[v 1.5/X:CE] Armour Resource Pack

kabill

I downloaded the pack to see exactly what was in it and I noticed that each open-head armor had copies of the same head for each armor. Is it not possible to reference these from the vanilla files?

Meanwhile, looking for the source where the major weight comes from to this mod and I noticed it was the weapon spectres.

I think I may be able to dump a lot of the images in favor of arbitrary representation. In other words, I'll sacrifice the accuracy of the exact item the soldier is holding for an item that roughly matches its style. (ex: any human rifle will always use the magrifle spectre)

With that, I may be able to use this resource in a lighter form, since uploading to Steam and ease of use means a bigger deal than the accuracy of representation. All I'll need to do is to pick and choose the most universal specters to fit all the weapons of whatever types I'll need.

Do you know the exact limit of the steam mods? You can do what you said to make it lower.. of course its up to the armour number you want to use..

Do you know the exact limit of the steam mods? You can do what you said to make it lower.. of course its up to the armour number you want to use..

I tried googling the limit and it seems its just 100Mb.

However, I also saw news that skyrim mods are not having restrictions for filesize anymore, meaning its possible to contact Steam support and ask them to lift the limit for Xenonauts too, provided you point out that your mod is big and can make the game more popular and bring more sales (thus more money to Steam), giving them a reason to care to lift the size limit.

Edited by Reactorcore

Yeah.. 2.5 gb would be nice :)

To me honest after that the "mode sale and give %75 of it to us" idea, i do not want to add anything to steam workshop even i can.. I will go for nexus and other mod sites after my mod became 1.0...

Yeah.. 2.5 gb would be nice :)

To me honest after that the "mode sale and give %75 of it to us" idea, i do not want to add anything to steam workshop even i can.. I will go for nexus and other mod sites after my mod became 1.0...

So you feel dissapointed because your need for equality and fairness was not met by their mod selling policies?

I do agree that the 25%-75% split is bullshit and the way they handled that was not fully thought through, but us uploading our xenonauts mods if a very different situation.

First of all, the actually players are what matter, those who will enjoy the mod and give feedback, say thank you and post screenshots/videos of them playing, so you and others can enjoy them too.

Secondly, mods can be uploaded for free regardless of the system. More so, since ONLY skyrim had the paid modding deal and no other game else.

Thirdly, your mod(or my mod) is not possible to actually sell. The graphics are obviously taken from the internet and modified to fit Xenonauts, since this is the most easy and fast way to do it, but this means your content is illegal due to copyrights if you tried to sell it directly. More over, Chris from GoldhawkInteractive would need to even allow selling of mods for his game or it would be also illegal.

Basically, even if you wanted, you wouldn't be able to monetize the mod itself on steam workshop without making original graphics for all items from scratch and having an agreement with Chris and Steam to do it. So the only thing is happening is thousands of Xenonaut players missing out on a cool mod experience that was originally made for free anyway.

Infact, uploading to Steam Workshop could actually give a boost to your Patreon program, funnily enough.

I dont know what you did understand from what i wrote.. I dont try to sell anything.. I said i am against selling mods.. Steam is just another trader who wants money from everything everyway..

I dont wait anything from my patreon at least before 1.0 and i out my mod to nexus and mod places. If i gain something from there will go for new ufo designs and mod art anyway..

And steam is lame when there is GB's of internet spaces are free, they only gives 100 mb per mod.. as i said i need more then 2 Gb.. and a note, that easy and fast way took my months and still taking...

I dont know what you did understand from what i wrote.. I dont try to sell anything.. I said i am against selling mods.. Steam is just another trader who wants money from everything everyway..

I dont wait anything from my patreon at least before 1.0 and i out my mod to nexus and mod places. If i gain something from there will go for new ufo designs and mod art anyway..

And steam is lame when there is GB's of internet spaces are free, they only gives 100 mb per mod.. as i said i need more then 2 Gb.. and a note, that easy and fast way took my months and still taking...

Its true, Steam is indeed a platform of selling stuff and trying to maximize that as much as possible. But, I don't see what the issue if you can always upload mods for free. Sure, someone might want to sell a mod that they can sell, but it does not stop anyone from putting another mod for free.

I'm not against selling mods, but the mods that would be put for sale need to follow certain rules to consider them eligible for selling. Also, certain games are not good for commercial mods anyway, like Skyrim or Xenonauts, due to their structure of dependencies. I'm hoping some developers in the future will create a proper game that is a good modding platform and that allows selling of mods. Basically the concept would be the same as creating a game in Unity/Game Maker, but requiring the original game as a platform.

Honestly, I don't know, but I suspect not. If it were set up like that, there wouldn't be duplicates for vanilla Basic/Jackal armour. It's probably something that could be easily changed in XCE but that wouldn't help much as you'd still need to include the duplicates for non-XCE users (or make the mod XCE exclusive).

