Is the soldier-size Scatter laser playable?

So, I found the reported bug about the vehicle-equipped Scatter laser crashing the game, but does the same hold true for the soldier-equipped one, or should that be working normally? I want to try it out so bad, but the dang game keeps crashing on the ground mission loading screen! Is it because I have guys equipped with Scatter lasers on my chinook? Is the Scatter laser playable at all yet, or what? Thanks in advance for the help! :D

I have tried 9.1, but, unfortunately now there's a new CTD bug on the geoscape that I keep getting often. I can't even play long enough to even research laser weapons, let alone try them out in combat. /sadface. Oh well, I'm sure it will get fixed eventually. Out of curiosity tho', do the soldier-equipped scatter lasers actually work? Can you actually play with them?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing 9.2, and I can research, make, and equip Scatter lasers, but when I try to play with them, I always get a CTD on the ground mission loading screen. Has anyone actually playtested the Scatter laser yet, or have I just been fooling myself all this time? =)

I have added a couple of missing entries into files so that the scatter laser could go onto missions but it still crashes (only when the soldier carrying it faces west).

Looks like it has some animation problems as well as some missing files.

Guess you will have to wait until next release to try it again :)

OK after a bit more messing about I have replaced the missing animations so that the scatter laser is usable in combat, even if it looks a little odd.

It still has issues though.

For example it only fires in 3 shot bursts but also only has a 4 shot battery life so you have to reload after every shot or only fire a single shot.

In other words no the scatter laser is definitely NOT playable in this version!

You need to capture alien weapons and equipment first.

Once you start researching their gear you can start working on lasers.

Although I did just make lasers available without pre requisites for testing purposes, wouldn't do that if you plan on enjoying the game though :)

I was surprised I didn't need any alenium to build the ammo though.

You need to capture alien weapons and equipment first.

There some kind of bug. I can not figure what and how but something like entering to combat or loading game will break research tree. It's already mentioned somewhere. Laser and armor technologies just not appear or disappear, I didn't test this too much

You are correct, Gorlom. Thank you for your response. I have tried it, several times, in 9.0, 9.1, and now 9.2, and I have got a CTD on either the ground mission loading screen, or the geoscape, every single time. Unfortunately, that is 2-3 hours of my life that I will never get back. Lol! :o I mean, how cool does a "heavy machine gun laser" sound? Pretty awesome to me! So, I had to try it, but I guess it just doesn't work yet. I wish someone would've told me that a long time ago. I'm just not going to play the game again until the next update comes out. When it does, I will be sure to ask FIRST if it works or not before spending the time to try it myself! :P

I will be sure to ask FIRST if it works or not before spending the time to try it myself!

You can check this very easy - run Xenonauts_gc_editor - GroundCombat.bat, press U, give to one of you soldiers this weapon and if you CTD when return to game then this not work and visa versa

Edited by zzz

• 4 weeks later...