What is your opinion about this music type genre for Xenonauts?

Aelius

I could imagine track 1 on an intro movie for the game. First 30 secs or so of the song could be used while showing a city in ruins, maybe a few survivors looking round in horror. Then when the song kicks in the camera moves up and you see jets fighting a UFO or something.

As for ingame, i think it is a little bit fast paced. You want something which adds to the tension for the ground combat atleast.

Well, i actually can't wait for people to hear what the night combat music will be like. It will be closer to your example.

Yet more eerie and subtle. And, i hope, creepy enough! ;)

Sounds very promising! Looking forward to hearing what you have come up with. :D Also very cool that you have different music for day and night combat.

Surprisingly (or perhaps not) Mass Effect has some great tracks in the vein of tense, eerie, night time confrontation with the unknown:

[video=youtube;bJZdRE61fcI]

[video=youtube;1jIybPGa8MY]

[video=youtube;qfE0WzLcCqc]

I've been doing a playthrough recently and the music made me think of x-com/xenonauts night time missions.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Surprisingly (or perhaps not) Mass Effect has some great tracks in the vein of tense, eerie, night time confrontation with the unknown:

[video=youtube;bJZdRE61fcI]

[video=youtube;1jIybPGa8MY]

[video=youtube;qfE0WzLcCqc]

I've been doing a playthrough recently and the music made me think of x-com/xenonauts night time missions.

Indeed, JL

To be honest, playing Mass Effect did have an impact for my inspiration regarding Xenonauts. Even though you won't probably find similar tones; this game marked sure. Its been a long time i didn't enjoy a game as much as ME, and the music was really good (apart from the orchestral cinematic scenes that i thought where a bit dull in comparison to the rest, and unnecessary). But, Bioware always has good composers that, it seems, enjoy a certain liberty to express they're creativity.

Having now played the latest build, I must say that I'm happy with the music used in the game so far. Especially the air combat music was very catchy and enjoyable. Nice work! Hope to get the full soundtrack for the game later.

And yeah, both Mass Effects had a really nice soundtrack, especially the more electronic stuff. Big part of the game's atmosphere. If I remember right, in the third one they will have a different composer, hopefully he will come up with something good as well.

Edited by Lokik

Some ambient, horror, electronic direction would fit the game very well.

This is after all a turn based strategy game, so you don't want to hear fast drums when you think out your move. It would be like playing chess on the stage when Sabbath is playing.

Take the Total War series and Age of empires as an example, some type of calm music, only more dark and with more "terror" style notes :)

Depends really on the game for me, orchestral music is fine for games like Skyrim etc., but I really couldn't imagine Xenonauts or Frozen Synapse having an orchestral score. For many games, I prefer Electronic/Industrial/Ambient music, and Xenonauts is definitely one of them. For some games, like Mass Effect, it's OK to have both of course.

Frozen Synapse:

Borderlands (never played myself, but some of the music is awesome):

Borderlands (never played myself, but some of the music is awesome):

yup, borderlands BGM are nice, apart from this battle music that raise your nerves and adrenaline, other casual BGM gives a sense of blend-in, you don't actually realise there is a music playing, it just blend-in so well as a whole. ;)