Xenonanuts hangs when blowing up the hedges with rockets

silencer

Ok, since I am running XCE 0.26 I will not post this bug under standard bug report. I don't know what causes this. Either XCE, or maybe Kabills map. Either way when I blow up the hedge wall on this map I get a hang. All I can do is logout as a user since every window is not responsive in Windows. Even in task manager. (I could enter cmd and through Taskkill close Xenonantus.exe)

I'm providing a save and a list of mods that I am using, that modifies the game:

[ATTACH]5151[/ATTACH]

Mods that should require installation:

-Fire in the Hole current + experimental upgrade.

-Lore+

-Kabill map pack - all 3 but this one is farm map.

-Skitsos map pack (may not be necessary, as this map is definitely made by Kabill).

Mods that may need additional installation but I don't think so:

-Hold the line

After loading the save. Just make line for the soldier with rocket launcher and fire straight at the hedge. When missile reaches the hedge I get total freeze.

I can safely destroy the hedge with LMG or normal fire.

EDIT:

It happens only on those hedges that run from left to right of the screen. Those from top to bottom, doesn't give that effect.

EDIT 2:

OK, I'm getting so many frequent freezes like it was in beta builds. Fire rocket at something, freeze. Suppress enemy, then fire at him again, freeze. Was there some kind of magical honky donky update, that brakes even XCE?

s6.sav

s6.sav

Edited by silencer

So, I can confirm that the game is crashing both when the hedge is destroyed and when any unit (alien or player) gets suppressed (no crashes for the rocket hitting the ground or a nearby building, though, to be clear). No thoughts as to why this is the case. And starting a new ground mission (on a new game) seems to work fine.

Given that it doesn't happen on all ground combats, the most likely culprit outside sheer randomness is the map. But I don't know why the map would be causing those issues (the hedge spectres are vanilla, and any issue with them should apply to all maps anyway. And it should have no impact on suppression).

Alternatively, perhaps the gc hasn't loaded properly or something and that's gotten baken into the save game? I don't know.

I've been playing last week with 0.26 and didn't have any issues. It all happened when the "extras" patch came in. I even reinstalled Xenonanuts from scratch (thanks 60Mb internet). I've loaded another ground mission (for the same UFO crash but different map) it crashed when I hit Sebillian with rocket and destroyed some props. So I don't know what is going on. Wish the guys from Community mod would check or devs if they would be so kind. I'm pretty much half way in my playthrough and starting from the beginning isn't all that fun.

Other option would be to ask you kabill to make both Fire in the Hole and Hold the line vanilla 1.09 compatibile and if the crashing will be on vanilla then I could post a bug in proper forum, where it would definitely be checked.

"Extras" Update!

Community Announcements - Goldhawk

The update today does not change the game files at all, it just makes available a new folder called "Extras" in the root directory.

This contains our Kickstarter rewards - the game soundtrack in a zip, the developer post-mortem article, the game novella and some wallpapers. Feel free to check them out if you are interested.

We've also updated the compatibility version for the Mac version of the game. This is in a new zip in the Mac Steam game folder called Xenonauts_compatibility.zip and it should help if you have blurred text or have white tiles / periodic crashes on the larger maps.

It won't affect many people, but should make troubleshooting smoother for those of you having game issues on Mac!

This one that was released 31st of July

Totally missed that. For what it's worth, the copy I tried your save game on does not have this.

Would it be worth starting a new game to see if you get the issue right from the off now? If you have the same issue, that implies it's something to do with that patch (since I was able to start a new game without it and everything worked fine).

EDIT: Also, have you reinstalled the XCE executable since downloading that? Just want to check in case that could be responsible somehow.

Yes I've copied every mod including XCE again. Like I said, I've removed Xenonauts, installed agained and copied XCE with all other mods.

EDIT:

I've started a new game. Got the same thing. Almost every prop that I try to destroy with Rocket Launcher hangs the game. Something is fishy here.

