Alien fear aura?

Xenonaut

Why do they seems unaffected by my success in battle? Given the early aliens were clones that were taken over by a single alien mind so death means nothing to them or to each other, but that alien overlord must surely feel some sense of dismay?

I had a base defense action just now. Lucky for me my battle hardened veterans were at home at the time and they proceed to trap the aliens in and pick them off one by one. There is only the caesan leader left to deal with. I know where he is approximately so I have him surrounded. During the alien turn, the caesan rounded a corner of a guard point and ran out of TUs. I thought to myself, "Nice, now we can end this". The next turn, the full morale soldier who stood guard at the guard point completely panicked, dropped his weapon and ran off...

Is there some sort of alien proximity or fear aura that i am not aware of?

Pride, numbers and superiority. THe alien overlord does not expect himself to be defeated that easily when his race has conquered the alien races easily. It's only a matter of time that he wears out the opposition before taking over the planet, considering that there are thousands of UFOs floating above, and that is just a fraction of the real alien fleet. And even with human innovation with reverse engineering, compared to at most a few hundred MAG rifles, the aliens arsenal is almost limitless should the aliens decide to destroy the human race through annihilation.

And I did not mention the Reaper solution yet. We should fear them more than us.

A caesan officer or above should have mind altering capabilities like their psions, that's whats most dangerous about them. When they have sight of your soldiers, their mind control attacks will kick in, and tell that poor unfortunate soldier that he killed his mother.

As a side note, it can look as if a solider with a full bravery bar suddenly and inexplicably suffers a morale event because if a solider looses sufficent morale in a turn and triggers a morale event, that solider will get a massive boost to their morale bar, often filling it back up to the top. Additionally, Caesan leaders and officers have psychic powers which will induce morale events regardless of the morale bar.