financially, 2K Games probably needed some brand recognition. That's not to say I commend their decision.

Edited by iamkyon

The "new" X-Com is an utterly and disrespectful abomination that insults the X-Com name and drags it's X-Com "one of the best games EVER" awesomeness into the FPS mud that has taken over the game industry.

Just for that i hope that 2K Marin go bankrupt soon and that the guy/s that had the "brilliant" idea of making an FPS X-Com die an horrible death.

That is all

Considering that any Alien Shooter not titled "Halo" or "Gears of War" has a tendency to underperform financially, 2K Games probably needed some brand recognition. That's not to say I commend their decision.

I understand that there are marketing reasons for getting brand recognition, but like you I dont commend this decision of getting XCOM name, the game looks like it could be any other alien game really, the aliens aren't even the same, the tech isnt the same, or anything else for that matter. =\

Edited by Hoywolf

I understand that there are marketing reasons for getting brand recognition, but like you I dont commend this decision of getting XCOM name, the game looks like it could be any other alien game really, the aliens aren't even the same, the tech isnt the same, or anything else for that matter. =\

because the higher-ups are dumbass not knowing the gamers desires; the developer just follow their directives and names.

i'm still waiting X-Com: Genesis.

Don't support 2K's project--if that game is successful, it will spell even more bad news for the X-Com franchise.

The problem is that succeed or fail it's bad news for X-Com. If it succeeds then we can expect a bunch of equally asinine sequels. If it fails 2K will just shutter the studio and move on to the next shiny thing that catches its eye and X-Com will sink into total obscurity.

The "new" X-Com is an utterly and disrespectful abomination that insults the X-Com name and drags it's X-Com "one of the best games EVER" awesomeness into the FPS mud that has taken over the game industry.

Just for that i hope that 2K Marin go bankrupt soon and that the guy/s that had the "brilliant" idea of making an FPS X-Com die an horrible death.

That is all

It's not as if bad games haven't been made with the name "X-COM" before. I'm referring to X-COM Enforcer and Intercepter, but personally I didn't enjoy Terror from the Deep either. Terror was just a palette swap of the first game, made harder, and full of bugs.

X-Com alliance was suppose to be a 1st person shooter, enforcer was a 3rd person shooter.

Genesis was the standard turn based/real time tactical shooter.

Yeah I dislike there just using the name to get the people to buy, and would have been better if they had put some type of subtitle, and made it a spin off.

Kinda like Command & Conquer: Generals (having nothing to do with the C&C lore)

Which went like this

Red Alert

C&C

C&C TS

C&C TW

And the branched timeline which led to

Red Alert 2

Red Alert 3,, and at some point it should tie back into the main C&C story line. (OH WAIT, forgot this is EA, screw good lore, just make games that ignore establish storylines)

The only way I can think 2K can get away with this, if they somehow make this a prequel, setting the grounds for a x-com organization. Just saying if they did that, they could gain some cred back. It isn't great but it would be a way to save face.

To be honest, I dislike what they did. I hope it fails, but either way it doesn't matter. Those who played the original, and who really loved that will love those who make games they enjoy, ala Xenonauts. If XCOM is shite, then that's fine.

Everyone who is anyone on this matter will know that it is not X-COM, and if this means indie games that stay closer to their roots get more attention, that's a win right there

The only way I can think 2K can get away with this, if they somehow make this a prequel, setting the grounds for a x-com organization. Just saying if they did that, they could gain some cred back. It isn't great but it would be a way to save face.

It can't possibly be that, because nothing is the same as in the original X-COM. And if you get energy weapons (as seem to be the case in that game) then why do X-COM in the near future (EU) have to start off with just balistic rifles?

Edited by anotherdevil
Point to make

Its all a bit odd. XCOM really is meant to be a prequel apparently (from one of the terrible interview blogs with one of the dev members).

Makes no sense though.

Ideally we'll come out first. Then every major review will say: "Hey, fanboys, if you want an original X-com game, go play Xenonauts. I'm reviewing this on its merits as an FPS." And that'll be a LOT of publicity.

I read this news on this article - http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/08/xcom-delayed-to-at-least-april/

It has two links in it that made me laugh. The twitter one was particularly amusing.

That is all

^^THIS^^

This is one of those games that if forced to play, you would not be able to stay awake for more than 2 minutes. The new Xcom -fps is one large steaming pile of .......... They need shooting for this.

2k Marin/Irrational games screwed over an existing franchise then their own with no idea with what they are doing in terms of game design, story and pacing. All hype no substance is their games, I have personal experience with a couple of devs when they put a good franchise into the ground for poor game design the poured concrete over the grave with their weak excuses.

I always love Aelius' frankness in his comments. Best chuckle I've had all day.

That twitter link was just confusing. But then the entire pile of wordy garbage surrounding XCOM has been confusing (or flat out contradictory).

I might actually play XCOM except for one thing: It's made by the/a Bioshock team. I've played both, and they both had the most tedious, clumsy FPS combat I've ever played. I've never been so bored and annoyed playing an FPS in my life, to the point I couldn't ignore it for the 'great story'. Even MW2 was more amusing, and it had enemies that respawn constantly till you got to the end of a set!

Got Killzone 2 instead. Never regretted it :D

I always love Aelius' frankness in his comments. Best chuckle I've had all day.

