How do you make your bases?

I have no idea how Marauders work, being able to use 'only' Foxtrots and Corsairs at the moment. It seems, you and your AI opponent can field up to 3 crafts each per battle. Bringing bigger UFOS on the battlefield does not mean they are smater, just have more HP and make a bigger BOOM when they blow off. Keeping the pace with the research, a skilled player would probably be able to keep total air superiority with just foxtrots and Corsairs. The only limiting factor is maybe the total destructive power of your interceptor's weapons.

Am I wrong on that?

Pretty much. Battleships are faster than Foxtrots by enough that catching them is a bit of a crapshoot. But you can easily have a bunch of Marauders built before they show up.

Chris, the way it is now, is a bit illogical and..cheezy. The player sould be encouraged to stick with his personnel, and penalized for sacking present personnel and hiring new one. You know, you get dismissed, and your employer must pay you your wage plus the 'liquidation bonus'. Something like that. I remember how we cheated the system back in UFO-EU by sacking scientists/engineers before month's end and re-hiring them, just trying to imagine a solution to bring the feature a step forward :)

As he just said, there's is literally 0 reason to do that. Re-hiring costs the same as if you had kept them around, but firing and rehiring means they don't do any work while you wait for them to come back.

To me, the best penalty for the fire-rehire strategy is to have the soldiers walk away with all their experience. That is why I have never even attempted it.

At the time of my 1.07 crash, I had three bases located at Jabal Al-Lawz (the biblical Mt. Sinai in Saudi Arabia), the Yucatan Peninsula, and North Korea (possibly with help from Kim Yong Well ;)) Mount One was getting pretty stuffed with six hangars, two labs, two workshops, three radars and no craft-level defenses. I counted on infantry for defense and kept my chock on the ground until I was pretty sure there wasn't any possibility of aliens attacking the base in a particular wave (or alternately, I was pretty sure I had enough ready interceptor firepower to down it before it got there.) Mount Two had a workshop and five hangars, as well as a dropship and sickbay. Mount One tended to build all the aircraft while Mount Two stuck to infantry equipment. Once I had enough aircraft, Mount One would switch over to infantry equipment as well. Mount Three (the one in North Korea) initially had just the infantry, radar, and aircraft, but I had a workshop in progress at the end of that particular game. All three bases had three radar installations, and that covered all land except a smidgin of Ellesmere Island, Greenland, Iceland (ironically enough), the southern tip of South America, and the entirety of Australia, which was generally a pain to operate in (I'm pretty sure I'd still wind up dropping most of the alien craft into the sea if I had a base there.)

By the way: I found a bug :P

Pretty much. Battleships are faster than Foxtrots by enough that catching them is a bit of a crapshoot. But you can easily have a bunch of Marauders built before they show up.

Ok thanks for the info.

Another question: what about the x-120 fury? (wow the Blackbird! I can now have one. All mine!).She just go and kill..er..anything? No crash site, nothing, the UFO's just evaporate. What is its purpose? A money sink? An Alenium sink? The wet dream of every lazy X-com player? The costs seem so darn prohibitive, that I believe most hard-core players will finish the game before even bother to build one.

Ok thanks for the info.

Another question: what about the x-120 fury? (wow the Blackbird! I can now have one. All mine!).She just go and kill..er..anything? No crash site, nothing, the UFO's just evaporate. What is its purpose? A money sink? An Alenium sink? The wet dream of every lazy X-com player? The costs seem so darn prohibitive, that I believe most hard-core players will finish the game before even bother to build one.

EDIT: What do you know, double post. Hooray! Hate my half-ass ISP sometimes..

Edited by BULIGO
Not enough spamming on the forum recently.

Nope, no one ever discusses the Fury. Just kidding.

Agh! Shame on me! *blushing*

EDIT: okay, I've read the posts concerning the Fury. Looks like the darn contraption is meant to be a nice/expensive trophy to hang over your fireplace mantle. Fair enough. My goal is to postpone the End Game mission as long as I can before getting bored to death. I really like the GC, always did always will. The air combat is fun too, to a point. Base management I can..manage, the Strategic part of the game (Geoscape) is okay.

