Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.26

Well I assume I need to start a new game, no mention of this in the OP. That existing games are incompatible with this mod.

First, the dropship name and team names were not the same, Dropship: Tango 1, Team: Charlie - 10 (?!). Soldiers could be unassigned from a dropship but were not removed from it. Since the dropship is full, soldiers could not be assigned the proper team/dropship name. Changing the dropship name to match the erroneous team then unassigning soldiers did not work. Vehicles cannot be unassigned when the dropship name does not match the assigned name.

Reload/Resolution: Changing the name to the original name "CHARLIE - 1", results in all soldiers and vehicle team names being changed to match. They can then be unassigned and will be removed from the dropship.

Started a new game. DON'T as in NEVER change the name of the dropship BEFORE unassigning soldiers/vehicles. Unassign everyone/thing first!

Suggestion:

It would be nice if while in ground combat, the spacebar cycled through the soldiers, Especially since the mouse wheel now cycles through the levels. Or some key, I know the spacebar is used to cancel a move order.

Observation:

The shock baton is size 2x3. WTF?! I'm sure this is the original BAD design. So can it be easily changed?

Edited by RasterOps

So, just ended up getting Xenonauts last weekend and loving it, and I saw a lot of mention of CE and people saying it's the one mod you should get right away before even finishing Vanilla. I wanted to, but I have a question, will it work with the steam version since you have to replace the .exe?

Alright, thanks for the quick responses! Did not know about the steam beta thing I will try that. The mod sounds really great and I know the ones I want to try after I finish vanilla (well now vanilla + ce) playthrough requires it so I was hoping. I have just had bad experiences in the past with modding steam games when the .exe is changed.

Yes, some Steam games dislike changed exe files, but Xenonauts is not one of those. It doesn't rely on any Steam API, and essentially uses Steam just as a delivery platform.

The Steam beta branch should shortly become the preferred method of getting X:CE.

So, just ended up getting Xenonauts last weekend and loving it, and I saw a lot of mention of CE and people saying it's the one mod you should get right away before even finishing Vanilla. I wanted to, but I have a question, will it work with the steam version since you have to replace the .exe?

You don't have to replace the .exe, you can make the X:CE .exe to be named differently if you want.

So, sorry for another stupid sounding (and probably is) question, but I went ahead and got it through the beta opt-in on steam, however it comes up as it being 0.27. Is there anyway to get the stable 0.26 version on steam?

Also, how can I tell if it's active, when the launcher comes up, it has the mod tools and no matter which I choose to load (No, XCE, Internal) it doesn't seem to make a difference. Which one should I be choosing? Not matter which one I choose I get the tool tips on stats in the soldier equip screen.

However I notice in the change-log that it is supposed to show 2 and 3 radar range when you build a base but I don't get that, and I don't seem to have the 0.26 option to not show alien suppression. The only thing that seems to actually work is the tool tips for soldiers... so not sure if it is installed right, or if it is working correctly. At least from the easily checked stuff. It is this way no matter which mod option I choose.

You can't get the 0.26 version on steam.

To check if it's active, check in the top right corner of the launcher. It should show the version number and build name.

All of the things like radar ranges showing have been moved to a separate mod that you need to download such that the basic 0.27 build is identical to vanilla in terms of gameplay (it just has the UI features and bugfixes). To get those as well, you'll need to go tot he downloads page and download (and install) the X:CE 'options' mod.

Note that in the mod tools section in the launcher, the list you can pull up is the list of mods you have installed, rather than a list you choose from to load. So having an 'xce' folder and an 'internal' is excatly what should be there.

These are actually good questions because all of this may be unclear.

X:CE on Steam begins with 0.27, which is currently experimental but will be a proper release later (which is why we are keeping 0.27 low-key). The correct way to tell what you are running is to look in the launcher, the version displayed there is what you have.

X:CE recently changed how mod loading works, so the mod manager in the launcher is currently not very useful. All installed mods will run, but the manager will be changed to provide a reasonable interface to select the mods you want.

Radar ranges and a whole bunch of optional features are enabled with the X:CE settings mod available in the downloads section here. Again, this will later be made more convenient due to the mod launcher.

Thank you for the help. The mod launcher thing is slightly confusing at the moment. I did download and install the settings mod (replacing gameconfig.xml and modinfo.xml) into steam/steamapps/common/xenonauts/assets/mods but whenever I start a new game it won't let you make the starting base, saying insufficient funds.

Is the settings mod not updated to work with 0.27?

Ya, I think I see the problem, I will have to check when I get home but it seems like I installed it wrong. Did not realize you could install mods through the launcher and that is how you are supposed to and not just overwrite the files. That is my bad, sorry about that.

Right, that's a new thing with X:CE. Previously you were supposed to just overwrite files, but that was not good because you couldn't install 2 mods at once if they changed the same file. In X:CE now you're supposed to install mods through the launcher, which lets you have essentially any mods that do not change the same thing.

No.

The X:CE branch on Steam is available and visible to everyone, we do not want to expose the general public to experimental versions that may crash, corrupt savegames and so on. That branch should be in a good, playable state. If we have experimental versions that need testing, we'll post them here so that a few patient and experienced people can do it.

Gameconfig.xml

<!-- SAVE GAME COMPATIBILITY -->

<!-- This is primarily for being able to use XCE saves with official GH releases. Change the value only temporarily, using other formats for normal play will lose some data. -->

<!-- Allowed values are "xce" for Community Edition and "gh107" for official release 1.07 and up. -->

<saveCompatibility value="xce" comment="The version of game for which to write save files." />

However when I tried it, the vanilla save was just broken.

If the GC editor is going to become the standard build for X:CE, is there any possibility that the fps counter could be made optional through one of the game files? It's hardly a dealbreaker, but I prefer it not being there and it would be nice therefore if it was possible to turn it off (or better, not to have it display by default and make it possible to toggle on instead).