Sniper no good at start

I don't get why the single sniper on the team can't shoot worth a darn at the start of a new game. He has a 30% chance to hit an alien target that is maybe 30 feet away from him - but he ends up hitting the group 8 feet away from himself, instead. It just doesn't make sense. If he is a sniper, he should be accurate from the start, and from a long range. Sure, he can always still get better, but to have a sniper that cannot make a sub-amateur shot doesn't make any sense. It's like it's his first day of training, and he's too scared by the gun to hold it so the muzzle points to something that isn't the ground.

I think it would be fun if the sniper had value as a recon - able to sight and shoot from distance, and shoot with moderately-acceptable accuracy from the start.

I think the sniper's bad aim is currently disproportionate to the aim which other infantry have at the start, in relation to their weapons.

You say it, this weapon is for long range, in close range is better other kind of weapons.

Actually the sniper is the most overpowered weapon in early game, maybe you dont know the rules behind it. First you need NOT to move when firing, this is a stationary weapon, no an assault weapon. Second never use this weapon at close range, because other weapons gain accuracy boost in close range. :P

Did you know how many people start? 4x Snipers and 4x Shotgunners.

Snipers are long rangers and use Aim, although early on they will still be bad until their accuracy improves.

I look at it this way, they are from the world`s best compared to other Humans, but here they`re dealing with Aliens. Just the psychological effect from that and shooting things they never originally ever expected to shoot (that are shaped differently and move differently) means they have to almost learn to shoot all over again.

That`s how i look at it anyway.

You also have to make sure you give the sniper rifle to a character who has decent Accuracy; if they have crap Accuracy, no matter what weapon you give them they're gonna be crap (though a shotgun may still work if you play the 'run up to enemy and shoot them in the face from 1 foot away' game).

Is this sniper actually someone with a decent (60+ for starting) accuracy score? Designating someone "sniper" means nothing. The accuracy score is what you want to look at.

True. The guy I designated Sniper is only just approaching an accuracy of 70. I`m waiting until he gets to 80 before I start to expect him picking out eagle`s eyes from a distance! Mostly all he does is miss. I give him a shotgun in his backpack for now.