In the old X-com game my goal was to accumulate 5000 ellerium-115 and to have 8 level 90+ PSI-strenght soldiers.. In Xeno I thought a good goal would be to accumulate 1000 Alenium. Now my goal changed: 3 Furies per radar base, zero at 'home'. Should be ready before x-mas :)

Compulsive grinding disorder is a blessing and a curse.

Edited by BULIGO
Why is this important?

I try to keep only two basses staffed with soldiers and full equipment, and two bases designed to be basically anti-air platforms with only the minimal troops needed to protect it if it unluckily gets invaded. Usually my sub-basses are the ones that are a tech-level behind and rely on modern Explosives to keep the base defended, while the main bases are split as one in north america and one in the middle east. Why north america and not central america? I don't trust getting shot down over the ocean and the travel time added on is negligible. Plus america is one of the highest funding places and keeping them happy is good. I really would never want my NA base to get captured, so it gets my secondary batch of Good Troops.

Compulsive grinding... ever play X-COM: Apocalypse? I grind the Cult of Sirius at the beginning of every month until I have purchased every single item on the market, lol. Except maybe the Gryphon ...those things are faffin' useless.

No, never played Apocalypse. Now that Xenonauts is out and established, I keep reading about how awesome Apoc was. Apparently I missed a big deal by not getting involved with it. Back then, I thought it was not much. It seems I was wrong. After watching a couple flicks about Apoc on YT, looks like the game would still be playable today.Back then to me it looked like some sort of SimCity LOL.

Apparently I missed a big deal by not getting involved with it.

Maybe. It's full of really excellent ideas, but I'm not convinced the execution is good enough to quite pull it through. IMO, obviously. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't, though.

Maybe. It's full of really excellent ideas, but I'm not convinced the execution is good enough to quite pull it through. IMO, obviously. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't, though.

I was counting on enthusiasm and nostalgia to carry over any lack of technical exellency :)

LW can be typified by my most recent foray into it. Commit all efforts to capturing a landed transporter with 40 aliens on it (and spend an hour doing so). Reward: enough alloys to build a suit of advanced armour. #grindin'

Edited by Max_Caine

LW can be typified by my most recent foray into it. Commit all efforts to capturing a landed transporter with 40 aliens on it (and spend an hour doing so). Reward: enough alloys to build a suit of advanced armour. #grindin'

LW also has the joy of things like the terror mission where I moved my entire squad three spaces forward from the LZ and ended turn. Then I watched a pack of chrysallids, a cyberdisk pack, a trio of beserkers, and a pack of floaters all activate during the first AI turn.

No, never played Apocalypse. Now that Xenonauts is out and established, I keep reading about how awesome Apoc was. Apparently I missed a big deal by not getting involved with it. Back then, I thought it was not much. It seems I was wrong. After watching a couple flicks about Apoc on YT, looks like the game would still be playable today.Back then to me it looked like some sort of SimCity LOL.
Didn't particularly care for the ending or how easy it was to destroy civilian buildings but absolutely loved the game, interface and theme. Gonna have to play it again.

Love this genre and have reasonable skillz but still making noob mistakes. Especially when it comes to managing funds. Hell, I restarted again at the beginning of the third month, when my three bases were simply costing too much. Had a base in N.A. and despite little to no incidents their funding decreased by almost $60k, WTF?

I am in mid-january and I have completed 52 gound missions. Maybe I missed 5-6, but it was risky time-wise so I just sent airstrikes, too distant or night ops, which I hate in Xeno. Thinking about boosting the electro-flare range from 5 to 10 tiles. Should be more fun that way. 5 tiles is rubbish, a candle would ched more light. :) I believe that those ground missions carried me over the looming financial death. Sometimes did 3-4 in a row if they were set east-west.I lost Australia, but oh well, the rest of the flock is firmly under control now.