[Suggestions] Energy\stamina - old X-com system ...

Game_tester

Add Energy\stamina - old X-com system ...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Add Energy\stamina - old X-com system ...

• Yes !
    • No, leave as is...
    • Also add stamina down from hit, as in ja2 !

Well, I'm gonna add to this and say no. I might as well use the poll but...

Jagged Alliance 2 has a completely different approach. You track a team of mercenaries through months of guerilla struggle. Energy is stored and mercenaries without sleep will suffer from severely decreased combat performance. It also meant that taking hits wasn't just about reducing health until someone died but any hit from any gun would potentially take a guy out of the action. The scale was completely different and so was the concept of fighting redshirts as opposed to battling plasma wielding freak aliens. Energy / breath makes sense in JA2. The characters are all way more fleshy and replacement isn't as easy. There are no airplanes, not really. No base. But even at that level you can see how some mods are way more complex than the game demands.

In the original X-Com, energy wasn't as fleshed out as it is in JA2. So I didn't quite remember it as a positive feature. The fights in Xenonauts are usually faster with less suppression fire and cover. The mechanics are generally simplified to allow for a cleaner feel. It's moddable but I'd ask for a reason before asking for feasibility. It's a bit like adding complex bullet wound simulation when the cover system and the shooting aren't even close to realism.

Every bit of extra management needs to be justified. Energy creates a more static environment adding bonus to defense more than now which is not a good tweak. It hampers with scouting which would be annoying given that I often send the fastest guys around to look for the remaining buggers. Energy drain on hit means that if I manage to survive, I won't be able to retaliate. Given the small team size which is WAY WAY smaller than possible in Jagged Alliance 2, I wouldn't want a third of my team to get pinned down just because a guy got hit. Especially since, as opposed to JA2 gameplay, I cannot use tactics such as massive suppression and flanking to bail out the wounded.

TL;DR: No.