That particular post alone warrants the thread!

If you watch the E3 play through of X-COM you can hear the dev talk about "how this is like the original X-COM," "how they love to franchise," and blah blah blah.

Firstly the game is nothing like original X-COM... its not even the same gameplay type... >_> Its just really sad to hear them talk about the game as if they loved it and respect but you get that feel that they really dont...

I remember when I first heard of the new 'XCOM',

Upon hearing it: New X-com? Holy @!&%! Wheeee!

Upon hearing its a FPS: ...what?

Upon seeing the earily videos: *sob*

Upon seeing some of the newer videos: *a-little-less-sob*

I liked some of the changes they said they would make, with the addition of the team building and the wandering around base.

Judging by the comments here, I'm one of the very, very few that might pick it up and enjoy it. To do that, however, I have to forget about any links to the old X-com, and just focas on the fact that I enjoyed the studio's prior work. I can only do that because I have viable options for a new x-com fix.

Basically, because I know Xenonauts is a-coming, I can weep less and maybe even find enjoyment in 2K's work.

Of course, it might just be a bad game, independant of its connection (or lack there of) to x-com.

I remember when I first heard of the new 'XCOM',

Upon hearing it: New X-com? Holy @!&%! Wheeee!

Upon hearing its a FPS: ...what?

Upon seeing the earily videos: *sob*

Upon seeing some of the newer videos: *a-little-less-sob*

I liked some of the changes they said they would make, with the addition of the team building and the wandering around base.

Judging by the comments here, I'm one of the very, very few that might pick it up and enjoy it. To do that, however, I have to forget about any links to the old X-com, and just focas on the fact that I enjoyed the studio's prior work. I can only do that because I have viable options for a new x-com fix.

Basically, because I know Xenonauts is a-coming, I can weep less and maybe even find enjoyment in 2K's work.

Of course, it might just be a bad game, independant of its connection (or lack there of) to x-com.

I would be cool with any FPS that they chose to make, but NOT by using the X-Com name.

Lets say that i acquire the "Tetris" franchise, will i make a FPS and name it "Tetris"?! Just because it was one of the most known names in the game industry of all time?! HELL NO...WHY?! pro tip: BECAUSE I'M NOT STUPID.

This remembers me the movie industry. Acquire a great name and deliver an awful movie sequel... like "Aliens 3".... wait... didn't they killed all the xenomorphs in "Aliens 2"?! No fucking problem just magically (yes "magically" because the queen left the fucking egg sack at the planet to go after Ripley) insert 2 alien eggs inside the Sulaco and we are in business, lets make an Aliens movie.

2K Morons, i mean Marin, just did the same... "We have this old balls sack name franchise that we heard was voted top game of all times, instead of gathering dust, lets make a aliens FPS and name it... what was the name again?!

- It's X-Com boss

- Yeah that shit. lets name it X-Com

- But boss, X-com was a TBS.

- Thats what i said you deep shit a FPS."

Barring the profanity, it seems that about what happened.

They were making some shooter with aliens in it, and slapped the X-com name on it for...some damn reason. I assume they're regretting it now.

Barring the profanity, it seems that about what happened.

They were making some shooter with aliens in it, and slapped the X-com name on it for...some damn reason. I assume they're regretting it now.

Yeah, sorry about the profanity, but one of the things that REALLY gets into my nerves is blatant stupidity, specially when they think they are smart. I just can't contain myself in this case. Sorry again.

Hey thats a great idea.

"In a world of blocks,, ' WE HAVE TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE' shapes falling every which way ' OH MY GOD HERE COMES A L SHAPE, ITS TURNING, ITS TURNING' and then the long straight piece comes ' WERE TO DEEP, ITS GOING TO ERASE US ALL, CLIMB, CLIMB'

Coming December 21st, 2012, from the creative studio that is EA and from the player friendly studio that is UBISOFT,

Tetris

Edit:

As to the Aliens comment, you could easily be argued that not the entire Aliens species was on that one planet, and I am not trying to defend Aliens 3, God what an aweful movie. When I see the Aliens Anthology pack, I go "So, I'm paying $100 for 2 movies thats weird, oh hey whats this third one. I'll just pop it in and see what happens."

30 minutes later

"Mr. Redunion there is more in life to live for, please come down from the roof top."

The problem with the Aliens series is that after 2 they should have left Ripley, the should have gone to other characters and expanded the lore surrounding the Aliens and not.

Aliens 3: An attempt at recapturing the original films feel, but totally blowing it by being to action oriented and terrible story direction.

Aliens 4: An attempt at recapturing the second films feel, but totally blowing it again by having terrible story flow, terrible aliens, and of course the weird one at the end of th film. With all that said this was still some how better that 3.

Edited by redunion1940

At the risk of sounding redundant... Im sure we all agree, "Xcom" is just our X-Com in name only.

A total bastardization of the franchise.

Will "Xcom" be a good game? Who knows. It has some interesting features/gameplay.

Will I be buying it. Absolutely not... 1)On principle... they did "that" to one of my favorite franchises... 2)I personally think it looks kind of meh.

Hopefully with the help of this community, we can help spread the word about the true successor and Xenonauts will make a killing...maybe even surpass "Xcom". :D

/end rant