Why do you think the aliens invaded?

While we wait for V8, I thought it would be fun to guess at the motives behind the alien invasion. I'll give my somewhat serious answer to start, as I'm sure there will plenty of amusing theories. First, we can take a look at what little we already know and draw some conclusions.

• They are obviously highly advanced, having presumably mastered FTL speed and interplanetary travel, as well as a host of other futuristic technology. Therefore, I doubt there is anything resource or technology wise they want from us (but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.)

• They are obviously warlike. Either they don't do diplomacy, or don't think that it's worth it with humans. There are some interesting possibilities depending on which one it is. Maybe they have a culture that favors war to settle disputes, or they don't negotiate with us, because they see humans as mere bugs.

• They may have highly limited resources, or are in a state of distress in which case invading Earth may have been a last resort. Otherwise, I think they'd launch a War of the Worlds style invasion (leading to a very short game ;)) Because they are in a low scale war with us, it might suggest they are incapable of a grander operation, or the smaller operations benefit some other motive.

• They see us as a potential threat to them or their long term goals, necessitating an armed response. Either they want to prevent us from challenging them in space one day, or they want our planet and don't want us on it.

Here are some other factors to consider: the Rare Earth hypothesis (habitable planets are extremely rare, and may be the most valuable resource in the universe to spacefaring civilizations). The Drake equation, which attempts to estimate how many advanced races may exist (in my experience, it would suggest a lot) and Stephen Hawking's belief that if an alien race visited Earth, it would likely want to take it over.

My guess: The invaders represent a small portion of a considerably populated galaxy, with depleting resources and almost no uninhabited Earth-like planets to move to. An alien astronomer gets lucky, sees the Earth on the outskirts of one of the Milky Way's spiral arms, informs their superior, which kicks off an invasion to grab the prime real estate before anyone else. Considering their tech level, they have no qualms invading us because to them, we're semi-intelligent apes (which I guess is pretty accurate :D)

And they are trying to invade us quietly, because a large scale invasion could tip other races off to their plans and they want to keep the Earth a secret and all to themselves.

Yeah, I have often thought about this, and have come up with some pretty colourful answers.

But if the truth be know the reason is simply to occupy our council houses. Aliens dream of owning their own council property which they may abuse at their leisure.

The idea of a military conquest that they obviously bungle is a bit of a stretch considering the technological advantages.

If we export our thinking on to aliens (an obvious flaw, but that is how we attempt to understand the world)

1.) This is a research project and we are the dangerous natives. What we see aren't 'war ships' but the analogous dude riding around in a jeep with a rifle out on Safari. This explains the lack of competency despite be technologically advanced. What we are killing are their interns and bored security guards.

2.) We are witnessing the ass end of an interstellar bureaucracy. The aliens on the ground don’t know why they are there therefore it is impossible for us to understand it. There is no rational reason 

3.) We are being exploited secretly (Aliens have poorly enforced rules against messing with semi-intelligent life forms) This explains lack of overwhelming force but still provides an avenue for some plausible reason to stop on this planet such as our women or rare elements or possible beneficial bio diversity applications.

3.) We are being exploited secretly (Aliens have poorly enforced rules against messing with semi-intelligent life forms) This explains lack of overwhelming force but still provides an avenue for some plausible reason to stop on this planet such as our women or rare elements or possible beneficial bio diversity applications.

This rung home with me. There's not a good reason they wouldn't send in better "units" earlier, unless they're trying to win the battle with as little force as possible.

I always thought the rag-tag mixtures of co-operating aliens all arriving at once was a little suspect personally.

Either they're some kind of alliance.. Or a bunch of exiles banded together and roaming across the galaxy like cosmic hobos looking for a new home... or where they come from has a ridiculous level of biodiversity and very little inter-species biggotry (despite unanimously being willing to attack humans rather than co-operate with them... You'd think it'd hardly be a stretch considering how many different species make up the alien side already).

I believe the most plausible explanation is the aliens love of cheese. They went to the moon, but found out it wasn't really made of cheese, and got angry by our distraction. So they came to earth (everyone knows they abduct cows, you saw them in harvesters in X-COM), but rather than stealing a few cows here and there, and THEN having to make the cheese, why not get the galaxies entire supply of cows and people who know how to make cheese in the first place!

See logical!

I always liked the idea of a spread out alien society, maybe space dwelling (yes, sweet spot planets may be rare... at least for carbon based life forms) or just with planets a really long distance apart. If we hit the edge of some alien culture the ships we get at first are those that happened to be nearby and are the equivelant of border patrols. Gradually you get more competent (and better equipped) forces, until the Pretorian Guard (or equivelant) shows up with uber equipment. As far as why any of these forces don't show up in overwhelming numbers... again if habitats are rare the resources to build some of the technology may be rare (assuming they can't replicate everything from raw materials without any bio-processes what so ever. Or it's just cheaper to get stuff from plants...) so there is a cap to how much each planet can support. OK, that's a bit of a stretch if you've got multi-planet alliance attacking a 1970's Earth! Even with one planet like earth and a more advanced culture you'd think they could send overwhelming force... unless FTL is difficult and/or expensive.

I believe that the Aliens have invaded because Humans are considered an intergalactic delicacy and a loose conglomerate of Alien Harvesting companys has had a quota system imposed on them in order not to squander us tasty Humans. Obviously there is inherant danger in this as most food isnt armed with bazookas and machineguns.The ultimate goal of Xenonauts is to kill enough Aliens to eventually submit a very strongly worded letter to the intergalactic government concerning the morality and health issues involved with the consumption of Humans.Very much like the international lobby on the Japanese hunting of Whales.

The aliens were sent to colonize a distant star.

They don't actually have ftl travel so had to make the trip in some kind of stasis.

When they arrived they started to wake up to find that the only habitable planet already had a human infestation.

They make the decision to attack as they can't go back.

As they either wake up more of their gene engineered colonists, or engineer better ones on the fly, they also start converting their tools and technology into weapons.

As they get more experienced they make more effective weapons and troops.

Their starting troops aren't real soldiers at all, they are also using modified tools instead of dedicated and developed weapons tech, while the early craft are modified transports and farm machinery.

It just all looks impressive because it is beyond what we can do.