Have there been any changes in the Steam uploads in the past 2 days?

Xeryx

Here is my issue.

No aliens or their equipment on any mission. Mission completes when next turn button is clicked and there are only alenium and alloy at end of mission.

This issue just showed up last night, and is persistent today.

I have no mods installed other than CE .28, freshly installed from Steam. I have verified cache integrity many times.

V.1.09 works fine.

Changing to CE .28 breaks the game. Tested with all new restarted games.

I am not very happy right now, because I cannot figure out the issue. I am in the middle of making a mod and it is pretty hard to do, when I cannot test missions.

Should I do a manual install of CE.28 or what? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

BTW everything worked fine early yesterday. I am wondering if something is corrupted or changed on Steams end?

Edited by Xeryx

I can only suggest deleting the entire Xenonauts installation and redownloading from Steam. That will remove any extra files that might have appeared somehow (verifying cache integrity does not do that). Other than that, it's very hard to provide a useful guess - I have not uploaded anything to the community branch since the 31st of August.

Ok there is definitely an issue. I have 2 .28 ce files. The newer one I just downloaded from this site. It did not work, and another one I downloaded a couple of weeks ago.

I tried both versions, and only the older one works. I hope this is only an anomaly on my computer, but the only files that were changed were XCE files in the XCE directory, no cache files or anything else. The sizes are also slightly different? This is very strange indeed if the file I just downloaded was uploaded August 31st.

I am thinking steam updated my files, and this is why this just happened last night.

I can send you the zipped files if you like

Edited by Xeryx

Maybe you somehow managed to mix up the executables when messing around with the manual install, and it doesn't actually launch the X:CE executable from Steam?

Could be interesting to see the zip. In principle though, if you download from Steam, there is no need to download xce manually from here. Oh, and renaming xce.zip to any other name would cause problems in the current builds.

I'm having a similar issue except I don't seem to have any .exe file. Steam cant find it and its not in the folder. Verifying the game cache (which seemed to take longer than it should) claimed that there was one file that couldn't be verified. However steam now seems to be stuck downloading the file again and again.

Steam version is not installing the .exe files at all, that I can confirm. I reinstalled the game 2x from scratch, and they were not in my install. Only the Downloaded versions I got from this site had them.

However, that still was not the issue that was causing my game to not have ZERO aliens on missions.

Like I said prior, using an older version I downloaded from this site seemed to fix a problem. The date I installed it on my computer was 8/27/2014. I would check the most current version's changes.

BTW, I am a very experienced modder, I am new to this game but I have done quite a bit of modding to many games.

Edit:

I compared the two zip files, and there are definitely differences...especially in the UFOCONTENTS directory. Almost all of files are much bigger, could this be the issue that is causing my problems with no aliens at all being deployed???

The .exe (editors too) are different sizes as well, is it possible the wrong exe was packaged with the download?

The files that do work on my new install are from 8/19..that is when the zip was created.

Maybe, others should do some clean installs on their computers! Then we would be able to find out for sure. Because Steam doesn't always update stuff right away. Maybe there is a missing file somewhere that is needed to make the latest version work right.

I'm getting tired of fracking, with this game's buggy issues. This is out of my scope of duty as a modder.

Edited by Xeryx

I can confirm that there is something wrong with the Steam version of the community edition. It gets to 75% or 90% download, fails, and then falls back to "update queued". Attempting to resume or play will just cause it to attempt the update again so it can fail. I tried verifying game cache integrity, I tried removing it and downloading it from scratch, attempted changing download locations, but it always fails to download the 15.1 mB required to turn 1.09 into the CE version.

It is supposed to be overwritten. As in, the root of the download that contains the .exe is to be merged with the root of the Xenonauts folder, replacing the executable and merging the /assets/ folders together, rather than having a separate /XCE/ folder.

Edited by Razoric480
Typo

It is supposed to be overwritten. As in, the root of the download that contains the .exe is to be merged with the root of the Xenonauts folder, replacing the executable and merging the /assets/ folders together, rather than having a separate /XCE/ folder.

This is not how Steam was installing, it was treating XCE as a MOD. There has been a separate XCE directory, and Settings directory installed in the mods folder.

I wasn't sure about the exe's because there could have been a bat file or something. Just wanted to clarify first.

I was able to get the newest version to work, my moving the files to where they needed to be. so they could overwrite files, in the root assets folder. Then move the .exes to the Xenonauts folder.

#1, there needs to be a readme, in the Downloadable version XCE so that people can make sure it is installed correctly. This needs to change, incase Steam fails again.

#2, Steam hasn't been installing these files correctly, if it is supposed to be installed/merged with the root assets, not as a mod.

Edited by Xeryx

The downloadable version and Steam version are the same, except that the Steam version skips a manual step. In the downloadable version, you need to manually move or copy the Xenonauts.exe file from mods/xce to the top level. On Steam, this is already done. That is literally how the Steam build is created - the downloadable X:CE archive is applied, the exe moved, then all of that gets sent to Steam.

Given that I know for a fact numerous people have been successfully using 0.28 off the community branch in Steam, I have a hard time seeing what could have gone wrong (though something weird was up with Steam yesterday, it took me some 20 minutes to log into the management interface).

I'll be redownloading the game in about an hour to see how it looks for me.

The community steam branch is supposed to work as it is, without any manual changes or overwriting.

All I can say, is it was NOT working for me, when Steam downloaded it on my computer, with a clean install and NO MODS installed other than XCE, XCE settings. There were no ALIENS on any mission I ran with a NEW game..

I saw kabill reported a problem with .27 from steam a while back where Steam was installing the XCE as a MOD. That is exactly what Steam was doing prior to my problems. Is that what it is supposed to do?

I have manually installed the files, into the main game, and all seems to be working, except for.

I am having an issue with my weapons-gc file still. I even made a new one from the .28 install (to ensure my file wasn't corrupted), and my setting are not completely taking. Mainly my ammo changes and TU's maybe more.

Here is the issue. If I check the soldiers inventory it shows my ammo changes. However if I reload the weapon and it shows the proper ammo amount in the inventory screen, when I switch to the main screen it shows the default weapons ammo amount. My values in the weapons file are also being seen on the base inventory screen.

I read the adding weapons post and edited my files accordingly. I changed the weapons and weapons_gc files, but on the main soldier display, it is using the values of the root directory weapons-gc. I know this, because if I overwrite the weapons_gc file in the root assets, my mod changes work fine.

I am only using notepad ++ as an editor, and I am only changing existing values, not adding any weapons.

What am I missing?? Can I force my mod file to be used, somehow? I used the mod installer and I have no other mods that can affect weapons.

Other files seem to load fine. I have edited quite a few.

UPDATE: I managed to play for a little bit today, and I noticed a drastic difference in gameplay smoothness. Hopefully, all my issues are resolved. Thank you for the help, but I can't help feel like my issues were dismissed rather easily.

Edited by Xeryx