[V1.09] Khall's Carbines/Shotguns + Extras Mod [V.1]

Khall

Random interjection: I've accidentally left this mod on while doing some testing and noticed that since you remove the assault rifle there's no default weapon for the rifleman class. It's a minor issue as (I imagine) people tend to make their own classes but have you considered updating the rifleman loadout since you can do that with the X:CE mod?

(As an aside, the little bits and pieces of this mod that I've seen I actually quite like. I'm tempted to give it a proper go whenever I stop modding for a moment.)

Digging further into your Strings.xml file, Khall, starting on Line 9225, you appear to copy/paste the alternating lines

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">weapon.lasercarbine</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Laser Carbine</Data></Cell>

Over nine thousand times.

That is not hyperbole. The next instance of the word "row" is on Line 25,620. then on the very next line, weapon.lasercabine.desc begins, and it is copied again over nine thousand times, that "row" ending on line 42,16.

I suspect this may not be intended. :)

[e]Also, just as a suggestion?

Hang game balance. The AK-47 as you depict it is clearly loaded with the 30-round banana magazine. I go in to the necessary files to change that myself, I'd suggest you make that a stock alteration. Don't need to mess with the upper tiers, just being a bit grognardy re: real guns.

Personally, I also kind of wish this game had more than the standard pistol. Like you have your standard 9mm, then you can have a low-accuracy but bullet-spraying one-handed machine pistol/PDW type weapon, such as the IMI Uzi, or a really heavy pistol like a Colt Python in .44, but it should require a soldier with over 70 STR to fire without penalties, ala heavy weapons.

Edited by ShadowDragon8685

Loved the mod, it dosent add silly weapons like dual pistols/revolvers or completely overpowed stuff , nor does it contain health buffs or increased throw ranges that makes the game trivial, the carbines somewhat fulfill de role of smgs in close quarters, closing the gap the vanilla game has between shotguns and assault rifles.

The fact that AK-47 already has its sprites just makes even more awesome, it dosent break immersion like other mods(not desqualifying other modders I know its hard to make sprites for Xenonauts, I just cant stand a smg being depicted like an AR or pistol)

Just think the shotgun should keep its 1.5 reaction modifier, right now they arent excelling on the role they are supposed to, close quarters assault, its far more safer to use carbines in almost every situation(unless the enemy is already supressed).

Keep up the good work!

Chacineiro, you might consider that shotguns are very good in close quarters assault. Their maximum potential damage received a buff: he set the damage of each pellet down to 3/5ths, but doubled the number of pellets, so the new maximum damage potential is 1/5th higher, and the damage will follow the curve more, giving you more assured likely damage.

A shotgun is good on the close quarters offense. Alien jackass crouched behind a low wall with a gun? Run up to the wall with a shotgun and feed him a faceful of hot lead/lasers/plasma/hypersonic ferrous metal.

But they are not good in close quarters defense, because they're big and cumbersome and difficult to bring to bear. In theory, though, this need not be the case; there is in theory some design space for, say, a short-barreled shotgun with a low ammo capacity but a hellacious reaction modifier. But I digress; if you want to get that delicious reaction fire, use a pistol or a carbine. If you want to blow someone the hell away at point-blank range, use a shotgun. If you want to get someone into point-blank range so he can blow an alien's face off without getting his own ass blown off from reaction fire, use a flashbang to get the alien's heads down. Or a full burst from a machine gunner.

Combined arms for the win.

I modded the AK to have a 30-round magazine, it was fairly simple. To add a bit of balance to that though, I also went and modified its magazine to take up a 1x2 slot in the inventory, since those banana mags are rather bulky.

Loving this mod all around, though.

I modded the AK to have a 30-round magazine, it was fairly simple. To add a bit of balance to that though, I also went and modified its magazine to take up a 1x2 slot in the inventory, since those banana mags are rather bulky.

Loving this mod all around, though.

I modded it to have the 30-round magazine and a five-round burst, because those things didn't actually have burst selectors, they just taught the shooters to fire controlled bursts of full auto.

Honestly, I think that's kind of important, because I'd realized that with the mod, I was giving practically everybody M16 Carbines, as despite the lower damage and range, the range seldom came into issue and the reduced TU for firing and the reduced carry weight was more than worth the reduced damage and inability to go to careful Aim.

Installed this mod on top of 1.09+CE 0.25 (non-modular one).

Everything worked fine until heavy laser research. It just hangs the game. Game stops responding to mouse.

First you get 2 xenopedia pop-ups: rapid-fire lasers and pulse lasers. You cant close them with a "close button", but you can with Esc.

Then, when the game offers to go to research screen you are stuck.

Tried ignoring heavy lasers and rushing to heavy plasma. Same thing happens.

Tried demolishing all base turrets, thinking they might be the problem - didn't work.

Edit: ok, seems that at some point ALL the research gets broken. Oh Joy.

Edited by Slit

I have the same issue at the same time - it screws up heavy research for me too.. I've added this mod on top of CE as well (adding the code directly into the different xml etc) and it worked just great until that point. :( Did you manage to fix it manually Slit?

Edited by Rosbjerg

I'll get on it, and let you know how it pans out! :)

Edit: I did a little tweak to it. When I launched the game I had the normal M16 for Ballistic rifle. So i went into the weapon_gsc.xml and changed the name of the Ballistic rifle from weapon.ak47 to weapon.rifle, and found the same lines in weapons.xml and strings.xml, and it's now the AK 47. Just a little heads up there. No problems other than that so far. :)

Edited by Aurock47

• 1 month later...
the carbines all act like shotguns from the vanilla game. 3 pellets, short range. any way i can edit how many pellets?

Go to weapons_gc, look for the weapon you want to modify and in the row that starts with "<burstfire" change shotcount to the number of shots you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
One issue I've found with the mod is that when I mouse over the weapons effected by the mod (on the right side of the loadout screen), I don't get shiny descriptions, but instead just BALLISTIC RIFLE or ammo.ballistic.ak47.

This. All I see is" Ak 47 :TBL" .What does TBL stand for? Says the same thing for Incendiary grenades. "TBL". Why is there no description for the added weapons for this mod? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

did you ever find out how to fix the problem? it happens to me too, but i try and press the escape key like Slit did and that doesnt work either. Im kind of dissapointed that i cant play the game after i reaserch heavy lasers because it is a really good mod

• 3 months later...

Mod appears to be broken in multiple ways according to people. (I've not used it, just seen it used)

The worst part about it is that the (laser?) carbines fire triple bullets with every shot, turning it into an absurdly overpowered weapon.

The original author seems to have disappeared a year ago and nobody's uploaded a fixed version as far as I can see.

A fix was mentioned on the workshop page if anyone wants to fix it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338350276

I know nothing about modding this game, but if nobody gets around to it, maybe I can look into it and upload a fixed version for anyone still wanting to use it.

Edit: The workshop version (and skaianDestiny's edit?) seems to not have the issue upon file inspection? Unless I have to actually install the mod and activate it for it to change things, then it isn't bugged? I have no idea, maybe the CE edition fixes it? I'm clueless.

In any case, if anyone wants to use this, don't use it from the OP, use either skaianDestiny's link or the version on the Steam workshop.

Edited by DAOWAce