Compatible with Steam version.

Larry Burstyn

Unfortunately that seems not to be true. I have version 1.09 and some mods change the Xenanauts.exe program...making them incompatible to the Steam version. It's a real pain lacking a mod install program that works to take out the mods that don't "play nice" with the steam version.

I also see a mod called CE???? and XNT??? and Xenophohia that seems to be several mods put together but I cannot find CE or XNT to download and cannot tell by what I can find that they are compatible with 1.09 of the steam version.

I would think they are all compatible but that would also depends on the version you're using. They're after all the same game and code

The only mod which changes the executable is the Community Edition mod. Which you can overlay 1.09 with fine since the current build of CE (v0.26) is built on top of 1.09. If another mod comes with an executable, then that's simply the X:CE executable that's been packaged with that mod.

(Note that X:CE 0.26 has a somewhat problematic bug in it, though, so you might be worth waiting 'til 0.27 before using it, or running 0.25 for the time being instead).

As for compatibility, there should be this information in the first post of the relevant mod's thread. If there isn't, I suggest you ask the mod author since that information is supposed to be indicated according to the mod posting rules.

If you have a bit of spare hard drive space you can always make a copy of the Xenonauts folder to apply your mods to. The game doesn't require steam to run so once you have downloaded it you can just copy or move the whole install directory and add a shortcut to the new location. Steam will not try to update over any files and if you break it just delete and make a fresh copy of the Steam version to play with.