Want to save the planet? Sign up here and help a new let's player out!

fend414

Hello everyone, I recently started a youtube channel and began let's playing. This lovely game popped up on my radar recently and I decided to try my hand and record my experiences. The difficulty is normal (since it is my first playthrough) but I am playing on iron man mode. I will be taking requests for soldier names, if anyone wants a specific position or include a backstory please specify. I would love to hear feedback on how I am commentating as well as my tactics. I've already posted the first episode here; as I didn't want anyone dying on the first mission. Help be a part of this epic saga of heroism and sacrifice, sign up today!

I like it. :) You have a clear speaking voice and your commentary (unlike my own, alas) is amusing without being cheesy. Well done!

If you need more volunteers, sign me up!

Name: Darkwombat

Specialty: Filing Clerk (Just kidding! Let's try Assault. Give me a boomstick and send me to death and glory!)

Backstory:

Darkwombat grew up on the mean streets of Oxford, England, where he was a heartless thug, shaking down civilians for cash and valuables. . .

(Ok, that's not entirely correct, he actually grew up on Main Street in Oxford, New Zealand, where he ran a gift shop -- but technically he still shook down civilians for cash, so that bit stays.)

One day he was sent a mysterious e-mail from an old college buddy, and when he opened it a bunch of images flashes before his eyes! Afterwards, he knew kung-fu! (Wait, that's the opening plot from the excellent TV series, "Chuck." Probably best to go a different route. Plagiarism and whatnot, you know)

Right. One day, he was bitten by a radioactive spider and developed mutant spider sen-- .... (DANG IT!)

Um. One day, he was in a terrible accident and the doctors barely saved him. But then, they rebuilt him. Better. Stronger. Fas -- (CRAP!)

Ok. He was an ex-US Marine turned history Professor, until his country called him to track down a Soviet submari -- (Jack Ryan. Right)

Look, the backstory thing clearly isn't working out for me . . . maybe you better just make it up as you go along. :)

Name: Nathaniel T. Winters

Caucasian

Weapon Selection: Rifle w/3 spare magazines, 2 grenades, 2 stun grenades, stun baton, and first aid kit.

U.S. Navy Seal. Specializations are with rifles. His field training included basic combat first aid, which has landed him a role as a back-up medic.

For Fend, seeing as he did not post the new episode here on the forums, episode 4 is up!

Also, all of my flares last night had the directions in Russian, don't know who the quarter master was, but he needs to be fired. Also, I was told there would be some hot Nurses, you know, the Asian ones in the miniskirts, all I saw over in medical was big Scandinavian Dudes with palms as big as my head.

Edited by Dirk Ralthar

'Marty'

Some backwater Canadian wank who spends his free time shooting tooled-up pellet guns. Thing about pellet guns though, is that to shoot them -well-, you have to know exactly how to gauge distance and windage at a glance, and how to apply that knowledge to the specs of the weapon being fired (weight and muzzle velocity of the projectile being used,) and doing it all in your head before each pull of the trigger in order to extrapolate the shot arc.

Basically, he's a sniper striving to join the 'eye of a fly at 100 paces' club.

When not on duty or annoying people in the parking lot by shooting the cigarettes out of their mouths, he likes to go fishing. The big fish stories he tells are embarrassing.

Edited by Martian

Today we learned that:

1 Nathaniel T. Winters is a badass who can take a plasma round to the face, kill the alien while his own flesh is still sizzling from the sun-like heat of the plasma, then calmly whip out the medkit and patch himself up.

2. Frenchy is proving that extreme cowardice in the face of the enemy can be a positive career move. *salute*

3. Darkwombat has an awesome gravelly voice, and was all set to BOOMSTICK that alien in the ship, but Fayru just had to go be awesome again. Killstealer! (in reality he probably saved Darkwombat from shooting himself in the foot, so it's all good) :)

4. Msvknight Jr. had some good news (survived his first mission) and some bad news (acquired nickname "Private Junior").

Nice work on the night mission! Glad you brought everybody home alive.

Today we learned that:

1 Nathaniel T. Winters is a badass who can take a plasma round to the face, kill the alien while his own flesh is still sizzling from the sun-like heat of the plasma, then calmly whip out the medkit and patch himself up.

