Sign in to follow this  
Dranak

Dranak plays Insane Ironman

Hey all, I apparently forgot to post this a while ago when I started up. But anywho, I'm running an insane ironman game of vanilla that's currently about two months in. I modded base assaults, terror missions, and base assaults to appear on shorter delays and will probably add in a map pack at some point. Check it out if you're interested, the links are in my sig and I'm always looking for more volunteers to die horribly.

Episode 1:

[video=youtube;IUF4gDmx1LY]

And part 2, because I am bad at recording:

Edited by Dranak

I volunteer for the slaughter!!

i live in the Straya!

also, i loves me some explosives, everything needs some more BOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!

Latest episode posted, where things go well right up until the point they don't and a new champion arises.

[video=youtube;qAQNCFfLBFo]

Edit: Well what the hell? For some reason my commentary isn't in here. Looks like OBS decided to disable my mic between sessions. Grr.

Edited by Dranak

Taking four privates on a Corvette assault? What could possibly go wrong?

[video=youtube;LrQ4kWgtDrs]

Ooh, kill me! KILL ME! You know you want to. If it makes any difference I'm a pretty good shot IRL, so I'd serve you best with an M16 or DMR(Designated marksman rifle).

I'll add you into the next round of recruits.

Next episode is up. Time for training on a Scout mission.

[video=youtube_share;TqTxcA-_Pfs]

Well after watching your night terror mission I must say I'm a little nervous volunteering for duty lol. Since you did accomplish your primary goal though (getting Chris killed; extra points for Max too) I guess I'll step up for certain death

I should have instantly aborted that mission when I saw it was night. That was the practical move, but it would also be less entertaining to watch.

Well, maybe, but that's what makes your Let's Play worth watching, and sets it apart from all the rest. Who else has the balls to even attempt a night terror mission on ironman impossible??? :cool:

I've been super busy IRL. I'm on trip out of town 2 of 3 for the two week span. I might be able to fit in a stream on Friday but it may well be Tuesday before I get in another session. Next week I should be back to normalish.

So that conversation we just had about the practicality of aborting nocturnal terror missions?

[video=youtube_share;7LCKXVrAnJI]

Here we go again.

Best moment, of course, was your rocket man attempting an angled shot through a doorway and blowing himself to bits :)

Dude I gotta give you credit for trying another night terror mission!!! Can't wait to see if you survive

I always find it intriguing to watch other people play. I'll watch a not-so-good move you make and think "what in the world is he doing?" But then you'll make some smart move that I might not have thought of, and nod my head in appreciation.

I'm in an insane playthrough right now too, only "self-enforced" ironman. After playing 2/3 of a game previously, only to have the save file corrupt and lose everything, I won't risk that kind of frustration again. Here's hoping you don't have any such issue

- Lol TWO plasma rockets in that seb's face didn't drop him

- I couldn't understand you shooting at the reaper and the zombie on the second floor, when they were just running around in circles. I would've thought you'd concentrate your firepower on the two first-floor sebs who were steadily killing your guys

- Speaking of firepower, your choice of putting your guys in wolf and buzzard before giving them lasers is interesting. I always opt for weapons first; to me, armor is unimportant if the aliens are dead

- I sure wouldn't want to be under your command. Five guys dead, and you're like oh well, who cares, at least I got all my equipment back haha

- Bro you gotta get a better computer. I'm sure you're spending every spare dollar on your family, and for that I salute you, but jeez I only have a very basic three-year-old Gateway laptop, and it looks like a Lamborghini compared to yours

I did go weapons first initially, but after I lost all them the idea was that I would finish making all new laser weapons just in time to unlock plasma and start all over where if I went for armor first that would last longer and I would be able to skip straight to plasma weapons. Basically I gambled a bit to try to squeeze out some economic efficiency. The biggest downside to that play is that sebs pretty much laugh in the face of a strategy that relies on suppression and chipping damage with their silly regen.

I was shooting at the reaper mostly because I didn't really have decent shots at the sebs, and I knew I could at least wear it down with chip damage. Honestly by that point I had pretty much conceded that I didn't really have enough damage output to reliably kill the sebs fast enough.

In the big picture, I can afford to replace inexperienced troops a lot more than I could afford to replace their gear.

Streaming tanks my performance. I can record and play fine, but adding the stream on top adds almost 50% to my alien turn times so I'm going to try doing an episode or two offline of just recording and uploading and seeing how that goes. I just bought a 3DS for myself so there's pretty much no chance of me getting a newer computer in the immediate future.

- I didn't know streaming would affect performance like that. Makes sense

- Yes, in the long run your strategy is sound; inexperienced soldiers are easier to replace than gear. I still wouldn't want to serve under you in real life, though. "Sergeant, dpelectric just took plasma in the face. Strip him naked and kick his corpse in a ditch".

- Seriously, though, I'm about at the same point in my playthrough as you, and it's intruiging to watch your gamble on better armor and trying to (mostly) skip lasers. I'm running around with lasers and everybody in Jackal, and I'm pretty sure my fatalities are lower than yours right now, plus I have considerably more officers. However, when you doubtless employ plasma before I do, and you already have stronger armor, your capacity to face high-level aliens in going to leap past mine and my memorial may wind up being longer than yours. It'll be interesting to see what happens

Yeah, skipping to plasma is increasingly feeling like a bit of a gamble. I was feeling much better about it before the second terror mission, that extra couple hundred K I lost is really going to be a considerable speed bump in my goal to rush out plasmas with next month's funding.

I tend to go for better armor first, too, at least until I get a Wolf for every soldier. The thought behind it is that if I can avoid a soldier's death for at least one turn, that's an extra turn of firepower for my side.

I also rush weapon developement at least up to plasma, so I don't usually upgrade all of my soldiers to laser, and when I get to plasma I think about my chances of getting to MAG before a full upgrade. I'm a really cheap leader, so working with limited funds makes me take some measures like those.

Episode 12 is up: Time to reap the rewards of a month of bad funding

[video=youtube_share;tMOLZhj9g48]

It's always interesting to watch somebody else's approach. You're much more aggressive than me, and take what are, to me, some crazy risks. When you were storming the landing ship, for example, you initially opened the door with only two guys in position; I never do until my whole team is ready to fire. Then you moved into the ship again with just two soldiers, followed by sending a guy charging upstairs solo (and when he got gunned down there was nobody in place to exact revenge). You seem to be really pushing the pace...?

Your troops are now somewhat better equipped than mine (I don't have emp grenades or any wolf armor yet, and only one plasma weapon). You're doing better than me in that regard, but my squad is all captains, majors and commanders, with much higher aim and TUs. So, at the moment I'm still glad I went for lasers and jackal, but I'm quite curious to see what happens when the really tough enemies begin to appear, and your investment in wolf/buzzard/plasma starts to (hopefully) pay off.

You're a sniper (commander) in my game too. I named all my starting soldiers after forum members this time around, but every one of them has been slaughtered except you and Gijs-jan. You're somewhat safe as a sniper, but GJ, he's a beast, he's in the middle of every firefight, has been wounded umpteen times, and is truly a one-man army. It's almost like the AI knows its creator and doesn't want to finish him off

A lot of those aggresive-ish moves are made because they are actually generally safe. Premature door entering has only really ever been punished once. I do sometimes do some crazy aggressive/all in things though.