Properly installing Community Edition?

fisheye

Hello.

I have a question: how should I properly install X:CE? Chris mentioned in his topic (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11882-What-is-Xenonauts-Community-Edition-how-do-I-get-it) that I should change to Community branch in Steam to get it. I have done this but I don't know which version of X:CE I have when doing so. And when I go to Modding Tools in Xenonatus Launcher I have an option to load 2 mods: internal and xce. What will happen when I load any of those and should I do it? When I launch the game without any mod (No MOD in the list) I can see additional options featured in X:CE so I assume that some version of X:CE is loaded.

On the other hand, in llunak's topics (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11624-Xenonauts-Community-Edition-0-26-Release-Candidate-1) there is another way of installing and launching X:CE. So my question is: which is the, let's say, official way to install X:CE?

Right now it's a transitional period.

Steam will have the latest version of X:CE at all times. Right now, if you install from Steam, that's it, you have X:CE. The mod loader in X:CE doesn't ask what mods to load, it shows the installed ones, and will do so until reworked. The version you see in the launcher is what you get. If it says X:CE, you get X:CE.

Then you may also install the X:CE settings mod on top - download it, and install through the mod launcher. This is recommended, and will be bundled on Steam in the future.

The other way of getting X:CE, downloading and installing manually, will also remain an officially supported way of doing things because there are people who bought the game outside of Steam and therefore have to use this method.

Thanks guys. I see that after installing X:CE from Steam i have version 0.27 and I don't want that because that version is being tested now, am I right? And could some of you explain me what X:CE settings do exactly? That brief description isn't enough for me and I'd like to know what are the differences between having it and not having it.

You probably do want 0.27 actually, it seems to be in good shape. Doesn't have new crashes, and has a much more reasonable line-of-sight system.

What I remember from xcesettings is that it enables the display of 2- and 3-radar ranges when building a base, lets the mousewheel change the visible level in ground combat, adds some shortcuts to select the next soldier, and makes the air combat AI a bit smarter on higher difficulties. It also enables the display of cover states.

You probably do want 0.27 actually, it seems to be in good shape. Doesn't have new crashes, and has a much more reasonable line-of-sight system.

Not crashes, but I've experienced good 4 or 5 lock ups on alien turns within less than 10 hours of play time with 0.27. I've never had those earlier (just replaced .exe)