2. Frenchy is proving that extreme cowardice in the face of the enemy can be a positive career move. *salute*

3. Darkwombat has an awesome gravelly voice, and was all set to BOOMSTICK that alien in the ship, but Fayru just had to go be awesome again. Killstealer! (in reality he probably saved Darkwombat from shooting himself in the foot, so it's all good) :)

4. Msvknight Jr. had some good news (survived his first mission) and some bad news (acquired nickname "Private Junior").

Nice work on the night mission! Glad you brought everybody home alive.

In response to each:

1: I heard they were dangerous and hard to kill.... Thus far, not impressed.

2: Fastest way to get the cowards off the battlefield is to promote them off of it! Or shoot them, but that's bad for morale, especially since Frenchy is technically the squad leader right now.

3: Darkwombat will get his chance. SO BREACH THAT DOOR PRIVATE!

^^(Guess who didn't get promoted)^^

4: Msvknight Jr. did survive his first combat drop, and shall henceforth be known as: Corporal Junior.

And yes, it is awesome to see a full dropship come home.

In response to each:

1: I heard they were dangerous and hard to kill.... Thus far, not impressed.

2: Fastest way to get the cowards off the battlefield is to promote them off of it! Or shoot them, but that's bad for morale, especially since Frenchy is technically the squad leader right now.

3: Darkwombat will get his chance. SO BREACH THAT DOOR PRIVATE!

^^(Guess who didn't get promoted)^^

4: Msvknight Jr. did survive his first combat drop, and shall henceforth be known as: Corporal Junior.

And yes, it is awesome to see a full dropship come home.

Woops! I didn't notice Msvknight Jr got promoted as well. Congrats, Corporal Junior!

Darkwombat wanders off to get started on a truly massive chore list, one worthy of the only private remaining in a squad of NCO's. But he will be peeling those potatoes and cleaning those latrines in a dark and edgy fashion. :D:D

It's ok Darkwombat, I remember when I was a private, hopefully you make corporal without any new scars. But don't worry, we've got some fresh blood to help you clean those toilets, so show them how to do it with PRIDE! Also, my rifle needs some cleaning, and seeing as I have a meeting with Doc Bjorn, you can take care of that for me! Thanks!

I'm already thinking about my movie deal. Gonna call it "Winters: The true story behind the legend". I'm thinking I'll be played by Nathan Fillian, Msvknight Jr. will be played by Jay Baruchel, and Darkwombat will be Christian Bale, Fayru will be Tom Cruise, and Fend will be Will Farrell, with narration by Morgan Freeman or William Shatner.

Edited by Dirk Ralthar

Episode 5 is now live!

Thanks to Dirk for posting episode 4, thanks to all that have posted here as I really appreciate it. In this episode I talk about band names, Fayru plays the hero and Darkwombat gets promoted! Also there will be new arrivals starting in episode 8 so get ready for that. There is some serious drama coming so be ready for that too...

A good soldier takes on the enemy. A great soldier takes on the enemy still wounded from his previous drop! (Ok, it was one HP, so sue me).

And Darkwombat, Fayru did steal one of your kills again, just check the time units, you had another shot but noooooo Fayru wanted the glory.

Also, call me Sarge! And it was good to get out of the Medbay. If I have to see another 6'8", 300+ lbs Finnish Corpsman, I swear I will PT whoever was supposed to be watching my back till he $%@#ing dies!

And there was no toe stubbing, I've still got 12th degree plasma burns to prove it!

Edited by Dirk Ralthar

To Fend, if you are going to be basing a strike team out of Columbia base, then I volunteer for the transfer to be the grizzled old sergeant to break, I mean lead, the rookies there. Cause I'm so badass and stuff. They need a genuine war hero to look up to!

Just a little suggestion for the dropship formations as well. You've been making good use of the Charlie's side doors, but you should shift a trooper back to each door in the aircraft selection screen for troop layout. This way you save a few TU for the movement, and all you need to do is turn to look out. Might save someone's life (mine since I seem to be the guy checking the door) someday if there is a Xeno camped looking at that door and someone runs over to it.

My suggestion is to give the Major League Door Kickers (Fayru and D.Dub, a.k.a. Darkwombat, it's my new nickname for him) the first two sets of the armor, and to keep their armor at the highest tier to keep them in their roles (i.e. no Predator armor for them). Then Msvknight Jr. (he has really low HP to begin with) and myself (no one wants to see a dead medic), followed by Fend or Akabar, then FrenchyFirst, with the Sniper Kate Washington getting the last set in the squad.

We are also going to want some better firepower before too much longer, so it might be good to start to put focus on that.

Edited by Dirk Ralthar