The game is mocking me!

Finally downed a corvette with an officer aboard. As soon as the battlescape loads, there is a popup advising me that the sensors eh..sensed one alien officer present onthe crash site (my active mission says nab an alien officer).

Ok, here we start, carefully picking Cyberdiscs and alien soldiers until we finally are parked in front of the corvette door. Afeter some shots fired and more stun grenades hurled, my shield-gal rushes the last standing alien. Wait, thats not even a soldier, some stupid redshirt. *BZZZZ* she stuns him, mission finished.No officer. The info panel says xx dead and zz stunned aliens were taken/destroyed. I see, it reads the alien officer is also dead. But I never kiled him! He was already dead! I reload from the start make extra sure I keep an eye on any hooded aliens, storm the ufo with casualties (just a test run) rush straight for the room where I found the officer corpse, and lo and behold: he is dead alright. So why is the game saying there is an officer if he is already dead? I never killed him, his minions neither I believe.He died in the crash. My 'operations' people should have know that .Odd.

Edited by BULIGO

Could just be that the people in operations determined that a corvette class vessel has an officer assigned to it. There would be know way for them to determine that it was killed in the crash, and they felt it necessary to inform the combat team prior to them engaging the enemy in case they saw an opportunity to take it alive.

In a crash-landed UFO, every alien has a chance of dying. Unfortunately, the popup can't tell if an alien is dead or alive - only that the alien is present. It's not exactly a bug, because it does as advertised. It just doesn't have discretionary powers. It's a mechanics issue that is unlikely to be fixed.

Sorry to hijack your thread here, but I had a similar question;

I have completed the Officer interogation, and now

need to capture an alien leader. Does the same message pop up informing me that a leader is present when I start the ground mission?

Yes it does, postm00v.

Speaking of dead officers: In my last game, I took extra care to stun the special-looking Sebillian in my first corvette assault (stun rockets and grenades are my weapons of choice there). I did a double take when I read the Mission Accomplished screen, though: It said 'Sebillian Officer.......destroyed'. At least I thought it did. It may have been this very issue and I stunned the wrong guy.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a screenshot and just reloaded the previous autosave, because in taking that officer I lost my favorite sniper. I would have accepted the loss if I'd gotten that officer to the research division, but... (On the second try, I just ended up killing them all and going after the next one).

Edited by matzebrei85

Sorry to hijack your thread here, but I had a similar question;

I have completed the Officer interogation, and now

need to capture an alien leader. Does the same message pop up informing me that a leader is present when I start the ground mission?

Just hope that unlike me, when you encounter your first leader unit, he's not an Andron... you can't stun and capture Androns, so I was stuck having to wait for another opportunity :/

I was extremely annoyed.

Just hope that unlike me, when you encounter your first leader unit, he's not an Andron... you can't stun and capture Androns, so I was stuck having to wait for another opportunity :/

I was extremely annoyed.

Ouch, didn't know that could happen. Me, I killed a Sebillian and a Caesan leader before capturing the third guy. The first I didn't recognize and iced (by accident), the second decided to draw reaction fire - a plasma rifle burst from point blank range. The third... well... 4 dead, 3 wounded, but I got him.

Actually, in the old X-Com, you could also get them from Battleships.

In Xenonauts...

...you find them on Large UFOs - Cruisers, for example. Possibly on bigger ones as well, but I didn't get that far yet.

The tech-tree says that from 'Alien interrogation' onwards: Officer, Leader and Praetor, they are needed for just one thing: Operation Endgame. So I shouldn't worry about that for a long long time I guess :)