Honestly, I don't know, but I suspect not. If it were set up like that, there wouldn't be duplicates for vanilla Basic/Jackal armour. It's probably something that could be easily changed in XCE but that wouldn't help much as you'd still need to include the duplicates for non-XCE users (or make the mod XCE exclusive).

Okay, plan B then.

Is it possible to replace all faces with a single hockeymask image?

If you add a full helmet to the base armour image (as is the case with the more advanced armour types) then you should simply be able to remove all the head images and it will be fine. You might also need to indicate something in armour.xml as well, I'm not sure.

If you add a full helmet to the base armour image (as is the case with the more advanced armour types) then you should simply be able to remove all the head images and it will be fine. You might also need to indicate something in armour.xml as well, I'm not sure.

Thank you.

I'm going to try if I can replace it with a helmet. I need one anyway for explaining the stat boosters the armor is supposed to give, so this will be perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just wanted to bring to your attention that this (an consequentially Cybernetic Armours) is not compatible with the latest community edition (0.33). The soldier equip screen LUA script has to be updated to the new xce parameters. I've this fixed internally, so if someone is interested in a temporary fix, let me know.

Hey, just wanted to bring to your attention that this (an consequentially Cybernetic Armours) is not compatible with the latest community edition (0.33). The soldier equip screen LUA script has to be updated to the new xce parameters. I've this fixed internally, so if someone is interested in a temporary fix, let me know.

Wasn't aware of this so thanks for mentioning it. What's changed exactly? And do you know whether the new LUA script will work with vanilla 1.59 (I'm hoping so as I really don't want to put out two versions of the mod!).

In any case, could I ask you to send me the new file you've made? Updating the Resource Pack itself will be a pain but since it doesn't do anything by itself I could package it with Cybernetic Armour instead until I can come up with a solution for the Resource Pack. (I might have to see about uploading the Resource Pack elsewhere as it's currently uploaded in a place that's very difficult to access.)

Here's my lua file (sequipview): https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5ncj11qj3lkhl8/sequipview.lua?dl=0

I just compared the old one to the new xce file and updated any conflicting lines, never went into specifics about what exactly changes what so I can't really pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. The problem I got after switching to 0.33 was that the soldier equip screen went completely blank, not displaying anything apart from the PNG background. Updating the script file fixed it, though I think one could fix the problem also by just deleting the script file in the Resource Pack directory, so that the game would use the xce one by default.

Can't comment on whether the new script works with vanilla 1.59, since I'm using the community branch with heavily modded game. In theory it should, especially if you also throw in the new styles.lua (which the sequipview.lua refers to) from xce 0.33 to the Resource Pack.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's as small as I know how to make it. It's plausible that there's another compression format I could use which would be better than .zip but doing anything like that starts to cut down accessibility and means you'd have to install it manually rather than using the mod tools as that only deals with .zip.

Something I have thought about doing is breaking it down into individual armour types. Increases the number of downloads but would make each one more manageable. Sadly, however, it would still make them too large to upload to Steam Workshop (which would be ideal). Unless it's possible to persuade Steam to increase the file size limit somehow.

I had this installed in the base game, along with the Cybernetic Armor mod.

I switched over to X:CE and now the header information (in the mod launcher) is blank. CyberArmor appears ok in the launcher.

In the game, my saved game lost the armor (obviously because the mod wasn't loading properly), and a few odd things went on (guys running around with no weapons that were previously wearing the armour, etc)

When I deleted and reinstalled the resource pack, it said it was successful, but then said something about "error reading central zip directory". Real strange.

Any ideas how this got borked? This only happened when I switched over to X:CE, so I know it's something to do with that. But other people seem to have no problem using it...

Edit: attached a screenie - you can see the highlighted line behind the window is where the "Armour Resource Pack" should be written.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6306[/ATTACH]

Same problem here... any fix on this?

No idea. Are you trying to install the armour resource pack from the Xenonauts mod launcher? If so, try unzipping it manually instead. Can't promise that will sort the issue out but I've no other suggestions; I've never had a problem with the pack myself.

Only installed the game yesterday and so today i downloaded ce 0.33HF1

If i try to install this pack... i get a blank line instead of a name in the mod list.

Also, if i try to add another mod after that, i get a list with 2 same mods (for me was armored assault) i deleted both, also noticed the same issue when adding extended armouries... one other mod in the list will be come duplicate and also deactivated ... no way to make it work

That's because there's no information in the modinfo file. I have a fix for that, but it would involve uploading the whole mod again from scratch which 1) will take a long time and 2) isn't something I can remember how to do as I needed to coordinate it with the person who hosts the forums and I've not been in contact with them for a while.

However, if you want to fix this yourself:

1) Open another mod's folder.

2) Copy the modinfo.xml file.

3) Paste that file in the armour resource pack mod folder.

4) Open the copied modinfo file in a text editor.

5) Edit the fields to something appropriate (the key thing is the mod name and description).

That should then give it a proper entry and resolve the problem.