Female Soldiers

Ack! Spoilers!

Nevertheless, I like where you're going on this one. Please do continue, as it's always nice to have options.

I believe the bulkiness of the armour may reflect that nanoscaling hasn't really caught on in 1979, and of course it provides:

- padding

- extra layers of armour (given what little insight the scientists have got, they can just about just stick one layer on top of another)

- assisted motion (punch through walls, evenly matched against tougher aliens, etc.)

- room for equipment.

My reason to have female soldiers are simple; I am going to spend hours with this game and I have to "play with guys"? I prefer to rest my eyes on a female face (body) when I can - simple as that.

thus my saying, female soldiers is uber-rare. for people like you to drool over... and scientists-worker to fallover, thus able to make their armors to fit females.

R

Another thought..

what if Goldhawk wanted to attract females to play xenonauts game... They would design either amazon style warriors or chippendale style warriors...

Now that is one toughest challenge for goldhawk... is this sexism or is this game?

R

couldn't we just get female portraits? I mean with all the armor covering them up, you won't really see a difference between the girls and guys. Our suspencion of disbelief is already there with the skin color, so why not the gender?

I Agree!

This would probably be the easiest, I mean all the soldiers are white when deployed. So who is to say they are not women? Just Change some of their Screams when they Die. :D

Would there be any way to make the portraits change as well, like in Wolfenstein? The more Damage they take, the worse their portrait looks! But I suppose with say 50 different portraits, then 5 different looks One including Death (with comical X's for the eyes)

would be alot of work.

I have started with the easiest - female portraits.

Here are a few I made yesterday:

1.jpg

From Left; German Paratrooper, Belgium Paratrooper (1 esr para-codo), Belgium Paratrooper (2 Bn. Para-Codo), 75e Rangers (US), Spetznatz (Russia) and Air Assult paratroopers (Russia).

--O--

1.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.e9e9e975d11ba79f88eb9d9cc2bb

Edited by oracle1990
Added explanation to berrets.

where did you get the sprites from?

I didn't get any choice other than install the game on my C-drive. So I guess you will find the sprites on the same location:

C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts\soldierimages\ - there you will find: armour.basic, armour.buzzard, armour.colossus, armour.jackal, armour.predator, armour.sentinel, armour.wolf, faces and hands.

All you need to replace the graphics in the soldier menu at the base.

(Note: If you use 64-bit windows the directory-structure wil be C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\soldierimages\ )

--O--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506[/ATTACH]

From Left; German Paratrooper, Belgium Paratrooper (1 esr para-codo), Belgium Paratrooper (2 Bn. Para-Codo), 75e Rangers (US), Spetznatz (Russia) and Air Assult paratroopers (Russia).

--O--

This might just be a personal prference.. but tone down the makeup on the middle 2 portraits. they look overdone. It kinda makes me wonder if they arent prostitutes or something. I'm not sure why someone would wear that heavy makeup as a grunt in a military organisation.

Edited by Gorlom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506[/ATTACH]

--O--

That is really nice work, and i do agree also that the make up is a little on the strong side, but the faces overall are nicely done.

Awesome work

Hello,

the makeup gals. I say leave keep it... this makes me recall MASH tv program... i forgot her name; the nurse that likes to bleach her hair. That is how I thought upon seeing the make-up gal portraits.

R

I thought the only one wearing makeup in M.A.S.H was that guy trying to get out of the army by dressing up as a chick. What's his name? Klinger?

Hello,

yes the guy that is trying to get out of the army using whatever regulations (and clothes too). I think it was Corporal Klinger.

but the portrait work by Oracle does not make me think of this guy.... it was that nurse.

I thought that nurse wore makeup too. can't remember that actor name. oh well..

R

Hello,

yes the guy that is trying to get out of the army using whatever regulations (and clothes too). I think it was Corporal Klinger.

but the portrait work by Oracle does not make me think of this guy.... it was that nurse.

I thought that nurse wore makeup too. can't remember that actor name. oh well..

R

You are thinking about Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan (Loretta Swit) -"Head nurse".

margaret-houlihan.jpg

Just for the record:

Corporal Maxwell Q. Klinger (Jamie Farr)

Klinger-m-a-s-h-14058155-720-480.jpg

--O--

Klinger-m-a-s-h-14058155-720-480.jpg

margaret-houlihan.jpg

Klinger-m-a-s-h-14058155-720-480.jpg.571

margaret-houlihan.jpg.15c870753ad1c11025

Hmm I don't think it was just the makeup that was too much.

Don't get me wrong they look a heck of a lot better than I could dream of doing, but the lips look like they have been treated with a few gallons of botox and some of them look like they are doing that weird facebook/myspace "duck lips" thing.

All personal taste of course but I guess I prefer a more natural look.

You are thinking about Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan (Loretta Swit) -"Head nurse".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514[/ATTACH]

Just for the record:

Corporal Maxwell Q. Klinger (Jamie Farr)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513[/ATTACH]

--O--

While she is obviously wearing makeup she's not wearing as heavy makeup as the portraits I reacted to. Oracle I think you should take it easy with the eyeshadow and the lipgloss. No real point in haveing them revelal their locations by reflecting light off their lips =P

Why isn't any of them wearing cammo makeup? :P

If you prefer you can always replace the face's with photo of real people. Here are a few I collected today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519[/ATTACH]

--O--

Can't make them fit the paper doll =)

Edited by Gorlom

It should have been live feed in the portrait (in the bottom view when you are in ground combat). Then the pictures could look like this:

[video=youtube_share;kvjZsJJorhs]

Note: This is just a preview - it is not rendered!

If so I could understand the notes about too mutch makeup. As long as the portrait is a still image, I assume the picture is from a ID picture; Correct me if I am wrong, but most people try their best to look as nice as possible on a ID picture.

But all input are welcome - no offence taken.

--O--

(I got quite a few comments when I first published my early idea/alpha version of "The Legion of Super Heroes") - guess why...)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

01.jpg.ca957e34792e3263e3a3a0d6d596aeab.

02.jpg.217c9f853e0f15bb32774c5d6babd4f6.

03.jpg.03e8db4f2b551ae4621dc24e8e061e76.

04.jpg.885cc8263d6fd198c10e82f4c6ab4980.

05.thumb.jpg.32b9a441f7dee9b08c85b93eb08