Very Basic Issue Loading X:CE 0.26/0.27

Steves

I'm using Windows 7. I had loaded X:CE 0.26 (and settings mod) a couple weeks ago into my existing game using the mods menu in the loader. It was working fine with no issues. Wonderful!

I decided to try out 0.27. Now I can't get either 0.26 or 0.27 to work. I know it must be something I'm doing wrong.

I have started with a brand new image of the 1.09 game several times. The new image comes up and plays just fine. So I load the X:CE mod. I see the new xce directory in the mods directory. I quit the loader and move the xenonauts.exe up to the top directory and replace the original. I run the loader and see that the new X:CE version (either 0.26 or 0.27, I have tried both) is listed at the top of the loader screen. Then I click play. After a short bit, before any visual game image or music shows up, it quits to the desktop with the message "Xenonauts.exe has stopped working".

I figure this is just something I'm doing wrong but now I can't play using X:CE and I'm really bummed.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. BTW, I did try turning off my anti-virus but never had issues with this before.

Edited by Steves