What is your opinion about this music type genre for Xenonauts?

Aelius

• 4 weeks later...

i remember the old westwood games having an in-game jukebox where you could select your favourite tracks from within the game music. something like that would be awesome to have in addition to "situational" music.

as for genre/style, i'll have to join my voice to the ambient/electronic/industrial crowd. something like suicide commando's waiting for the gnomes would be awesome:

or perhaps something like eisbrecher's der anfang, das ende, ruhe and hoffnung:

Personally I really enjoyed the music that is already in the game. It felt right.

Also the song that lokik linked sounds pretty intens for night battles or "Terror-sites"

Agreed to this, it hits just the right note of creepy and sci-fi.

Night battles/terror missions will obviously require something more pants-soilingly fear-inspiring, but the current soundtrack is definitely a genre I'd like to see them continue pursuing.

Music from that period is pretty awful, except for Pink Floyd, so I wouldn't bother. I'm very happy with the music style as it is.

I'm pretty impressed with someone mentioning Suicide Commando though, that is (or was) one of my favorite artists :P But I wouldn't like that as much in a game, I'd keep some creepy style music like in Terror from the Deep. You catch atmosphere most with music imho.

I agree. I surely would like some darker undertones both in music and other aspects of the game itself. First sectoids showing at the dark edge of vision, and after some time - new creatures attacking my unsuspecting soldiers in original series as well as even first minutes of Ufo:Aftermath with walking through ruined, abandoned cities populated by grotesque monstrosities created really immersive atmosphere.

This is my first post around here, so I guess I'd better make it count. ;)

I composed a track heavily inspired by the tactical music in X-Com a few years ago, but never finished it. It turned out so well that it would be a shame not to share it with others who may be interested in it however, so here it is:

UFO_Unfinished.mp3

Please keep in mind that it's unfinished and will remain that way (I have the source files, but no longer use the application they are for). The buildup at about 2/3 through isn't really what I intended with the track, and the stuff after that is just filler. Everything up to that however is how I wanted it to be and how I would do it if I ever was hired to compose music for an X-Com game (wink wink, nudge nudge ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna throw my lot in with the 'Fine as-is,' camp. Keep that direction I say. Part of what made Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse nightmare inducing games for me was the soundtrack and SFX; very ambient and subtle, the kind of thing that seeps in at the edges of your consciousness over time. The ambient music in Xenonauts does the trick for me, and the SFX are actually far 'better,' (worse for my poor heart,) than those in Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse, imo.

And that's the challenge when doing the score for a game like this, I think, is that you need something that builds tension, but does it subtly. It has to add to the atmosphere over the course of the entire game; you can't have any point where the music might instead detract from or break immersion. Enemy Unknown did this very well, Apocalypse less so, but the soundtrack was still good for Apoc and didn't actually take away from the game, even if it was a little too in-your-face at times.

Breaking away from the music for a moment and dwelling on the SFX in Xenonauts... Damn. Scares the crap outta me every time I get shot at from the darkness... Good stuff.

• 3 months later...
This is my first post around here, so I guess I'd better make it count. ;)

I composed a track heavily inspired by the tactical music in X-Com a few years ago, but never finished it. It turned out so well that it would be a shame not to share it with others who may be interested in it however, so here it is:

UFO_Unfinished.mp3

Please keep in mind that it's unfinished and will remain that way (I have the source files, but no longer use the application they are for). The buildup at about 2/3 through isn't really what I intended with the track, and the stuff after that is just filler. Everything up to that however is how I wanted it to be and how I would do it if I ever was hired to compose music for an X-Com game (wink wink, nudge nudge ;) ).

Can I just say that is awesome and completely terrifying at the same time! Oh my god... Good work man!