EDIT 2:

Think I fond the Culprit. It's Fire in the Hole.

Installed Xenos again. Started new game, just to get a farmland mission.

First vanilla. Got Hedges. Blow them up. Works fine.

Installed XCE. Loaded same mission. Blow same hedge. Works fine.

Added Fire in The Hole. Bang instant freeze when rocket hits the hedges.

Edited by silencer

A note to the XCE team: There's not any reason why FitH should be doing this. Given the issue with suppression as well, it seems like an issue with weapons_gc.xml which FitH modifies, but only to add in two new items. Furthermore, since it worked fine with XCE 0.26 before the 'extras' patch, I can't see why it would be anything specifically in FitH.

I'm going to do some tests on my machine to see if I can see what's up, but I'm wondering whether it's something to do with the mod-loader? Perhaps it's not working properly with the new main-game patch or something.

Just realised that XCE was never updated for v0.26. So it might be because of that. I'll do a quick test just to make sure the extras thing isn't a problem with my updated version I've been waiting to upload, and if that works fine I'll get a 0.26 build out ASAP.

Doesn't seem to be FitH after all. Following silencer's steps above, I'm getting the crash without having installed FitH, just the most recent build of Xenonauts and XCE 0.26. Same crash didn't happen with just vanilla.

To be certain, I tried the XCE 0.26 version with a new game (to make sure it wasn't a save game compatibility issue). I got the same map as I'd gotten on the non-XCE version and did the same thing as I'd did previously which this time produced a crash.

Note as well that this was using the mod-installer version of XCE (i.e. XCE files in the mods folder) while silencer had used the old overwrite version, so it's not due to using one or the other of these.

I seem to have run into a similar issue last night. The game hung when I tried to blow up a car. After reloading the game, the game froze again when I lobbed a grenade at an alien. It specifically hung when I hit "End Turn" which would have made the grenade explode.

To be more specific, I am using the latest version of Xenonauts, with XCE 0.26.

I have the following mods/packs installed.

Skitzos Map Pack

Kabil's Random Map Pack

I got the Real Fighter Armors and Portraits

Skitzo's Oppressive UI

Kabil's Enhanced Crash Sites

Same stuff going on here, but for me it seems to be when I shoot a rocket/explosive off-view into the blackness and/or directly hit an alien in the face whom cannot return reaction fire (blocked melee units from XNT from what I can tell). Turning off skiphiddenanimation in 0.26 sometimes helps to avoid the freeze, but not entirely.

Its definitely 0.26HF as this is the first CE EXE that I and I think all of you have found this issue in, yeah? Anyone able to get this in 0.25?

So, I just did a little experiment and it seems to be related to things happening outside of LoS/in unrevealed tiles. Just loaded up a map with a load of rockets and started shooting beyond LoS. First time I did it, CTD.

Oddly, though, when I tried repeating it and trying different things, it didn't happen again. So there must be some other trigger as well. But in any case it made me wonder whether it could be related to this change in 0.26:

- do not show damage/stun numbers, zombify and teleport animations in places that are not visible to soldiers

It's the only thing that I can see which changed in 0.26 that would seem related at all to the problem.

I've fast checked what you said and this is not the answer. However I found something more interesting.

[video=youtube_share;_6e8_Am7fSk]

This is 2 phase recording on vanilla save, that I can safely test without the need of any mods. The first try is very peculiar. I on purpose targeted ground before the hedge. It exploded quite nicely. On next run I've targeted the hedge itself. When rocket was about to explode in the hedge itself, the game froze. So right now my theory is that rockets can't directly hit anything.

The sudden end is because of the freeze.

Ok, that could also work. In the test I did - on an industrial map - there was a multi-tile prop just outside of sight range which the rocket could have hit. It would also explain why I couldn't reproduce the bug, because I don't think I hit it directly again in the rest of my tests.